It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 08:50 AM   #1
(female)

nicolene HB User
Diagnosed with possible MS

Hi there
I have recently been diagnosed with possible MS. It started last year when I was treated in hospital with steriods for loss of strength in my legs. A month ago I was diagnosed with a drop foot and optical neurites in my one eye. I have been for a MRI scan as well as a LP. All the test came back negative. I will be going to another neurologist for a second opinion soon. Is there anyone that have possible MS and started with treatment or have similar symptons?

Nicolene
South Africa

Old 07-12-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User
Re: Diagnosed with possible MS

Hello Nicolene,
I'm sorry you are having problems without a conclusive reason. That is a frustrating situation.

Sometimes it takes a while for all of the evidence to confirm a diagnosis of MS. Many people have the symptoms for months or years before their MRI or LP pick it up.

I think a second opinion is a good idea. On what parts of your body did they do the MRI? Was it with and without contrast?

In the meantime, keep an accurated journal of symptoms including frequency and duration. You may also want to record what activities you were doing when symptoms worsen.

Best wishes,
Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

Nicolene, Jewel is right, get the second opinion, keep a journal (at least jot things down where you can find them when you go for an appointment!) and know you are not alone. Many of us are "working on" a diagnosis, it can take a while and be frustrating. Educate yourself, but keep your chin up!

Old 07-12-2005, 06:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

Hello Nicolene!

An MS diagnosis is reached by process of elimination. Because MS can mimic so many other problems, it takes some time to get to the bottom of what is causing your problems.

My doctor sent me to see a neuro-opthalmologist in late 2003 because one of the first places in the body to show evidence of MS is the eyes. My eyes were great! But my symptoms persisted. A couple of months later, my MRI and Lumbar Puncture showed evidence pointing to MS.

So, in answer to your question....yes. MS symptoms can come on for some time before a firm diagnosis can be made.

Please keep checking in on this board and let us know how your process is going and how you are feeling...?

Old 07-13-2005, 02:52 AM   #5
(female)

nicolene HB User

Thanks all for your advice, it's much appreciated! I realise now that I am not alone and that there are other people that face the same kind of challenges and understand what I am going through right now. In reply to your answer Kelli, I believe I had the MRI on my brain and spine. Can you maybe explain to me what you mean with "with/without contrast"?

Nicolene

Old 07-13-2005, 06:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

Hi Nocolene...not being medically trained, I'll explain with/without contrast in the simplest terms I know how.

It is simply the process of doing a regular MRI and another where dye is injected into your bloodstream. The neurologist will use those pictures in a side-by-side comparison to look for lesions and how the MRI's compare to each other.

When will you go for your second opinion?

Closed Thread