It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2005, 03:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User
Question MS-related dental issues

Have any of you experienced MS-related dental issues? I have had many of the symptoms you would typically expect of MS, but during my dental check-up last week, the dentist informed me that I have MS issues with the nerves in my teeth/gums. My jaw teeth also show decay from the inside-out. Unusual!

Old 05-30-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
(female)

revlcb HB User
Re: MS-related dental issues

Very interesting, Kelli. About 1.5 years ago I had an aweful toothache. The Dentist couldn't find anything wrong with the tooth so we left it untreated and I didn't eat on that side for a few months in an attempt to see if the pain was due to irritation. The pain never fully went away so I had a root canal done then was supposed to have a crown put on. After having the root canal I still hurt, but it felt more like the pain was in my jaw/gums, like nerve endings being compressed every time I chewed. I have yet to get the crown because I still don't feel that the problem was solved. I'm undx to date, just started the gammut of tests for MS, but first MRI came back clear. Will go to neuro at end of month.

Decay from the inside out would actually make sense if it was MS related because the nerve would die first, thus killing the tooth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

Thanks for the comments! I, too, went to the dentist because I was certain there was an abcess under a filling. The tooth was fine! But the pain is intense. I am guessing that if this is MS, then it's going to do no good whatsoever to have any molars removed.

Old 05-31-2005, 06:00 AM   #4
(female)

WOBBLEY HB User

Hi, Sorry you are having such problems with your teeth. When I was first dx with MS two months ago my mouth felt so weird ... it felt like I had burned it by eating something too hot, my teeth were very sensative and felt like they were going to fall out, my mouth also felt numb and swollen (like I had been to the dentist). Also my tongue felt swollen and I talked funny. Thank goodness that feeling went away after I went in the hospital and had cortizone drip for five days (I didn't have any side effects afterwards) and I'm not having those feelings now. I still walk like I'm punch drunk and my eyes won't allow me to drive but I'm doing much better. Good luck to you and I hope your teeth feel better soon!

Old 05-31-2005, 12:26 PM   #5
(male)

outlaw56 HB User

Interesing To hear,I too am experiencing dental problems with the decaying ibside out and suffering infections in the gums. I am on morphine 24/7 yet on the weekend had to visit the emergency ward at my local hospital for anti biotics. Never in my 48 years had I experienced such pain and this was after I supplemented my daily MS contin dosage with 150 mg.s of Statex which brought Noo relief. At present I am considering having them all pulled and getting dentures. I also had to buy a jaw Dam as I tend to grind my teeth in my sleep.This is new to me. I hope you find some refief and some answers .

Old 05-31-2005, 05:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

Trueoutlaw29 - I feel for you! I have been told that I, too, may need a dental appliance because of nocturnal teeth-grinding. Dentist says I need about $3k worth of restoration work and it will be a lifelong battle to keep my own teeth. I am calling him Wednesday to inquire about partials. FYI - I sometimes use an antidepressant generic to help control pain and it is more effective than most other meds I have tried. You may also pursue asking your dentist whether you have any degree of TMJ as this can cause pinching of the facial nerves - including the trigeminal nerve - which can really set your teeth on edge (no pun intended). God bless you! I hope you're better FAST!

Old 06-01-2005, 10:21 AM   #7
(male)

tgronich HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliD
Have any of you experienced MS-related dental issues? I have had many of the symptoms you would typically expect of MS, but during my dental check-up last week, the dentist informed me that I have MS issues with the nerves in my teeth/gums. My jaw teeth also show decay from the inside-out. Unusual!

Hi Kelli,

I am a dentist with MS (diagnosed 1998). Fortunately the only problems I've had so far is numbness for which I've taken IV steroids a couple of times now.

Facial pain/numbness is often a symptom which often accompanies MS. TMJ problems can sometimes occur secondarily to this numbness or pain.

Decay, on the other hand, is a bacterial process. MS can't cause decay, but if your ability to brush properly is compromised because of your MS, the bacteria in your mouth (in the presence of sugar) will allow decay to form rapidly.

Inside-out decay is a little misleading too. The decay has to come from the outside and sometimes it is a tiny pin hole or groove where this happens. The bacteria enters through this small opening and explodes under the enamel, looking like it's inside out. Again, not caused by MS.

I've included an abstract from a study done on MS patients and dental complications:

A preliminary study into the dental health status of multiple sclerosis patients.

Symons AL, Bortolanza M, Godden S, Seymour G.

Department of Dentistry, University of Queensland, Australia.

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an inflammatory disease of unknown etiology involving the central nervous system. Since MS affects the whole body, orofacial aspects of the disease must be expected, particularly since loss of muscular coordination may result in a diminished ability to maintain oral hygiene. This preliminary study examined the dental health status of 22 volunteer MS patients. A questionnaire collected data regarding medical and dental histories and socio-demographic information. Extra- and intra-oral examinations were carried out on all subjects to determine the particular dental treatment needs of this special group. The DMFT and CPITN scores for this group did not indicate that MS patients were more susceptible to dental caries or periodontal disease. However, the prevalence of trigeminal neuralgia and symptoms of TMJ dysfunction in the group studied indicated that these conditions may be manifest in MS patients and warrant further investigations

Hope this helps. Good luck with your MS and dental problems.

