It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
(female)

beachlover247 HB User
Does anyone find it hard to eat??

This is new for me cause I NEVER have a hard time eating, but because of the lack of taste and numbness in my mouth and face, I have to force myself to eat anything. I've lost about 7 pounds this month. I know this would be the opposite is my doc had put me on steroids. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I have a swallow study scheduled for Thurs. to see if I'm aspirating anything.....This is all getting very old. Thanks for all of yall's (yes, I'm a Texan) support!

Old 07-25-2005, 08:36 AM   #2
(female)

WOBBLEY HB User
Re: Does anyone find it hard to eat??

Hi,
I have a problem swallowing ... I eat slow and follow my food with a drink of water to help it go down. My biggist fear is that I will choke on my food but so far so good! I always feel like I have a lump in my throat that is blocking the food, water or anything that I try to swallow.
Unfortunately it has not caused me to loose weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2005, 10:59 AM   #3
(male)

outlaw56 HB User

Yes most definately eating can be a chore at times, occasionally some meds will take away the taste buds as well as depression since my dx I went from a Homer Simpson 235lbs down to 165 and levcelled of there, I am sure the weight loss was better for my back. I do nt envy you the the swallow evaluation, I went through that and had the "Barium Oreo" as the staff called it, all in all it isnt't that terrible amd can be very helpful,they found out I have trouble with anything the consistincy of puddings and I am to tuck my chin into my chest if I have any problems,this works well. Hope you make outfine and have a great pain free day .

Old 07-25-2005, 11:40 AM   #4
(female)

beachlover247 HB User

ThANKS for all your suggestions. Every little bit helps! I've done lots of swallow studies, but never on myself! They never looked like much fun.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:40 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Natatude HB User

i don't have trouble with tasting or swallowing or anything i am just not hungry,,, i have to force myself to eat,,, and i only eat very small meals when i do,,, i have lost alost 40 lbs in 6 months. i have a hiatal hernia so i was blaming that,,, the dr gave me carafate and told me to eat 4 times a day,,, i do 3 if i can,, but most days only twice,, i have a small bowl of cherrios for breakfast and a small dinner,, and have to force it in!

Old 07-25-2005, 01:12 PM   #6
(female)

Filipinone HB User

TRUEOUTLAW29

WOW, that chin to the chest thing really works!!!

I've been having the "frog" in my throat type syndrome, and have been ignoring it for the last 3 months, thinking it was allergies. Now thanks to BEACHLOVER247 post, it's brought new light to my symptoms.

P.S. I've been diagnosed with MS in June 2004.

Lisa
Filipinone

Closed Thread