It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
(female)

fancycanelady HB User
allergic to steroids - anything instead?

Hi all,
I'm going to see a new neuro soon (didn't like my old one. He just didn't seem very invested in my condition), to discuss medications. I'm leaning towards copaxone even though I'm terrified of self injection. I've read that alot of you are on some form or another of steroids. I'm very allergic to all steroids and just wondered if there is anything besides steroids (and before injection meds) that anyone has tried.
Thanks.

Old 07-15-2005, 06:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User
Re: allergic to steroids - anything instead?

Hi FancyCaneLady!

I don't have any experience with the steroids. I thought they were used only to help relieve symptoms from exacerbations, not as a long term treatment.

Are you using anyof the CRAB meds right now? Self-injection anxiety can be hard overcome. I know if I, the world's biggest shaking-in-her-shoes chicken can do it, you can too! It helped me to know that the pain receptors are only at the uppermost levels of the injection site. Once the needle is on its way in, no problem.

Keepus posted...let us know what you choose!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2005, 07:21 AM   #3
(female)

WOBBLEY HB User

Hi fancy,
I'm so glad that you have decided to start taking one of the crab meds! What made you decide to take copaxone? Having to get a shot every day sounds so hard (I hate shots). My sweetie gives me my shot but I'm going to start doing my own one of these days so I don't have to worry if he is out of town. Do you know if anyone has mentioned anything about shot sights using copaxone? I take Rebif and have these awful red spots and bruises all over my body ... I would hate to have 30 every month, I would really look like I've been beat up!

Old 07-15-2005, 07:23 AM   #4
(female)

djpihavems HB User

Hi Fancy.

I have been taking Copaxone for years, so please hit me with any questions you have. I started with Avonex. It was only once a week, but believe me, the shot was MUCH worse! The needle for Copaxone is a teeny, weeny little thing. After awhile, it will become just routine. Get up, brush your teeth, take a shower, eat breakfast, shoot up, get dressed, put on your shoes. You won't even notice.

I don't recommend any of the auto-injectors. I think those hurt worse. You just have to be able to get past the visual of the needle itself. But, honestly, it is such an itty bitty little thing.

Have the nurse train you to inject in your tummy and in your rear end. Those are the easiest, least painful spots. Stay away from the fronts of the legs, and the arms. Those bruise and get lumpy.

You got your ears pierced, right? That is MUCH worse!

Old 07-15-2005, 07:44 AM   #5
(female)

WOBBLEY HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpihavems
Hi Fancy.

I have been taking Copaxone for years, so please hit me with any questions you have. I started with Avonex. It was only once a week, but believe me, the shot was MUCH worse! The needle for Copaxone is a teeny, weeny little thing. After awhile, it will become just routine. Get up, brush your teeth, take a shower, eat breakfast, shoot up, get dressed, put on your shoes. You won't even notice.

I don't recommend any of the auto-injectors. I think those hurt worse. You just have to be able to get past the visual of the needle itself. But, honestly, it is such an itty bitty little thing.

Have the nurse train you to inject in your tummy and in your rear end. Those are the easiest, least painful spots. Stay away from the fronts of the legs, and the arms. Those bruise and get lumpy.

You got your ears pierced, right? That is MUCH worse!
Hi,
So you get shot sights with copaxone too. Is there any of the MS meds that don't cause a bruise?

Gosh I'm just curious how you give yourself a shot in the butt? (I don't think I could reach around good enough)

Fancy, I'm sorry I forgot to answer your question because I don't know the answer. Ask you doctor ... if anyone knows it will be the dr.. There has got to be something they could give you that would help that you wouldn't be allergic to!

Last edited by WOBBLEY; 07-15-2005 at 07:50 AM.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:34 AM   #6
(female)

djpihavems HB User

[QUOTE=WOBBLEY]Hi,
So you get shot sights with copaxone too. Is there any of the MS meds that don't cause a bruise?
QUOTE]

Basically, you're not supposed to stick needles under your skin. So, any time you do that, you'll get a mark or bruise or something. It's our body's way of saying, WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING TO ME?!?!?!?!?

Closed Thread