It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
(female)

tiarah HB User
please help....

I haven't been officially diagnosed yet, my GP feels that I have MS, have my appointment with neuro on the 4th. I am so exhausted and today I feel absolutely horrible. My whole body feels as if I have been hit by a truck. Yesterday it was coming on, today worse. Last night my husband massaged my feet and my thighs and I ended up falling asleep very early last night. Today I feel absolutely horrible where I actually had to miss my daughters basketball game, which I NEVER EVER do. I dont know what I can do for this right now. Does anyone have any suggestions? How long will I go with feeling like this. Will this come and go on it's own? Please, please, any info I would appreciate. I have tried to take Ibuprofen for the aches in my legs and arms but its not helping.

Old 07-27-2005, 03:34 PM   #2
(female)

lisamarie11 HB User
Re: please help....

Hi tiarah,

I am sooo sorry to hear about your discomfort!! I unfortunately have no advice for assisting with the pain that you are experiencing except to speak with your neuro...they are usually able to offer prescriptions that can help alleviate some of your pain.

The only advice that I can offer is (since I am unsure of where you live) to be sure that you STAY OUT of the heat that most of us are having in the U.S.!!!! The heat will DEFINATELY make all of your symptoms (with MS) a million times worse!! This I know first hand!!

I have been out of work now for approx. 1 month due to a terrible relapse and steroid treatments most likely brought on by the extreme heat here in the northeast!!!! YAY...this disease is fun...there is a surprise around every corner!

You will be in my thoughts!! I hope that you receive some releif from your pain and fatigue soon!!! Please keep us posted on the outcome of your neuro appt. on the 4th!!!!

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
(female)

tiarah HB User

Hi Lisa,
thanks for the quick response. I live in NY and today has been an absolutely horrible day with heat. I am inside with 3 air conditioners working. Perhaps it was because of yesterday. When I was outside at my son's basketball game i was in that heat and at one point I felt very lightheaded and it seemed like things got dark in my eyes for a few seconds. If that makes any sense. I was able to see but it seemed to dim a bit, like if you get out of a hot tub, again, if you know what I mean. I will definitely keep you posted as to my appointment. Thanks for thinking of me. I just wish there was something that I could do in the meantime. Oh well, such is life.

Old 07-27-2005, 05:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

Ooooh, Tiarah.....we just got through the heat wave in Indiana that you are now getting in New York. YES the heat can do everything you are experiencing, including that dimmed vision.

Try to stay cool, stay well hydrated. Advil has worked very well for me, though I have a couple of stronger prescription painkillers to use if the pain gets bad enough. So far, I have just stubbornly toughed it out.

Give your body a chance to just rest for a few days. What you may have bounced from in a day before all ofthis kicked in can take several days if you're experiencing flares of MS.

I have also found gentle stretching and walking help when my legs ache with MS.

My neuro gave me some simple but powerful-good advice when I was dx'd...he said my body would tell me when it needs to rest...and to LISTEN to it.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:02 AM   #5
(female)

djpihavems HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiarah
like if you get out of a hot tub, again,
Please tell me you don't go in hot tubs! That is how they used to diagnose people with MS. Put them in a tub of super hot water and see if the symptoms got worse. No hot tubs, no steam rooms, no overheating at all.

No wonder you feel like crap. I'm in the NY area too, and it has been disgusting here lately.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:21 AM   #6
(female)

tiarah HB User

No I don't do hot tubs but I meant hot bathes. I don't take them much anymore because of what it does to my eyes, but that was the best way to explain on how I was feeling outside the other night. It's been absolutely brutal but today, thank God, it's beautiful. My eyes still don't feel right though. I HATE this. I wonder what the over heating actually does, how it causes these symptomsm and why.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:40 AM   #7
(female)

djpihavems HB User

Oh, okay. Phew! I knew exactly what you mean with the getting out of the tub feeling. I think the heat causes some kind of inflammation.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:04 AM   #8
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiarah
I wonder what the over heating actually does, how it causes these symptomsm and why.
Hi,
Elevated body temperature causes your demyelinated nerves to transmit and conduct even worse than usual. When the nerves don't communicate well your symptoms flare.

The good news is that although heat makes your symptoms temporarily worse, cooling off should get you back to your baseline with no long term damage or progression of the disease.

Stay cool everyone!
Julie

Old 07-28-2005, 09:05 AM   #9
(female)

kchs1 HB User

Ny Is Disgudting Right Now. Getting Ready To Go To Neuro Appt. Guys God Is Good. I Have Medical Ins Now!!! Had It Since The Day We Got Married! July, 18th 2005!!!

Post Later To Update After Neuro.

Mrs. KCH-S

Old 07-28-2005, 10:33 AM   #10
(female)

tiarah HB User

Thanks Jewel, it makes sense. I still feel a bit out of it today and it's like 72 degrees out, I guess it just takes time.

MRS. KCH-S,
Congratulations!!!!! Good luck with the neuro.

Closed Thread