It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2005, 05:42 AM   #1
(female)

ab123 HB User
Headaches

Just curious....How many of you get headaches/migraines? How frequent? What has your doc said about them?

I can't get any real answers about my headaches/migraines. One doc says they are linked to MS, one says no.

I have gotten headaches for as long as I can remember. I remember when the Tylenol for jrs. came out and my mom gave me that. I was probably 11 then. I'm 28 now, dx'd 3 years ago. Migraines started when I was 17.

Take care all and thanks for sharing!!

Amy

Old 07-14-2005, 07:27 AM   #2
(female)

WOBBLEY HB User
Re: Headaches

Hi ab123,
I've had headaches for as long as I can remember but I've never had miagraines. I never thought about it having any connection to MS. I've been taking Alieve or Advil and that usually helps. What have you been taking?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2005, 07:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

I recall my first migraine at the age of 5. No joke. I have been told by my entire medical team that migraines are often associated with MS.

These migraines cause everything from sensory senstivity (especially to light & sound) and dizziness....to nausea and the feeling that my eye is twisting out of its socket. Weird thing is that when I have a migraine with pain, I have no aura. I have been having "auras" with no pain lately.

Some see spinning pinwheels as their auras...or perfect geometric shapes. Not me, baby! I see ZEBRAS! My neuro and I both get a good laugh out of that. He asks whether the "herd" has been on the move lately...

Old 07-14-2005, 07:47 AM   #4
(female)

marion06095 HB User

I have auras without pain. It doesn't happen very often, but those auras are just about the most beautiful things I have ever seen in my life. Anybody else see them that way?

Old 07-14-2005, 07:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

I don't know if I would call them beautiful so much as fascinating...mine are perfect and move with fluid motion. Wanna trade, Marion? <grin>

Old 07-14-2005, 08:16 AM   #6
(female)

ab123 HB User

Wow! I was surprised to the quick responses!! Thanks!!

I don't have auras with my migraines. Just the massive pain. Nausea is about 50% of the time.

I unfortunately take anything I can get my little hands on to try to get rid of my headaches!! Excedrine works the best, but it doesn't work all the time. Stronger stuff like hydrocodone works, but again, not all the time. I have only tried one of the rx migraine medicines and it didn't work at all.

I'm ready to sign up for a labotomy (Just kidding!)

Old 07-14-2005, 08:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

Hey abc....Amitryptiline helped me HUGELY in getting the pain under control. I haven't had a fullblown migraine in about a year now. Just those entertaining zebra-auras!

Old 07-14-2005, 08:46 AM   #8
(female)

ab123 HB User

KelliD, my doc let me try that, but I don't think I get migraines frequent enough for that to work effectively.

Glad to hear it is working for ya!

I just wish all doctors told you the same thing. To me the problem with this disease, is it seems to be more opinions than fact. Just venting I know!!

Old 07-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #9
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Hi,
One of my mother's most difficult MS symptoms is her frequent migraines. There is no question in her neuro's mind that they are due to her MS. I've always heard they could be a symptom of MS.

I've had an occular migraine with aura. I lost part of my vision (in the center) for about 15 minutes and then had the fabulous jagged light show around the perimeter. If I wasn't so freaked out at the time I would have to admit it was beautiful. When it was done, I was just fatigued, but didn't get a headache.

Take care,
Julie

Old 07-14-2005, 09:19 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

Hey ab123....my neuro flat-out told me that neurology is not an exact science, there are a lot of gray areas. In his way, he explained that they would know a lot more about MS and other diseases if they could open up the brain the way they can the body and take a look throughout...but that might cause a headache! ha! So, as a result, there IS much speculation and "educated guessing."

Old 07-14-2005, 09:34 AM   #11
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Kelli,
You are so blessed with an honest, humble neuro - and he has a great sense of humor, too! What a keeper!

Take care,
Julie

Old 07-14-2005, 11:57 AM   #12
(female)

fuzzymuzzy HB User

Hi

I get up in the morning with aches and pain and not very balanced. Since November last year, everyday I get up I feel like I have had a night out on the town (if only). Today has been awful as its been sooooo hot, the aches and pains seem to have doubled, vision blurred, cant walk normal, and everything I say comes out the wrong way, it gives everyone a good laugh!! Today is like being extra drunk without the drink!! and to think people pay to be like this!!! I don't get too many headaches so prehaps I have been let off in that department!! I Do get really bad whooshing in the ears! and when I get that I know I will be having a sort of Good Day.....Weird!

Closed Thread