It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 05:21 AM   #1
(female)

paula_k22 HB User
Aged 22, newly diagnosed, working life, MRI

I am 22 and was diagnosed with MS last week. My symptoms came on very suddenly 7 months ago, affecting all of my right side. I could not walk or use my hand for about 8 weeks. I am now walking and using my hands as normal. I am hoping to go back to work in the next few weeks. Are there any people with MS that manage a normal working life? It has come as a big shock to me as I had just graduated from university and started my first job when all this happened.

Is there anyone else in their 20's worrying about how they will cope with work?

Although my symptoms have cleared up, I sometimes get very heavy/numb feelings in my foot and shin when I''m in bed at night. Does anyone else get this?

I have had 2 MRI scans 6 months apart. Two lesions were found initially and this had not changed 6 months later. Is it a good sign that no more lesions have appeared in the past six months?

I hope someone will be able to help with my questions. I would really like to hear from people going through something similar.

Thanks
Paula

Old 07-12-2005, 06:07 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mikosha HB User
Re: Aged 22, newly diagnosed, working life, MRI

Hi, Paula
I have MS for more than 20 years and I work full time.In my latest evaluation my boss said I am ^^sick time role model^^ because I never call sick and manage to go for treatments on the weekends.In our MS center we have infusion suit, so I know a lot of people with MS-they all work full time.I had fears about my future condition too.
About changes on MRI, some neurologists don~~t even repeat MRI.You can get better and still have new leasions or opposite.
Good luck,

MIKOSHA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2005, 06:18 AM   #3
(female)

kchs1 HB User

Hey Paula, I'm 25. I was diagnosed a month ago. Sweetie you are Blessed. I have not been able to walk soley on my own or to function normally for 4 months. I am getting there but still not there. Give God thanks that your symptoms are not all crazy and severe and that you can go out to work daily. I cant wait for the day that I can do that.

I get that funny foot feeling amongst others. Trust me sweetie you are not alone.

Keep us posted on your progress. Dont be afraid to ask questions or vent.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:35 AM   #4
(female)

Dawn36 HB User

Paula: I, too, have had MS for 20 years and have always worked full time. If you can go back to work, god bless and go for it. MS is a highly variable disease that affects everyone differently.

Having no new lesions after 6 months is a good sign. The longer you can go with no new lesions, the better. My neuro recommends getting an MRI once a year to monitor lesions.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:35 AM   #5
(male)

davwhi HB User

I was diagnosed when I was 26. I had a very bad couple of years but then things started to improve. For a long time after that I had relatively minor symptoms that were invisible to the outside world.
It's now 23 years later and I'm still working and have just started using a cane.

Being well educated in a big advantage for anybody with MS. Since it can become impossible to manage a physically demanding, manual labour type job.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:51 AM   #6
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Hi,
My daughter was diagnosed at age 19. She had paralysis from the neck down and total blindness in both eyes. She is now 25 and has to make it on disability and help from the family. It has been a very tough battle for her, but it's different for everyone. You have to have hope! Many times MS just hits once or twice a year and causes stress and messes up life for a period of time, but the rest of the time is okay. My mom has a relatively mild case of MS and went for 14 years before we noticed things weren't quite right. She has stayed active, doing many things with her grandchildren.

After a MS diagnosis I think people should keep pushing forward with living their lives as they intended, modifying their activities as needed to accomodate the MS.

Have you started a therapy yet? That might be your best option for keeping it somewhat in check.

Best wishes to you,
Julie

Old 07-14-2005, 09:07 AM   #7
(female)

djpihavems HB User

Hi Paula,
I feel your pain. I was diagnosed in high school, so I know what it is like to be a young person with the disease. Happily, I went through university, and into the workforce with very few problems. You just have to be extra aware of yourself and your body. Pay attention to yourself. Get plenty of sleep. Try to eat well, and exercise as much as you can. Keep up your general health. The MS will be your weakest link, and the first thing to go if the rest of your life gets run down. But, you can do all the young person stuff - school, work, dating, time with friends, sports. It's all possible. I have been doing it for 10+ years.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:52 PM   #8
(female)

fancycanelady HB User

Hi,
I've had MS for 30 years and for 20 of those years was pretty good with only a few flare-ups. I retired at age 40 (10 years ago) due to 5 back surgeries and only just recently have had another fairly severe flare-up that leaves me to walk with a cane and have daily headaches with lots of eye pain as well as dizziness. I lost most of the sight in my right eye 30 years ago and that started the ball rolling for the MS tests. My only advice is (like all the others) to get plenty of rest whenever you feel the need and to listen to your body, 'cause the doctors don't know what's going on.., unless you tell them - repeatedly! Good luck!

Old 07-18-2005, 01:59 PM   #9
(male)

Sound Guy HB User
Wink Re: Aged 22, newly diagnosed, working life, MRI

Hello all I can say is I was in the same Boat that u are. I was just out of school. I was moving forward into my career as a Touring sound engineer (BRAINS and HANDS) kind of atmosphere. I was out on the Road Sevndust mixing a show when all of a sudden there were two stages instead of one.

I went hrough treatment as they rush me in and found lots of whatever they call it OH yea Lesions; it has been four months, and I am back out on tour so live everyday the best that u can or at least that is how I look at it
its very irritating on the eyeballs for me,but as far as working "it can be done,or at least I hope so cause I am in my twenties as well so this thing cannot win if u know what I mean.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:02 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

I am 31 and was DX'd at 23. I had numbness and weakness on my left side with visual loss in my left eye. It took a couple to months to recover. I have worked full time ever since....even though I have had episodes since then.

Take care of yourself. It took me a long time to know limits. It turns out, I'm not very limited! I just have to pace myself, get plenty of sleep and eat healthily.

Closed Thread