It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
(male)

jennypash HB User
spinal tap

Ok - so I am new to all of this and looking for some information. I have been thrown into the world of MS without warning (as I am sure is the case with most) and now I am just trying to come to terms with it and learn as much as I can in the process. I have been diagnosed and have a pending spinal tap this week to confirm that diagnosis. My question is this. Is it painful? I have been stuck with so many needles in the last two weeks I barely feel it anymore, but I heard a spinal tap was very painful (for a few days afterwards also). Can anyone share their experiences with me?

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
(female)

marion06095 HB User
Re: spinal tap

Jenny, my spinal tap wasnít that big a deal. The only thing I actually felt was the needle that numbs the area before the procedure. I really hate needles, but I have to say that it wasnít any worse than my last flu shot. What I really did hate, though, was that table I had to lie on. It wasnít padded very well, and my poor boobies didnít like it at all! I suppose if thatís the worst thing I have to complain about, it wasnít that bad.

Stick around, and let us know how things are going. There is a wonderful group here, and the advice is priceless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
(female)

djpihavems HB User

hi jenny,
my spinal tap wasn't difficult either. just stay very still during the procedure, and for about half an hour afterward. i didn't have any pain or discomfort during the tap, and i didn't have any of the headaches or other symptoms afterward. i think everyone is different, but it's possible to get through it unscathed.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

Hi, Jenny. I had my first spinal tap a week and a half ago. I barely felt the needle for the numbing (novocaine in mouth is MUCH worse in my opinion) and the tap itself was completely painless. My neurologist did it, she said your position when they do it is important. I guess I was very fortunate that I was on a comfortable hospital bed, they positioned me on my side, curled up sort of but keeping my shoulders squared. I stayed flat on my back for about 2 hours afterwards then drove home, no problem. I DID apparently make a mistake when I assumed I could just resume normal activities, in particular bending over to care for/play with my puppies. 24 hours later I did get "the headache", it lasted 4 days, until I stopped bending over and started squatting when I had to get something off the floor! My back was a little tender, not a big deal.
It sounds much worse than it actually is. I understand they used to be horrible, but it really isn't a big deal any longer. You will do just fine, stay calm, it makes a big difference!

Closed Thread