It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
(male)

mattonline HB User
need some help, anyone?

Hi, I am new to the boards.

I'm 32, have been having a lot of pain, tingling sensations, occasional numbness and general aches in both of my legs. Occasional severe pain in my right knee and some neck & back pain. I have trouble walking, anything more than about 50 to 75 feet can cause me pain. For the last few weeks I have been experiencing constant headaches, and problems sleeping due to this.

My doctor thought that maybe I had a pinched-nerve, so he ordered MRIs of my back and neck, both were ok except some narrowing of the spinal canal and has since ruled that out. I had an EMG done this week, the neurologist said that the tests are "normal" for nerves in my legs and back area. He has suggested that I have a head MRI done and blood tests to rule out Lyme Disease. I have never had any bug bites, and spend very little time outside so I do not think this an important option to check. For the last several weeks I have been experiencing dizziness, stumbling, tingling in my fingers and just recently started having problems with blurry vision. These problems are very scary to me, feeling tired all the time and having daily issues with pain and aches are really affecting my ability to function. The doctor said that he would contact me soon regarding the test that he wants done, but still has not called. He did not state that MS could be the cause, but says that he is unsure what the cause is???

Does anyone have any experiences with these syptoms?, the leg pain has been going on for about a year.

Thanks for your help......

Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User
Re: need some help, anyone?

Matt....much of what you listed is common in MS, but we would all heistate to say that you do indeed have MS. MS can mimic other illnesses, and vice versa. My advice is that you continue to follow up with your medical team and stay at it until you have some solid answers. The pain you describe sounds really rough - I am so sorry you're having to go through it. Have any of your docs suggested fibromyalgia?

Old 07-16-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
(male)

mattonline HB User

Hi Kelli, thanks for your response....

The Neurologist that I see, wants more tests to be done. Blood test, MRI (again), but considering that it took a month to see him the first time I am not hopefull that he will figure it out soon. As you know it is hard to live with daily pain, when family and co-workers can't "see" your pain they are always ready to write it off.

I will try to keep my head up, but it is getting very hard.........

Matt

Old 07-18-2005, 06:18 AM   #4
(female)

miss evans HB User

hi Matt,
dont know if i can help but i am going through a very like thing that you have described. am awaiting to go into hospital for another MRI scan and a lumber punch and see where i got from there i will keep you posted. hang in there i know its hard but after 18 months i can see a little light at the end of my tunnel.

take it easy

Miss evans

Old 07-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #5
(female)

Okaasan3 HB User

matt,
It seems to me from what I've read and experienced as an MS patient, that most of the diagnosing of this disease is ruling other things out. So if they want to test for some other thing, it's because they don't have a specific test to say yes or no to MS. So don't give up just because you keep getting neg. results from tests, they will eventually point to the truth.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:28 AM   #6
(male)

mattonline HB User
Unhappy Re: need some help, anyone?

I spoke with the doctor yesterday, she said that it is not MS but is not sure of "what it is". She wants more blood tests, brain MRI and physical therapy. I told her that the medicine is not controlling the pain at all and I insisted on something better, she said to double the dose.......

It took a week just to receive a followup call from her, I may have to look for a doctor that is less "busy".

Matt

Closed Thread