It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
(female)

rachel4123 HB User
Can u pass evoked potent. tests, but still have MS?

Hi everyone. I am 33, started having balance/dizziness and nausea problems 6 months ago. FInally made it to the neurologist (after PCP, ENT). HAd MRI. approx 20 small lesions found. Neuro followed up with bloodwork for lyme, lupus, etc and I had the BEAR/SEP (sp) Evoked potentials done. Blood and evoked potentials were normal. Neuro didn't think I had MS, thought the lesions were from migraines and I had an inner ear neuritis causing the balance issues. Anyway, I got better and was fine for a couple of months. Now,the balance problem and nausea are back and I am experiencing numbing and strange feelings in my arms and legs and just feel weird. I am going back to the neuro next week and going to demand more tests. I think I have MS.
Did anyone dx with this pass the evoked potential tests?

THanks for listening. Rachel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2005, 09:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User
Re: Can u pass evoked potent. tests, but still have MS?

Rachel....sorry to say the answer to your question is yes. I had all the balance/dizziness/nausea problems. Went through myriad tests...we finally focused on ruling in or ruling out MS. Passed my evoked potentials with flying colors. 3 lesions were found. I have MS. Hang in there..check in on the board often and keep us posted!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2005, 04:52 AM   #3
(female)

susanmkemp HB User

Rachel,
I have to agreed with kelly, In June 2004 I passed EVP with flying colours and no diagnosis made despite lesions on brain, parasthesia and severe fatigue. Then in August last year (only 2 months later) had attack of OP and failed EVP severely no signal passing from left eye to brain. I then further relapsed in October with severe balance/dizziness/nausea - Dr put me on Stemetil, but was diagnosed with MS. Now on Rebif - hang in there if it is MS it will pop up with something to prod the Neuro in the back and say "hey you cant ignore me"

Sue

Old 07-16-2005, 09:16 AM   #4
(female)

rachel4123 HB User

Thanks Kelli and Susan. I was afraid that was the answer. Can I ask both of you hold old you are and what meds you are on? How do you feel now with the meds and what type of MS they said you had ? I know Susan said she is on Rebif. This is all so scary and I don;t know what to expect. worried I have the worst possible and will wake up paralyzed one day...

Old 07-16-2005, 04:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

Rachel...hard as it is not to worry, don't worry! Find a distraction to help ease your mind. Logon this boadr often and talk to us!! If it IS MS, stress worsens it.

I have relapsing/remitting MS...diagnosed at age 41, am about to turn 43. I believe the symptoms first surfaced in my body around 20 years ago...but because MS can mimic other issues, I always chalked the problems up to different maladies.

I currently use Avonex...have been at it for just about a year and a half. Copaxone, Rebif, Avonex, Betaserone are all designed to help delay any disability and increase the amount of time between exacerbations. They are not meant to relieve symptoms or halt an exacerbation.

Avonex is a deep muscle injection, taken once weekly. I am uncertain about the other CRAB meds, but my experience with Avonex has been occasional flu-like side effects, easily managed with Advil or something similar.

Rachel...one of the things that my neuro told me about MS is that it is as different in every individual as fingerprints are, so everyone's experience is unique. All they can really do is treat symptoms when they flare, but there are some really good meds out there that can and do help. Whatever you find yourself going through, there IS always hope!

MS is NOT the END of your life!!

Closed Thread