It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User
MS and a Million Questions!

My friend is 32 years old and diagnosed about a year ago with MS. 8 years ago, she was told she had a pseudo tumor on the brain which was causing pressure etc. She had to have a spinal tap to relieve pressure and had an MRI. Apparently her doc didnt tell her that she had a "demyelinating disease" then and so now she is taking it pretty hard.

She has recently had some black outs that are really scaring her. She is on a gammet of medicines but she wants to know if anyone else has had anything like this happen. She was on Aricept and had extreme side effects including hearing things, voices, etc and seeing things. She stopped taking that after about 2 weeks.

She has many many questions. But she really wants to know if anyone else has had black outs where they are conscious & active but remembers nothing or has no memory of things she has done. Im afraid all the medications are having side effects. Also, are most people w/MS on tons of meds including drugs for depression, to sleep, etc. Rebif,oxipam or lebrium to sleep, adderall?
Can extreme stress effect her? She has recently been fired from her job. Any and all information would be appreciated and passed on! Thanks.

Last edited by almonkey; 07-20-2005 at 08:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User
Re: MS and a Million Questions!

Almonkey...I am so, so sorry for your friend!! What a terrible ordeal to endure.

I have not experienced "black outs." They were more like "brown-outs." This was before I began taking any meds at all. I don't know if one of the combinations of meds resolved the issue in me, or it resolveditself. Sorry!

As for your other questions re: many MSers being on lots of meds..I was at one time on seven different meds daily, plus weekly injections of AVonex. As mynerves calmed down and I was better able to deal with the MS, I made the decision to drop ALL meds except the Avonex. I do still use Elavil and Antivert as needed for pain or dizziness, but I find I rarely need them. Advil gets me past most of the pain. It's different for everyone.

And YES. Prolonged "bad" stress DOES adversly affect MS, as does heat and humidity and "over-doing" physically.

As disheartening as all that sounds...MS is NOT the end of life! You CAN live WELL with it. The first and best thing I would suggest for your friend is to do her own research on the internet. Learn all she can about MS...that will help her remove some of her fears and empower her to better cope. She should also write down all symptoms and questions and go armed with them to her doctor..expecting answers. If she is not happy with the answers, I would encourage her to seek a second opinion. And get her logging onto this board where she can share her experiences, fears and questions and we can help with encouragement and answers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2005, 06:12 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User
Re: MS and a Million Questions!

Thanks! Im so worried about her! Thanks for the input!

Closed Thread