Best wishes,

Tony

Old 06-02-2005, 02:00 AM   #8
(female)

mousemau HB User

hi all.....i too have dxed ms 18 months ago i am 52 and i also have problems with my teeth, they ache all the time and are very sensitive .....
cheers to you all
mousemau
queensland
aust.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:27 AM   #9
(female)

scampergirl HB User

I just read some of the questions and concerns about dental problems and MS. I am a dental hygienist with MS and I was so glad that Tony, being a dentist, responded to your concerns.

May I suggest that if you are having problems brushing and flossing your teeth that perhaps you try using an electric type toothbrush, there are several very good products on the market. Flossing can be more difficult if you have dexterity problems, try rinsing with Listerine, that will help kill the bacteria in the mouth.

If at all possible try to keep your teeth, I don't know all of your history's but dentures can be a lot of problems also. Just having teeth pulled and dentures is not the end of needing future dental work. They need maintenance as well.

Tony, I am glad that you are still able to work as a dentist. I have had to give up working full time and miss it terribly.

Best Wishes and !

Old 06-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

To TGRONICH - Thank you SO much for your reply! I will share that with my dentist. He had also said that because I obviously grind my teeth, that adds to the problem. It was also a relief to read about Trigeminal Neuralgia and TMJ being manifest among the MS study group - it gives some sort of psychological solidity to the problems I am experiencing and I feel better able to cope because of that.

Did the IV steroids genuinely help you with the numbness? I hesitate to pursue that. At one point during the odyssey of diagnosis, an internist had me on 9 different daily meds to treat symptoms. I ended up dumping all but the weekly injection of Avonex and an anti-depressant generic as needed for pain management. My mouth isn't numb..it alternates between painful and "electric."

Thanks again Tony! You've been an encouragement!

Old 06-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #11
(male)

tgronich HB User

Kelli,

Glad to know the info helped some. See if your dentist wants to make a night guard for you. It may help with the grinding.

The steroids absolutely took care of the numbness, but the after effects were truly annoying. Too many to name, but bottom line is I feel much better now.

Hang in there.

Tony

Old 05-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
(female)

Aprilsreighn HB User
Smile Re: MS-related dental issues

secondary progressive Ms diagnosed 2010 ,I have just been reading over the replies to your post and am genuinely shocked a bit. I to am experiencing my teeth decaying from the inside out...I am a little surprised by the dentist and dental hygenist replies. Ms or not I am a meticulous tooth brusher and flosser several times a day. To think that so many people with the same problem are all not brushing good enough to cause such severe tooth decay is simply not something I can digest. Looking back my problems started after using AVONEX .... 8 months in I started having problems with darkening right where my teeth meet the gum, they also started to feel brittle. I stopped Avonex shortly there after ,it has been about a year and my remaining teeth feel strong again but the damage is done. I have had 7 teeth removed since November of 2011. I am only 40 years old and I am Heart Broken. To me using certain immuno-suppressants are much more likely a cause for such severe tooth decay. I think more study should be done on our immune systems, it would seem to me they play a big roll in keeping bacterias down in your saliva.Hydration is also a factor in the health of your teeth. if you are on many meds then you know what a battle it is to stay hydrated. I start hydrating from morning till night then often i will get up in middle of the night to drink anther glass of water. I also use (Hydrating) Biotene Toothpaste & mouthwash but really so much damage has been done I am probably facing dentures. Anyway I hope yours is less severe than what I have experienced and I hope sooner than later better medicines and maybe even a cure will be found us, April

Old 05-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilsreighn View Post
secondary progressive Ms diagnosed 2010 ,I have just been reading over the replies to your post and am genuinely shocked a bit. I to am experiencing my teeth decaying from the inside out...I am a little surprised by the dentist and dental hygenist replies. Ms or not I am a meticulous tooth brusher and flosser several times a day. To think that so many people with the same problem are all not brushing good enough to cause such severe tooth decay is simply not something I can digest. Looking back my problems started after using AVONEX .... 8 months in I started having problems with darkening right where my teeth meet the gum, they also started to feel brittle. I stopped Avonex shortly there after ,it has been about a year and my remaining teeth feel strong again but the damage is done. I have had 7 teeth removed since November of 2011. I am only 40 years old and I am Heart Broken. To me using certain immuno-suppressants are much more likely a cause for such severe tooth decay. I think more study should be done on our immune systems, it would seem to me they play a big roll in keeping bacterias down in your saliva.Hydration is also a factor in the health of your teeth. if you are on many meds then you know what a battle it is to stay hydrated. I start hydrating from morning till night then often i will get up in middle of the night to drink anther glass of water. I also use (Hydrating) Biotene Toothpaste & mouthwash but really so much damage has been done I am probably facing dentures. Anyway I hope yours is less severe than what I have experienced and I hope sooner than later better medicines and maybe even a cure will be found us, April
Welcome April
The post to which you have replied is quite old. I would encourage you to write a new thread to introduce yourself.

Meds can certainly have an impact upon our teeth, but each MSer is different. I hope your situation gets better. Again, Welcome. I hope you will always feel welcome here.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The following user gives a hug of support to MSJayhawk:
Aprilsreighn (05-31-2012)
Closed Thread