It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
(female)

mom2bandc HB User
Question ?s about husbands symptoms, Need HELP/support

Can the fatigue come on suddenly with all the other symptoms?

I posted about 2 weeks ago when all this started happening. My husbands right side went all numb/weak/loss of balance. Even his right side of his face went numb. And still he is numb and weak.

He has had a bunch of tests so far: MRI, MRA, blood, urine, CT scan, and is going through physical therapy right now. So far all the tests have come back negative. (we are still waiting for the MRA results and some of the blood tests).

Does this sound like MS? He has also had a constant headache since this all started suddenly on June 30th.

It just seems that since all this my husband has been so tired all the time. I am trying to be very supportive but it is hard when we have 2 small kids and I feel like I am doing most all the work around the house.

I am just very frustrated not having an answer to all this! I love my husband dearly and I want him to be better. I am also stressing about the financial aspects. Right now he is on short term disability because of this "episode" and it is only 66% of his pay. That really hurts us because as it is we live pay check to pay check.

Wow, I sound really whinny right now. I appoligize. I guess I am just needing some support.

How do your spouses react? What can I do to help my husband through all this?

Thank you for any help.
Trish

Old 07-12-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User
Re: ?s about husbands symptoms, Need HELP/support

Hi Trish...yes, fatigue can come on suddenly and stay a looong time. Plus, your hubby is probably mentally fatigued with concern over what is happening to him. All of the symptoms you describe can definitely be present in MS...which flares then fades, then flares and fades again in most people. Everyone's experience and duration is different.

How to best help your husband? Two ways: encourage him to stay positive and not give up or live in fear....and encourage yourself likewise. Check in on this board often and talk when you need to. Don't EVER worry about sounding "whiney." We've all been there and done that...and will probably do it again! <grin> We are here to help. Let us?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2005, 08:01 AM   #3
(male)

outlaw56 HB User

The exhaustion can present itself at any time and it will stop you in your tracks, even with all the meds I am on occasionally I will just deflate for want of a better term. It can hit you like a brick and there is really nothing that I know of you can do except rest and ride it out.I knowthis won't help but at least you now know that it is common. I hope you all have a good day.

Old 07-13-2005, 08:59 AM   #4
(female)

paula_k22 HB User

Hi, I'm Paula, I'm 22 and have just been diagnosed with MS. My symptoms came on very suddenly like your husband's. 6 months ago my right hand began to go numb. This numbness quickly spread all over the right side of my body, over about an hour. I couldn't feel anything or move at all. I couldn't walk or use my right hand. I was initially told I had had a stroke and I spent 5 weeks in hospital. Gradually all the feeling came back. After about 2 months I was walking as normal. Now 6 months later I have been told it was not a stroke at all, I have MS. However, I now have no symptoms, other than I get tired and my arms and legs ache sometimes.

Try to keep positive and if you have any more questions, please get in touch. I'd love to hear from you.

Paula

Old 07-14-2005, 04:59 PM   #5
(female)

mom2bandc HB User

Thank you all for replying.

Paula, you sound just like my husband. First the right side of his face went all numb and it really scared him, he was at work and went to the nurse. He was in her office with a cold compress on his head and then when he got up to walk around about 30 minutes later his right side was all numb-weak. He could hardly walk at all. He was limping really bad. - I don't know how he drove himself home! and I can't believe they let him drive himself home!

What tests diagnosed you? So far he has had MRI, CT, blood, urine, x-rays, MRA. I am not sure what is next. He is also doing physical therapy and that seems to be helping some. He is getting strength back on his right side but says that his face is still numb. I just dont know what to do next. Right now we are waiting on results of blood work that is testing for lyme and some other things. Hopefully friday we will have some answers.

I will keep you posted. THanks for the support. I really helps me have a place to come and be with other's going through all this too.
Smiles, Trish

Closed Thread