HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Is MS hereditary? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/297385-ms-hereditary.html)

Robin3948 06-23-2005 11:36 AM

Is MS hereditary?

I was just reading a post that a sister, brother and mother all in the same family have MS. I was wondering if it is hereditary? I don't know that much about MS (I've been trying to learn as much as I can), but I thought that it was not hereditary. I guess just hearing that 3 people in one family have it sounds a little strange (but I'm sure not uncommon) to me. Your feed back is greatly appreciated.

sunshine149 06-23-2005 11:39 AM

Re: Is MS hereditary?

I don't think it is "hereditary" in the traditional sense of the concept. It may be that a family has in common a variety of genetic and environmental factors that allow MS to develop.,

KelliD 06-23-2005 11:41 AM

Hi Robin!

I have been told it is NOT hereditary. However, my sister and I both have it. The latest research I have read says that more than one person in a family may have a genetic pre-disposition toward developing MS if environmental factors are just right.

Neither of my parents have it..yet my sister and I do. We have my parents' combined DNA.

How's your mom?

Robin3948 06-24-2005 10:43 AM

Hi KelliD,

My mom is doing ok. We have really extreme heat this week so I think it makes it a little harder on her even though she won't admit it and her air in her car isn't working. Her injection training went really good last night. She was so scared, but they gave her one of those injector pens and the nurse taught her some neat tricks so she didn't even feel it. Her hands are kind of weak and the button she has to push is kind of hard and in a hard place so she had a hard time pushing it in. She emailed me first thing this morning and said that she didn't have an of the flu like symptoms they say she could get and no injection site irritation. So I am very pleased that it went so well so now she won't be as nervous to do the shots. She is afraid that she didn't remember everything that she needs to know about doing the shot, so I told her that I would come over Saturday and help her. My brother is working on as I type to you on finding someone to fix her air conditioning. I'm off of work this afternoon so if they need me to, I can take it for her. I found out that my mom is not eating very well. It explains why she is losing weight. The nurse said that is probably why she is so tired cause she isn't eating a proper diet. She is too tired to make anything of even go to the store. If she doesn't go tonight, then I'll take her or go for her tomorrow. All she eats during the day is half a sandwhich and a few chips for lunch and bowl of cereal for dinner. No breakfast. We got lots of good ideas yesterday, I just need to remind her to stick to them.
Thank you for being so supportive. You've been great! I told my mom about this site, but I couldn't remember the web address. I'm going to email it to her today and hopefully she'll check it out.
I'm sorry if I seem to only be talking about myself and my mom.
I can't remember if you ever told me, but when were you dx with ms? What about your sister? I bet it really helps to have someone that has what you have to talk to. At least she knows what you are going through. Do you know if there is away to hav a test done to know if you have the MS gene? I'm guessing not since MS overall is really hard to dx.
Do you have any children? Married? What symptoms did you have that you started going to a dr? Do you have to take shots too? I'm sorry to ask so many questions. I just want to get to know you better. I don't want to always make our conversations about me and my problems. I want to be there for you and the others in this chat room. Thanks again for being so great!
Robin

KelliD 06-24-2005 05:35 PM

Hi Robin!

Thanks for the update on your mom. I am SO glad her injection training went well!!It will be a breeze for her once she gets used to it.

I didn't realize she wasn't eating well. I went through that during the dxing phase...I just didn't feel good..I was nauseous all the time because of MS-related dizzines. She DOES need to feed her body good foods...taking care of her immune system will defintely help. And if she hasn't been eating well, that can also account - at LEAST in part - for the mental fogginess you've seen in her, and her depressed mood.

No apologies necessary for talking about your mom and yourself!!! That's why we're all here-to listen, help and encourage! I hope your mom will log on soon!!

In answer to your questions...I was dx'd w/ MS in January 2004. My sister was dx'd in 1988. I don't know if any tests exist to determine probability. You'll want to ask your doctor about that.

I do have a child, a son -age 7. I am divorced.

You asked what symptoms I experienced at diagnosis. In retrospect, I now see there were MANY that I attributed to other supposed problems. One day I began experiencing severe pain in my armpits, of all places! I graduated from that to all sorts of strange pains and sensations in my head...it was finally the report of double vision that won me a trip to the MRI center.

Yes..I do take shots. I chose Avonex because it's a once-a-week deal and I liked what I read when I researched it against other meds. I know the others are very good. This is the one that seemed as though it would work best for me.

Hope I answered all your questions! You keep checking in..and keep encouraging your mom to log on, too. You sound like a great daughter!

lorka150 08-08-2005 09:45 PM

Hello,
Like you said, it's not hereditary, but oddly enough, like others, my mom, her sister, and my sister all have MS. Brutal.

cutz 08-09-2005 11:58 AM

i have heard before that there is a 20% chance of it being hereditary. got the info from some medical books i was doing reseach on.....hope it helps answer your question..........cutz

Jewel2 08-09-2005 12:07 PM

It is well accepted that there is a genetic predisposition component to MS.

The most recent statistics I read are as follows:

In general the odds of contracting MS in high-risk areas -- Northern US and Canada, northern Europe, are somewhere between 1 in 500 and 1 in 1000.

The odds of the child of someone with MS contracting MS are somewhere between 1 in 25 and 1 in 50. Siblings of people with MS have similar odds.

If both parents have MS, the odds of their child contracting MS are about 1 in 20.

Adopted children have about the same odds as the general population of contracting MS.

The odds of an identical twin contracting MS after the sibling twin contracts MS, are somewhere between 1 in 3 and 1 in 4.

Second and third degree relatives of people with MS have odds of about a 1 in 200 of contracting MS.

djpihavems 08-09-2005 01:19 PM

And even if it's not MS, auto-immune disease in general, occurs in families.