It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
(female)

Moussie21 HB User
Unhappy Just Diagnosed...

Hi Everyone, This is my first time writing here. I have been reading posts from everyone for the past few months though. I am a 32 yr.old female who was positively diagnosed last week at the Cleveland Clinic. I have had several symptoms for the past year, but never put 2 and 2 together. I work as a Corrections Officer at the Sheriff's Dept. and just figured my body was wore out at times from stress. Back in Jan. myself and 3 others went on a trip where I did most of the driving, and I came back completely exhausted. I couldn't even get off the couch to take a shower, I was that drained. Then a few weeks later, I went on another trip, where I was completely sick the whole time I was gone. (It gets better, ..on the 2nd day back from vacation, I was in a car accident (not my fault), that totaled my car. I now am thankful that I had the car accident. Because of it, I had an eye injury in which they ended up doing a Cat Scan, which showed abnormal results. That led to an MRI which ended in the same results. So, from there it was the "snowball" effect..Spinal Tap, more MRI's, etc....Final result, I now know what I have. I go see my Neurologist tomorrow to get my medication/information. I think I am still in shock. I have always had good coordination skills, but earlier this month while playing softball with friends and family, (I was pitching) and I couldn't hold on to the ball at times. I seem more forgetful at times, and when I try to go to sleep at night my body feels like it is still going. I guess I can kind of understand what a person withdrawing from drugs feels like. Once I get the medication started will these symptoms go away?? I've already had both feet go numb back in Oct. (lasted about 2 weeks), and in April, 1/2 my face went numb for about 2 months. Not to mention the headaches I have each and every day. Totally weird. Is this what I have to look forward to for the rest of my life?? ANY information/or past experiences will be GREATLY appreciated. Sorry for the long book, ...Thanks for listening...Good luck to everyone

Last edited by Moussie21; 07-26-2005 at 08:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2005, 08:47 AM   #2
(female)

beachlover247 HB User
Re: Just Diagnosed...

Dear Just Diagnosed,

Please read the reply that I just sent to Curious11. It's kind of hard for me to type right now. I feel your shock and fear....went through it myself. Hang in there. Honestly, there could be worse diagnoses..at least we have medicines now that can delay the disease....hopefully. Keep praying that there's a cure around the corner!!! Or at least and oral medicine!!!

Old 07-26-2005, 08:49 AM   #3
(female)

djpihavems HB User

Hi there,
The disease behaves so differently in everyone, that it is difficult to say what you should expect. Did your doctor go through a thorough medical history with you? Think back through your life, and try to remember any other episodes that may have been MS related. Generally, the disease behaves throughout your life the same as it does in its first five years of activity. So, if you can pinpoint symptoms further back than five years, you can have a good idea of how the disease will progress.

Old 07-26-2005, 09:33 AM   #4
(female)

tiarah HB User

Hi, I'm in the process I hope of a diagnosis. I myself had accidental findings because ear pain. Had an MRI showed abnormalities and now am able to relate the symptoms that I have been having for years to MS. I always came up with excuses for them, I am great at self diagnosing myself. What was the process that you went through for a final diagoses? I had an MRI with and without contrast which revealed "small white matter changes with demyelination". I see the neurologist on August 4 so right now I am in limbo. Please let me know what you did in order for your final diagoses. THanks.

Old 07-26-2005, 09:43 AM   #5
(female)

JulieDe HB User

tirah, I was 33 when I was dx last September. My symptoms began as numbness in my pelvic region (bizarre feeling) and tingling in my feet. Those started in May 2004 and had 4 MRI's and an evoked pot test. There was one spot on my spine and the brain MRI was "consistent with the diagnosis of MS." Love how they phrase that. I've been on Avonex since Oct and haven't had any progression or relapses. I only have some remaining tingling. Hang in there. I certainly hope I won't be injecting for the rest of my life.

Old 07-26-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
(male)

outlaw56 HB User

Welcome aboard Moussie I hope you find these boards and posts both theraputic and informative All though none of us can say for certain things will get better we can all wish you well . You may want to try pitching with your other hand though my left hand han never be trusted anymore , I guess it's just part and parcel. Have a great day .

Old 07-26-2005, 11:06 AM   #7
(female)

susieQ429 HB User

I read your post with great interest and it sounds like you have a positive attitude about the whole thing. Everything happens for a reason and the car accident (as traumatic as it may have been) was the event God allowed for you to be dianosed. Now you know what you are dealing with and can start on a course of treatment that will allow you to feel better.

I have not been diagnosed with MS but for the past year and a half I have had little things happening in my body that I chose to ignore. With the heat we have had in Ohio this summer, the little things accelerated and I could no longer ignore them. I made an appointment with a doctor at The Cleveland Clinic who specializes in adult MS (Dr. Mary Rensel). I made the appointment back in June and am waiting for the August 11th date to arrive. I even asked to be put on their cancellation list. I used up all of my sick, vacation, and personal days at work and I am anxious to find out what is going on in my body and get on with some kind of treatment.

Were you satisfied with your experience at The Clinic?

Keep looking UP.

Old 07-26-2005, 11:38 AM   #8
(female)

Moussie21 HB User

Beachlover247, Thanks for the advice. Your correct, it could be worse! Hopefully there will be a cure for it soon..Take Care...Moussie21

Old 07-26-2005, 11:43 AM   #9
(female)

Moussie21 HB User

SusieQ429, Yes, I was very well satisfied at the Cleveland Clinic..I seen a Dr. Rudick, and he is very nice, and very straight forward...I wish you well when your appt. gets here...Good Luck...and your right, everything happens for a reason!

Old 07-26-2005, 11:59 AM   #10
(female)

Moussie21 HB User

tiarah, I had several MRI's both with contrast and without, a spinal tap (with negative findings), eye/ear testing, memory testing, complete medical screening/history....I was sent to the Cleveland Clinic for a second opinion. All the above was how I was diagnosed...But looking back now, I was having symptoms a few years ago, I just blew it off as something else. Good Luck to you...

Old 07-26-2005, 12:06 PM   #11
(female)

Moussie21 HB User

Trueoutlaw29...Thanks for the advice...I have injured my "pitching" hand (right) several times at work...mostly during fights(hahah), and have learned how to use my left hand more easily...however, I have not been able to use the left hand for pitching...Guess I can use it more efficiently "clapping" from the stands at the games from now on!! Take Care...

Old 07-26-2005, 03:58 PM   #12
(female)

thnkpos HB User

moussie, how did your neuro appt go? what med did he suggest, if any?
thanks
take care
tammy

Old 07-26-2005, 04:10 PM   #13
(female)

Moussie21 HB User

thnkpos, hi....I go for my neuro appt. Wed. (27th)...The Dr. at the Cleveland Clinic is suggesting to my Neuro that I take steroids for 3 days to take the inflammation down in my brain...I wasn't sure what name he gave it, but I will find out tomorrow...After he told me I had MS, it seemed as though everything else he said was just a blur of noises..I will let u know after I find out...

Closed Thread