It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2005, 02:50 AM   #1
(female)

tooobuzi HB User
For blueslvr53

Good Morning Deb!

How was the vacation? I hope you were able to relax and enjoy the time away.

I have been eager for you to get back because I have some news for you!!!!

When I went to Johns Hopkins the doctor I saw there recommended I get a book to help me understand and deal with my migraines. It is called Heal Your Headaches The 1,2,3 Program For Taking Care Of Your Pain. The first few pages into the book has my jaw was dropping. I was discovering that every one of my symptoms was being caused by migraine! I never thought migraine could do all those things. I as read on, there it was!!! It said that migraine can cause a burning sensation on your skin!!! It gave an example of a woman that suddenly felt like her scalp had been seriously burned. Through the migraine diet (cutting out trigger foods) and stopping pain medication that was causing rebound headaches ( BC Powder, anything with caffine) she got it under control and it went away!

You had said that you suffer from headaches, you have the dizziness, the burning, I think it might be worth a shot to talk to your doctor, a doctor, any doctor about the possibilty of this all being migraine related. I never knew that migraine was anything more than a killer headache. It is so much more. Also, did you know that they can last for years?

If nothing else please get the book. I really think it might be able to help you. It is by David Buchholz, M.D. He was a doctor at Johns Hopkins for over 20 years. He specialized in headaches.

I have just completed my 1st week of being on the diet and cutting out the pain meds. For the most part the dizziness is almost completely gone. I will I think I have gotten dizzy one time and I actually think it was from too much sun. I hardly have any tingling. My limbs don't go numb anymore and I don't get foggy headed. I do have some killer withdrawl headaches. I have cut out all caffine at the same time. So it is difficult dealing with the headaches without the meds I know will make them go away, but it will be worth it in the end. The days that I don't have the headaches I feel like my old self again. It is a great feeling. I have so much energy now it is amazing. It is hard to believe that I was having such a hard time such a short time ago.

I really hope this helps you. That would be so great if my trip to JH helped us both.

Fingers crossed!!!

Ronda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 07:41 PM   #2
(female)

blueslvr53 HB User
Re: For blueslvr53

Hi Ronda........
What wonderful news! You sound soooo happy! Im glad things are finally working out for you. Keep me updated. I plan on taking a quick trip to the book store. Ill try anything at this point. Is the diet hard to follow? What was the hardest thing to give up? Also are you following it to a tee?
That is so interesting about your symptoms. I would never have thought migranes could be connected to tingling and all the other weird things we experience!

Im sorry to say my vacation was a nightmare. The first week went pretty well. I only had one night with bad symptoms. However the second week turned out to be one of the most stressful weeks of my life. My mom woke one morning thinking she had a migrane. Well to make a long story short after 3 visits to the ER it turned out she had a small stroke. They took her to a large hospital in Milwaulke, Wisconsin. So we spent every day driving at least one hour each way to hurry up and wait all day at the hospital. Praise God everything came out ok. All other tests came out neg and they discharged her with instructions to take an aspirin a day. She is having trouble with dizziness and some vision trouble but that is all. We feel very blessed. So there went all my relaxing. I feel totally exhausted. And you what happens when we feel exhausted. All those nasty symptoms rear their ugly heads. Dizzy, zaps, headaches, burning head etc etc etc....

SOOO.....I am looking forward to getting my hands on that book. Also have some appts scheduled this week. My MRA is on Sat. I gotta start feeling better, the wedding is coming up quick!

Let me know how you are doing, Hope things are still going well........fingers crossed here too!!!! Love Deb

Old 07-24-2005, 05:36 AM   #3
(female)

tooobuzi HB User

Good morning Deb,

I am so sorry about your mother. She is so fortunate that it was so mild. What a horrible way to spend your vacation. You really needed the rest. I hope she is doing better now. How about you? Have your symptoms calmed down since your vacation?

You had some doctor appointments this week. How did they go? What was that test like on Saturday? Have you gotten a hold of that book yet? I think you are going to be VERY surprised when you read it. You are going to recognise your self all over the pages. I am figuring out more and more what my triggers for migraine are. They have been all around me for a long time, then I eat something that is a trigger as well and that added to the stress of my job, POW!! dizziness, or headache, etc. Did you talk to your doctor about the possibility of all this, or most of it being migraine for you?

