It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 06:51 PM   #1
(female)

susieQ429 HB User
Question Missing work

I am concerned about losing my job due to so many absences. My short term goal is to make it through the day and my long term goal is to make it through the 5 day work week. My boss is understanding and I do have work that I can do at home periodically (if I feel up to it). My job is not physically demanding. I sit at a PC all day. Mentally, I can't stay focused, my eyes go blurry and annoy me and the fatigue is great. I can have one good day, followed by 5 bad days. The hot weather brings out the worst in me. My PCP recommended that I make an appt. with an neurologist at The Cleveland Clinic who specializes in adult MS and neuroimmunology. I have one more month before my appointment.

I guess the question is: How much do I tell my boss and the HR person who has an office next to mine?

Last edited by susieQ429; 07-13-2005 at 06:55 PM.

Old 07-13-2005, 08:19 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User
Re: Missing work

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieQ429
I am concerned about losing my job due to so many absences. My short term goal is to make it through the day and my long term goal is to make it through the 5 day work week. My boss is understanding and I do have work that I can do at home periodically (if I feel up to it). My job is not physically demanding. I sit at a PC all day. Mentally, I can't stay focused, my eyes go blurry and annoy me and the fatigue is great. I can have one good day, followed by 5 bad days. The hot weather brings out the worst in me. My PCP recommended that I make an appt. with an neurologist at The Cleveland Clinic who specializes in adult MS and neuroimmunology. I have one more month before my appointment.

I guess the question is: How much do I tell my boss and the HR person who has an office next to mine?
I was upfront with my boss. But then I had a hard time hiding it. When I got hit with my first real dose of this stuff I had come to work and felt weird but then by 10:00 am I couldnt walk or even lift a file. I had to call my mom to come and get me and take me to the dr and couldnt even drive home. They are very aware of my situation having witnessed my inability to walk several times now. They were there when I was trying to figure out why I was having a hard time seeing as well. In the end it is best to be honest with them. I have been with my company for several years and they see me come in even when I am really feeling bad. In fact when my insurance wouldnt cover my provigil my boss tried to get me to let him pay for it. They have even driven me to the dr when I couldnt make it myself. I dont know what kind of company you work for or how long you have been there. We are a smaller company. Only 9 CSRs and 4 producers. We are also very tight knit. One of our employees was murdered this time last year by her husband. It really brought us alot closer and we look out for each other. I guess what I am saying is it really depends on your company and your relationship with your boss. I know I am very lucky. My boss actually MAKES me go to some of my appts. I am just tired of doctors. But he gives no quarter on that... he said he wants me to be there a long time and if I need help...then they are there.

Erin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2005, 09:11 PM   #3
(female)

Sharon Grace HB User

I know how hard it can be to decide when and how much to disclose at work. I have my own business and didn't tell my customers for years. I always had an excuse like colds or flu or allergies. Two months ago, I had an attack that left me unable to walk for a month, so I finally decided to tell everyone, even though I was scared I'd lose some business. I was thrilled that everyone I told about my MS was very supportive and every person even knew someone else in their life who has MS (a relative or friend), so everyone already knew about it. I didn't have to explain anything. Everyone I work with is understanding and allows me a flexible schedule to work with my good days/bad days problem. I was afraid to tell all these people, and they all ended up being so sweet and supportive it made my cry. You have to make your own decision in your situation, but you might be pleasantly surprised at the amount of support and understanding you get out there. I hope it all works out ok for you. Let me know how it goes. Best of luck..Sharon Grace

Old 07-13-2005, 09:17 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

shellymay HB User

SusieQ429,

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I too, was missing alot of work. It all started around October of 2004. When January 2005 hit I was out of work for the whole month and part of February. I went back to work the middle of February and worked until April 1st and then I was out again and have been ever since. Are you fulltime with benefits? I am, and my company offers short and long term disability, that's what I am on until they can figure out what is wrong with me. You don't get all of your pay but every little bit helps. I don't know how you are going to work, you must be a really strong person. When I would go to work and have some of my symptoms they would scare me and then I would end up having a panic attack. It is very hard for me to go anywhere period. I used to enjoy going anywhere, especially shopping, and I can't do it anymore. The off balance and dizziness and weird sensations in my head really bother and scare me. I hope that you can work something out with your boss. Good luck to you!!!

Michelle

Old 07-14-2005, 07:42 AM   #5
(female)

WOBBLEY HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymay
SusieQ429,

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I too, was missing alot of work. It all started around October of 2004. When January 2005 hit I was out of work for the whole month and part of February. I went back to work the middle of February and worked until April 1st and then I was out again and have been ever since. Are you fulltime with benefits? I am, and my company offers short and long term disability, that's what I am on until they can figure out what is wrong with me. You don't get all of your pay but every little bit helps. I don't know how you are going to work, you must be a really strong person. When I would go to work and have some of my symptoms they would scare me and then I would end up having a panic attack. It is very hard for me to go anywhere period. I used to enjoy going anywhere, especially shopping, and I can't do it anymore. The off balance and dizziness and weird sensations in my head really bother and scare me. I hope that you can work something out with your boss. Good luck to you!!!

Michelle
Michelle,
I know exactly what you mean about being hard going anywhere. Everytime I go to the grocery store (thank goodness for the shopping basket) I am soooo
tired when I get home I have to lay down. I use to enjoy going shopping or out for fun but now it really bothers me. If I try to do too much I get real dizzy and loose my balance.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:23 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

When this first started I had to go to the store. It took me 10 minutes to get from the door to the pharmacy. This young kid comes to me and asks if I want one of their scooter thingies. I was so offended. I gave him...you know...the look. Then I kept walking to the pharmacy.

It is hard to get use to. But I am getting there. I have learned to take advantage of the scooter thingy when I must.

Erin

Closed Thread