It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2005, 04:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User
Prior (illicit) drug use

Finally getting up the nerve to ask about this. Back in the day, 20-23 years ago, I had something in common with Richard Prior. And doesn't he now have MS? For 3 years I used cocaine and methamphetamine, pretty heavily. My "friends" and I would be cooking up freebase (precursor to crack cocaine) laughing about what Richard Prior must have done to set himself on fire...not a chapter of my life I am proud of, and it keeps nagging at the back of my mind that my current problems are my own fault. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about a link, I haven't really found much on the web.

Old 07-03-2005, 05:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User
Re: Prior (illicit) drug use

Lilc...far as I know, there is no link. It doesn't jibe with any of the research out there.

Even if we did know what causes MS, that doesn't matter much without a cure to accompany it.

I don't think you brought this on yourself. You shouldn't think that way, either. You are a new creation, albeit in a fallen world. Chin up, eh?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

Kelli, you know you would fit right in in northern Minnesota, with the Canadian "eh"! (You know how Canada got its name - they put the alphabet in a hat, started drawing letters and said, "'C' eh? 'N' eh?...)
Can't HELP but keep the chin up, but I may be thinking too much today. Went to church (YAYYY! I love my church) but it took everything out of me, and feeling like a prisoner in my apartment - it is way too hot here in Phx.
It's funny how invincible I felt when I was younger, and that I never gave any thought to consequences.
On the airplane I read an article about a woman who works with meth users, it mentioned brain damage. While I am now "Bapticostal", I was raised Lutheran, pretty close to Catholic where guilt is concerned. It jumps up to bite me sometimes.
One of my greatest fears - no, it is my singular greatest fear - is of becoming an invalid who cannot take care for myself, as a result of my own actions. The most dificult forgiveness is forgivenss of self...
And of course, I'm closing in on the EPs on Thursday, and realizing I have no appointment yet for the results!
Thanks, as always, DJ. How's your 4th shaping up?

Old 07-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

Funny you would say that. I used to vacation in Northern MN @ the border. Loved nature..loved the people. Would've moved in a heartbeat if I could've carved out a living there.

Though I am not medically trained, I do believe there is a difference between "brain damage" and scarring on the brain tissue, which is what MS is. Regardless, that was then, this is now. You are a different person...not your own. Look for a sermon coming soon to an e-box near you! <grin>

Have you ever had EP's before? The tech who did mine was able to give me the results immediately, though she was not supposed to. That was the neuro's job. Anyway....assuming you're having the same thing done that I did, they don't hurt. They in and of themselves are not the definitive answer to whether you have MS, but evidence to be weighed along with the results of the LP. You know I'll be praying...keep us all posted!

Old 07-03-2005, 07:57 PM   #5
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Hi Lilc,
I've never heard anything about a connection. I know many, many people with MS who never did drugs at all. MS is indescriminate.

Bapticostal - funny! That's me, too! Forgiveness of self is difficult, especially when we deeply regret things we did. You have to remember that you have been redeemed, and are no longer captive to the past. And when the enemy reminds you of your past, just remind him of his future!

Blessings,
Julie

Old 07-03-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

Thank you both. God Bless you. Can't wait for the sermon - warning - I'm prone to SHOUTING!!!

Old 07-04-2005, 05:04 AM   #7
(female)

chocolate chip HB User

Hi lilc,

I agree with Jewel because it's hard to explain the MS sufferers who have never touched illicit drugs at any time in their lives. Equally, it's just as hard to explain all the millions (even billions) of regular drug users who've been taking them for decades, are in their 50's, 60's and 70's and yet still DON'T have MS.

We're far more likely to discover it's an innocent disease caused by something which is way beyond a person's control.

If the connection is truly there, then I'm sure it would have been made public a long time ago.

At least we're lucky enough tol live in truly hopeful times when a solution could be just around the corner .

Old 07-05-2005, 10:15 AM   #8
(female)

Pruedence HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilc
Finally getting up the nerve to ask about this. Back in the day, 20-23 years ago, I had something in common with Richard Prior. And doesn't he now have MS? For 3 years I used cocaine and methamphetamine, pretty heavily. My "friends" and I would be cooking up freebase (precursor to crack cocaine) laughing about what Richard Prior must have done to set himself on fire...not a chapter of my life I am proud of, and it keeps nagging at the back of my mind that my current problems are my own fault. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about a link, I haven't really found much on the web.
When I was dxed 30yrs ago, I asked my doctor right from the start. I too liked to party. So I just came out and asked the questions. He said there was no connection between the two. I was relieved to know that I did not bring this burden on myself. I still smoke mj, it helps my ms. I only smoke when needed, usually waiting til evening when all of the day is done...then I relax and feel better. Just thought I would put my 2 cents worth in. I hope this helps you. Take Care,
Pruedence

Last edited by Pruedence; 07-05-2005 at 10:16 AM.

Old 07-05-2005, 11:11 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

I still know a couple of folks who like to smoke - they immediately mentioned hearing that mj is sometimes prescribed for MS pain! I can't see myself using it, though. Last time I smoked I just got hopelessly silly and ravenously hungry (it was a while back, but not as long ago as the other stuff - just confirmed it hadn't changed!)
I do believe in medical use, however. Watched a friend die from a brain tumor several years ago, it ended up being the only thing that kept him from constantly throwing up, allowed him to have some degree af nomalcy through the last 6 months of his life.

Thank you, everyone, I should have asked sooner, wouldn't have carried that undue guilt as long!

Old 07-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

So I see by your last comment that you don't need that sermon on guilt afterall...ha! Undue guilt brings on stress, stress aggravates the MS...yada yada yada...Hope you're feeling well today -

Old 07-05-2005, 06:00 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

Yes, I get it. Still have PLENTY-O-GUILT without this particular "ping"!
I am managing today, haven't tried to do too much and have had LOTS of rest (almost 11 hours last night). But (never thought I'd say this) I am counting the hours until I leave this climate. 114 today, even though I stay in A/C as much as possible each day has been a little more tingly and weary.
How about you? You probably didn't have the option to sleep through fireworks because you have a son, I'm praying it didn't set you back.

Closed Thread