I have been on the diet for a couple of weeks now and yes I am following it to a tee. I have had some killer headaches, as the book said I would, but I am making it. The dizziness is so much better! My head is not foggy any more. I hardly ever have the tingling in my feet anymore. I can't remember the last time I had the zaps of pain in my legs. Things are really improving.

As far as staying on the diet. Maybe it is because I want to feel better so badly it is not hard to follow at all. However finding things to eat is another thing. It is hard for me mostly because I don't cook much. I rely on microwave meals, fast food restaurants, etc. Thats bad. The motto for this diet is fresh is best, except for bread. Fresh breads are a no-no, they have to be at least a day old. It can be kind of difficult to find something to eat at a restaurant. It seems like all the dishes have something in them that you cannot have. As far as cravings? Honestly I haven't had one thing that I was really dying to eat. I think the thing I will miss most is Taco Bell! I LOVED Taco Bell. The bonus is that because I am so limited on what I can eat and I am so lazy (I wont pack anything to snack on to take to work.) I don't snack as much. So I am actually losing a little bit of weight! :-)

I am going to try to go the full two months without the meds and sticking with the diet and see if I can get everything under control. If not then I will consider the meds.

I have my class reunion next weekend!! I had a friend go shopping with me and picked out a cute little black dress. Since I feel good now, I am very excited about going. The fact that I am going reminds me of how horrible I was feeling just a short time ago. A couple of months ago you couldn't have paid me enough money to go.

Deb, I really hope this is what is going on with you too so that you can finally have an answer and get control of things.

Gonna run. I have my fingers crossed for you!! Ronda

Old 07-27-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
(female)

blueslvr53 HB User

Hi Ronda,
Sounds like things are going well! I am so happy for you.
My sweet husband ran out to the bookstore and got the book for me. I think it is an excellant book. You are right there is so much that sounds so familar. I am still reading it. I havent started the diet completely but have cut out alot of the trigger foods.

I had my mra the other day. It was just like an mri. I got the results and it showed one of my arteries in my neck is kinda funky. So now it is back to the Neuro at the University. My doctor said that there is nothing that they do for it but wants me to see him anyway. Now I am wondering if this is what is causing all my problems or not.
Its kinda creeping me out. The report said it could be stenosis (narrowing) but if it is not that I dont know what else it could be. I guess Ill find out and but of course the first appt isnt until Sept 1! Had tons of blood tests but none back yet. I am soooo tired of anything medical anymore.

A little black dress is the ONLY thing to wear to a reunion! You will have a good time. Plus everyone will be so impressed because you are such a successful businesswoman! Will Rod go with you? How is your yard coming along? Are you guys having a drought too. It has been so hot and dry here. I feel so sorry for the farmers.

Well keep me posted with your progress. I admit I feel better just cutting out some of the trigger foods and not taking some type of pain pill all the time. Keep up the good work. And keep those fingers crossed for me......Love Deb

PS Mom is doing great!

Old 07-28-2005, 03:58 AM   #5
(female)

tooobuzi HB User

Deb,
I really hope the book helps at least relieve some of your symptoms. I can't tell you how thrilled I would be to hear that it has helped with most if not all of them!!

Let me know what the Neuro says about that vein in your neck. That one concerns me too.

By the way, how is your mom doing?

The drought has hit my new landscape. That is a lot of money to watch whither away. The landscape is done. However the guy did a poor job on leveling the walkway that he put in ($3,000 worth of walkway) so he will be tearing it up and redoing it! Overall it is a big improvement but somehow falls short of what I really pictured. I guess because nothing is flowering. I wanted lots of flowers.

I have been being really good with the diet. I know without a doubt now when I eat something I shouldn't have without realizing it. Yesterday I had some oatmeal that had dried apple bits in it. I had forgotten that dried fruit is a no-no. Half way through it the headache started to come. So it will be plain oatmeal from now on. Also, since starting I have lost 4.5 pounds!!!

I will be waking everyone up to get ready to go to the airport shortly. We leave for Ohio today. The reunion is this weekend. I forgot you don't know that Rod and I went to middle school and freshman year of high school together. We were seperated for about 20 years and then ended up getting together. So I am tagging along to the reunion to see everyone I haven't seen in 23 years. I traveled alot during high school. I have been invited to 4 different reunions! So, it will be fun to see how everyone reacts to seeing me #1 and #2 to seeing that Rod and I have gotten together because we were just really good friends in school.

I have to run. I really hope the diet keeps working for you! Just remember if you are a caffine drinker, if you cut the caffine you will have headaches, but they will go away.

Take care, Ronda

Closed Thread