It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
(female)

susieQ429 HB User
Hot and bothered in Ohio

I am frustrated by the way my body is behaving and it seems to be related to the extreme heat wave we are experiencing in Ohio. I have 1 or 2 good days followed by 3 or 4 bad days. Friday and Saturday, I felt relatively good and tried not to overdue. Sunday I played golf in the extreme heat by the 2nd hole I was having problems. My forehead and the left side of my head became numb, my left arm was numb and tingly, and my legs became wobbly and weak. I made it through the short 9 hole game by using my clubs as "canes" to lean on while I was standing still. By the end of the day, the left side of my face (temple area) was swollen and I applied an ice pack which always seems to bring relief. I woke up at 6:30 am today and was no better. I called in sick and slept until 1 pm. Is this typical with MS? Does the heat bring out the worst in us? I have seen my PCP and have been referred to a neuro at The Cleveland Clinic, hopefully for some kind of dx. My appt. isn't until August 11. I feel like I am in limbo here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2005, 02:38 PM   #2
(male)

Sound Guy HB User
Re: Hot and bothered in Ohio

Hello Suzy Q From Ohio

I have just relocated to Ohio from Texas due to the amount of Heat. Heat is not the friend of MS I have learned, it has a way of destroying all of the energy that one can Build up.I am a touring sound engineer, and I have somehow kept up the immune systym, and strength to work at a demanding pace, until the heat comes out. Good Luck and from what u described I understand the feeling. Frequent golf is a pass time of mine although the heat has taken away from that as well. Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2005, 06:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

Yup! Heat is a big problem for MS. Do all you can to keep cool...maybe contact your local MS Society and ask how to get a cooling vest- they should be able to help.

I am SO sorry you got waylaid by the heat...I know firsthand it is no fun.

Old 07-19-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
(female)

Sharon Grace HB User

Hi Susie Q! Yes, heat is definitely not a friend to MS! I have read many articles explaining how heat adversely affects MS symptoms and can bring on an exacerbation. Your best bet is to avoid being out on those hot days as much as possible. I know it can be difficult to limit some of your usual activities, but it is important to take care of your health. I know the heat takes its toll on me very quickly and sometimes I can feel very weak and fatigued from going out on a hot day even for short periods of time. Stay cool and take care of yourself! Sharon Grace

Old 07-20-2005, 08:38 PM   #5
(male)

philr HB User

I live in okla. I have not been dx with ms. I have bunch of the symptoms.Tinling in my hands on neck movement,tingling in my neck and several other such as this.The heat is killing me this year.My ears ring,my fingers and neck tinging and when I get hot everything is much worse does anybody have anything like this. Thanks philr

Old 07-20-2005, 09:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

It's been bad in Iowa lately, too. My honey bought me an air conditioner for which I am EXTREMELY grateful! Check out the MSAA site: http://www.msaa.com/programs/cooling.html

They have a program to help us in the heat!

Closed Thread