It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2005, 11:33 PM   #1
(female)

Sharon Grace HB User
Taking meds thru airport security...

Hi everyone! I am travelling by plane in a few months and I'm a little concerned. It will be my first air trip taking my Rebif injections with me. Any advice on what I need to take with me to help get me through the tight airport security? I don't want any last minute problems. Will a doctors note be sufficient? Anybody have problems with their injectables at the airport? Any advice or feedback will be most helpful. Thank you! Sharon Grace

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2005, 11:53 PM   #2
(female)

crystal22 HB User
Re: Taking meds thru airport security...

Get a note from your MD explaining that you self inject medication and need to have it with you on the plane. Keep it in your carry-on stuff (obviously), and that should be sufficient to get you on the plane, as long as you aren't traveling overseas. I would get there earlier to prepare for any delays that might come up while you are arranging everything. Otherwise you shouldn't have any problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2005, 12:18 AM   #3
Inactive

ImL8 HB User

I flew to Chicago last March via Salt Lake City and was expecting a delay or even a challenge. I can't remember where it is, whether the Rebijet case or the little "freezie" pack to put your med in, but one of them has a little note in there, saying that the medication is for MS. Anyway, put my backpack (with the Rebijet and the medication) on the X-ray thing, it zipped it through, and no one said a thing!!!

Old 07-06-2005, 06:58 AM   #4
(male)

rawdeal10 HB User

I recently flew from Detroit to Vancouver,Canada. All you actually need is your prescripted med.s in their original bottles or packages. I hand carried my betaseron injections along with the rest of my prescribed meds in my carry-on luggage. I had no problems.Your name is on all of prescriptions, they match it with your Drivers license or any other valid ID. I also had a note from the doctor stating I was on the med.s but they never asked for it.Have your birth certificate if you would be traveling out of the country. As of Dec. 2005 you need a passport to get into Canada and Mexico. Have a nice flight.

Old 07-06-2005, 08:02 AM   #5
(female)

Dawn36 HB User

To head off any problems, also call the airlines you are flying on and ask them specifically what you need to do. Different airlines may have slighlty different procedures.

Old 07-06-2005, 08:37 AM   #6
Veteran

baddoey HB User

I had no problems with my copaxone leaving the US (I did get a note from my doctor - the autoinject was taken out and looked at once) - I was traveling to europe for a few weeks, so I have about 20+shots with me- but coming back was a little more tricky. the people at the check-in desk were a little more concerned and had to "flag" me - I also had to check in with a flight attendent when I boarded that I was carrying needles. I don't think that they understood that this was for treatment reasons - I think they were concerned if for some reason I needed a shot and couldn't get it - like with diabetes. . all in all a no-brainer

Old 07-06-2005, 09:56 AM   #7
(female)

LaDeeDa HB User

I always carry a letter my doctor gave me stating why I'm carrying Copaxone. I also have the prescription label that comes on my package every month.

Until about a year ago Copaxone was supposed to be a visual inspection, not x-rayed, because the manufacturer had not completed tests to see if it would be compromised by radiation. That was such a pain because some of those inspectors would drag it all out and grill me like I was carrying anthrax or something. I'd tell myself to relax, they were being diligent and keeping us all safe. But still, I always wondered how diabetics handled the situation.

When it was announced that Copx could be x-rayed with no detrimental effects I was so glad. I haven't had a single instance where I've been questioned, but I still carry the letter and most current prescription label.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:46 AM   #8
(female)

djpihavems HB User

with all that is going on in the world, you would think people would notice needles more.

but, they don't.

i travel all the time for work, and fly several times a month. i have been traveling with syringes for years. i think someone asked me about them once. i have an old crinkly letter from my dr that i showed them. no problem at all.

Closed Thread