It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 03:50 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User
TMJ or MS?

Just a quick question - again! Does anyone have any way to distinguish at all what is MS and what is TMJ? Not that knowing is going to make it any better physically, but it would afford me some peace of mind. Symptoms: pain shooting from the "hinge" in my jaw down the side of my face and deep into the ear...stabbing pain in the gums..and a feeling that must be akin to sticking one's tongue into a light socket. Good thing my sense of humor stays intact! Thanks in advance for any input...

Old 06-03-2005, 08:13 AM   #2
(female)

scampergirl HB User
Re: TMJ or MS?

Kelli,

I don't know if this will help but when you wake up in the morning is your jaw sore or tired? Do you notice yourself clinching your teeth or grinding during the day? These can be signs of TMJ problems. Before I was diagnosed about 20 years ago I had some tingling in my jaw. I tried a nightguard but that did not help, so it was MS related. I did not have the shooting pains though that you are describing.

As Toni had recommended I would try the nightguard and see if that helps. If you are clinching and/or grinding it is better to wear away the nightguard than your teeth, nightguards are replaceable.

Good luck Kelli, hope that helped a little. It is hard to distinguish between the two, they both involve nerve pathways.

Scampergirl (also a dental hygienist)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 08:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

I wonder the same - I've had ms for 13 years and tmj for 3 months. I'm wondering if the ms could be causing my TMJ, and I'm have humming ears and facial and neck pain.
In the past before TMJ I have had probs with my ears and facial numbness and difficulty talking at times but never facial pain.

Old 06-03-2005, 08:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

Scampergirl and luvtocamp: thanks for the input. My dentist has suggested an appliance to protect my teeth. We're following through on the next visit in July. As for the pains you describe, luvtocamp, I've had them all. As I understand, MS, TMJ and Trigeminal Neuralgia can go hand in hand...? I'm not nearly so aggravated by the pain as I am not knowing exactly which problem is causing it. Re: the dental appliance or 'mouth dam,' is this just something you simply pop into your mouth at night or is it something that you "wear?"

Old 06-03-2005, 09:51 AM   #5
(female)

scampergirl HB User

Kelli,

The 'mouth dam' you are talking about is called the rubber dam. They place it over your teeth while having work done. That will keep the field of vision clear and prevent debris from falling down the back of your throat.

The nightguard is an appliance that comes in and out. They will take impressions of your teeth and make a custom fitting guard. You can wear it at night or even during the day if you are in a situation where you notice yourself clinching or grinding. Don't plan on public speaking if you wear it during the day, it will definately effect your speech. Watching tv or something like that would be okay however.

You are right though, all three of those symptoms go hand in hand, they can be one or the other or even all of them.

Scampergirl

Last edited by scampergirl; 06-03-2005 at 09:52 AM.

Old 06-03-2005, 12:05 PM   #6
(male)

tgronich HB User

Hey Kelli,

The symptoms you describe may be trigeminal neuralgia. It is characterized by a very painful, 'lightning' like shooting pain through the jaw that occurs many times a day. If that sounds like you, have your dentist, oral surgeon or neurologist take a look at it. There are some new therapies for it that are promising.

Hope this helps.

Tony (DDS)

Old 06-03-2005, 02:22 PM   #7
(female)

leap HB User

I had TMJ and it never occurred to me or my dentist that it could be MS related (although I did fill it in on my form, as an illness).
They do a test to see if your bite is "off". Mine was, and I had to wear this clear plastic thing with a glob on the bottom, over my top teeth 24hrs a day for 8 months to relax my jaw, and allow it to be "retrained" to see where it should go. As it turned out my problem was because years ago I had my top wisdom teeth removed, but not the bottom ones, so over the years my bite had shifted, until it arrived in the position that didn't allow me to open my mouth fully, and was causing pain all the time. My problem was fully resolved when he took out my bottom wisdom teeth, so let them do their tests, it may be something that can be solved. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2005, 08:36 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

I am undergoing testing for MS now. I feel pretty sure from all of my research that eventually it will show. I have only been symptomatic for almost a year now so I am in the early stages. But TMJ, now that I know I have and I know it isnt related. I fell in a garage and knocked my disc out of place (seen in an MRI, completely out of place rounded and dissolving) I had alot of sever pain and my jaw actually locked closed, so I have been on the extreme side of it. I had to have total bilateral joint replacements. As I said, I was on the far extreme side of it. I was unable to open enough to get one finger between my teeth. At one point I couldnt even open enough to get a pencil between them.

Your dentist can tell if it is actually TMJ by looking at your teeth. They can see bruxism and tell if you are grinding your teeth. It can cause alot of pain in your jaw, ears, neck and face, even shoulders and give you headaches. You might also notice a popping sound when you chew. This is due to the condyle hitting on the disc in your jaw. Usually in mild cases, they can take a mold and give you a bite splint to wear at night. Sounds like a few people here have them. It realigns your jaw and relaxes it so the disc goes back in to place. The disc is the main problem. They come in all different types. I've had many different types and some can get pretty expensive. The best thing you can do for it is go to Walgreens or drugstore like it. There is this thing called a "bed buddy". You heat it up in the microwave and it puts off moist heat and molds to the contours of your jaw so it gets where you need it. It will help. That and anti inflammatorys. I use alieve, sometimes alieve sinus because it also causes sinus pain. I was on alot of strong pain killers but needless to say I dont recommend that route. My prosthetics have been in for 9 years now so I have learned different ways to deal with it. It was kind of funny when I started going to the neuro for my ms symptoms and optic neuritis because jaw pain is one of the symptoms, but I quickly let him know that it was not part of my problem. Unfortunately, due to the metal it does block a good part of the veiw on my MRI. Good luck, I hope I have helped a little at least.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User

I get sharp, shooting pains in my jaw sometimes when I chew. Sometimes my jaw feels very tight and clenched. I was never diagnosed with TMJ, and several dentists have told me that my teeth are absolutely perfect. I think the pain that I get is just from some Trigeminal Neuralgia. But it is entirely possible to have MS and TMJ together! I don't think MS can cause TMJ, but it can certainly cause pain and numbness and tingling!

Has your dentist x-rayed your jaw to see if there are any abnormalities?

Old 06-12-2005, 09:54 AM   #10
(female)

Lutie47 HB User
Exclamation Re: TMJ or MS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliD
Just a quick question - again! Does anyone have any way to distinguish at all what is MS and what is TMJ? Not that knowing is going to make it any better physically, but it would afford me some peace of mind. Symptoms: pain shooting from the "hinge" in my jaw down the side of my face and deep into the ear...stabbing pain in the gums..and a feeling that must be akin to sticking one's tongue into a light socket. Good thing my sense of humor stays intact! Thanks in advance for any input...
undefined

Hello! My son has been diagnosed with MS and my mother has Trigeminal Neuralgia (a.k.a. "TNA") Many get it confused with TMJ ... I have been researching and have found that scientifically, it has been found that many MS patients end up with TNA ... it is located on the "gene pmp 22". It has also been told to my mother (and her sister who also has it) that this is the most painful disease known to man. It is the nerve that is next to the artery going into the brain ... they are all connected. Please look at the research into MS and TNA ... it is showing that there is a definite relationship.

Closed Thread