It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2005, 09:16 AM   #1
(female)

beachlover247 HB User
Starting Avonex in next couple of days

I am so new to this, I hope I don't screw up. I've been dx. since "93, but have been pretty much symptom free until this month and it was back with a vengence! Haven't been able to drive all month due to my vision. I was 3 weeks into my exacerbation before I could get into Doc. and she did not want to give me IV solumedrol (never had it and don't really want it, but desperately want to get better). She felt like it would'nt really help that far into the exac. She did, however, insist that I start on the Avonex. Anyone else had their dr. tell them the steroid probably wouldn't help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
(female)

djpihavems HB User
Re: Starting Avonex in next couple of days

no, i've never heard that before. usually the steroid is for mid-flare and the other drugs are for maintenance. i'm very surprised to read what you wrote. i didn't think avonex helped with actual symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2005, 11:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

Actually, the latest research suggests that IV steroids do nothing for eye symptoms (particularly ON).

Best of luck to you with Avonex.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
(female)

beachlover247 HB User

Doc didn't say Avonex would help with symptoms, just that I needed to be on it for future problems. Eyes are slowly(very slowly getting better). Goind for my second half of MRI. Will check back in when I get back. Thanks for listening!!

Old 07-24-2005, 07:31 PM   #5
(female)

Sharon Grace HB User

My ophthalmologist told me she usually prescribes three or four days of IV Solumedrol for optic neuritis. It may be worth a try. If you do decide to try the IV, be sure to ask for a tapering dose of oral steroid to follow. The Avonex may help to lessen future attacks or make them less frequent, but it probably will not affect your current flare-up. Keep in mind, it can take up to six months for the Avonex to become effective. Best of luck to you! Sharon Grace

Old 07-24-2005, 09:37 PM   #6
(female)

racefan8 HB User

I was on 3 days of IV solu-medrol for ON and started Avonex shortly after. I think my eye is as good as it will get, which is MUCH better than it was during my flare, but not as good as it was before. I hope you do well with the Avonex. My last 2 shots have been with no problems, but the first 6 were beatings!!! Good luck!

Old 07-25-2005, 08:08 AM   #7
(female)

beachlover247 HB User

Thanks for your input. When I start my Avonex, does it have to be given that exact day every week. If so, then I want to start on a Fri. eve. so I have the weekend to recoup. Also, how quickly did the iv steroid begin to help your eyes.? I'm getting closer and closer to time to go back to work and am looking at possible short term disability, cause there's no way I could work like I am now.'
Thanks again

Closed Thread