It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
(female)

djpihavems HB User
For LaDeeDa

Here I am, still alive.

The week of roids is over, and I'm surviving. Yes, I feel a bit like crap, but it's all the usual stuff. Stiffness, headache, heartburn, zits, sleepiness.

I took some oral Prednisone this weekend - not a lot, but it helped. Now I just have to get through this last little part. I should be back to my old self by Thursday.

See how easy? What doesn't kill us makes us stronger!

Old 07-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #2
(female)

LaDeeDa HB User
Thanks DJ

Hey DJ, good to hear you're on the mend. You're making me realize that I've blown the whole issue out of proportion and if confronted with it, I believe I'll do better dealing with it. Thanks.

Just when I got such encouraging news about your experience and feeling a bit braver myself about the whole steriod issue, I found myself thinking I might have to go that route.

I had a most unsettling experience last week. I'd been having some vertigo and burning pains but I was sucking it up. Then I started having a minor problem for a few days with my voice and since I'd had an abscessed larynx/infected trachea several years back I was concerned I was brewing something again. By the 4th day I woke with a choking, lump feeling on the left side of my throat; felt like there was a pill stuck there. Some trouble swallowing. By midday, the lump feeling had moved to the right side. A few hours later, my entire throat felt like I had a boulder stuck in it and was being constricted. Major problem swallowing my saliva, altho I could gulp water. Afraid to eat because I thought I might choke. The swallow reflex felt as if it was in slow motion.

Anyway, halfway thru the day I put a call in to the neuro. Thought I was having a serious hug or something. No call back by late afternoon, so called again; still no callback. Next morning, the feelings had completely disappeared but I still wanted to talk to my neuro. His secretary/nurse said when they tried to call me the previous day the phone number was blocked. Well, bull, because she said the exact same thing one other time when I'd called. Then I point out to her that I'd left both home and cell numbers. She says, "oh yeah, they were BOTH blocked" Now I know she's full of it. Then she says that the neuro said I should just call my PCP anyway. Huh??

I immediately call Verizon (home phone); guess what? no blocks. Then call AT&T/Cingular (cell phone); again, no blocks. So I call her back. She can't take my call because she's with patients (I've never seen her do anything but push papers) so I leave her the message that both Verizon & AT&T say my lines are not blocked and that she better get her lines checked.

I was furious! I realize calls need to be triaged, but she can easily see that in all the time I've gone to this dr., I've only called 2 other times with problems. I don't want to fire this dr because I have tremendous confidence in HIM. However, his nurse is a major block in getting to him. I can't even send him a letter because she'll triage that. I intend to inform him at my next appt. just what all went on when I needed him.

Just when I was beginning to think I might seriously have to confront a 'to do or not to do' steriod decision, the most frightening part of this whole flare, if that's what it could be, has passed. So I dodged the bullet. I would have had that issue to worry about if you hadn't calmed me down with your input. For that I'm grateful. However, I'm not done with this 'nurse' yet. I get mad AND I get even!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 07:11 AM   #3
(female)

djpihavems HB User
Re: For LaDeeDa

That is simply outrageous. I would write her a letter every day for the rest of your life, just to annoy her. Make an appointment and throw an absolute fit when you arrive. Your doctor should know this how his staff is treating his patients.

I love the nurses at my neuro better than I love my doctor. I would consider going somewhere else because they are so important to your treatment!

Old 07-20-2005, 07:53 AM   #4
(female)

LaDeeDa HB User
Re: For LaDeeDa

Oh, trust me. I'm not done with her. It may take a while, but I WILL get my point across --- don't **** with me! The claws are out!

Closed Thread