It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User
Aspartame & MS

Question: Is there any validity to constant emails I receive re: Aspartame Poisoning being mistaken for MS? I don't want to debate the value or lack thereof of aspartame, but well-meaning friends continue to send this email as an encouragement and I am wondering what input any of you may have? My MRI shows lesions on the brain. Can aspartame do that? Can aspartame affect the tell-tale signs they look for in spinal fluid? Just looking for input. Thanks!

Old 06-02-2005, 01:28 PM   #2
(male)

outlaw56 HB User
Re: Aspartame & MS

I have never heard that before I did however years ago hear that just maybe Aspartame could be one of causes contributing to Imune problems. I take all rumourswith a grain of salt and my coffee with aspartame. I am sure your friends are just meaning well. This is a hard disease for people to understand. Thanks for your well wishes and your input on pain killers I have found a local dentist who is well versed with M.S. related dental problems as are all his staff and will be meeting with him on Tuesday Morning. Have a great Pain free Weekend Kiddo and Keep smiling .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
(female)

Moon Rising HB User

Hi Kelly, I'm a cook and our Coke distributor told me straight up that the aspertaime in diet coke causes a bad reaction if it gets too hot (86%) I think he said. Thats why they have diet coke with spenda now. I made my husband quit drinking it, he used to drink at least 4 cans a day. Guess where we kept our spare 12 packs of it?.......in the garage that gets hot! I buy only the diet coke with spenda now.
I've read horror stories about this stuff. I was a BIG Crystal Light drinker, now I dont touch the stuff. I look at lables on any diet drinks and almost all of them have aspertaime in it. I believe that it's not good for you, so I try to avoid it. I've heard the bad rumors about this stuff for years but just blew it off untill I recently got dxed with probable MS. Thanks for posting this.
---Moon

Old 06-07-2005, 07:59 AM   #4
(male)

turn2you HB User

I've also heard that when artificial sweeteners like aspartame and nutrasweet get too hot, they actually turn toxic.

There was also some discussion that aspartame causes brain tumours, but that's a claim generally rejected by researchers as having no validity.

Though it wouldn't put it past me that the American FDA was lobbyed and is keeping mum. Remember when Sweet N Low was required to put a warning that saccharine causes cancer in lab rats? Now the FDA has decided that's silly.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
(female)

dee88 HB User

I have also heard bad things about artificial sweetners like aspartame. I read somewhere a couple of years ago that it affects your memory (I would have to do some research on it). I used to drink diet coke like it was water. I stopped about 2 years ago when I found out I had ms. If your concerned about it, don't use it. I love my soda, so now I drink diet rite which has splenda (I hope that is safe).

Closed Thread