It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 03:05 PM   #1
(male)

jennypash HB User
spinal tap

I posted a few days ago about my aprehension with getting a spinal tap. Thanks to everyone to replied. You were right it wasn't as terrible as I had thought. I had to stay home today because the pain in my lower back was bad and I got a severe headache, but I am feeling about 50% better now so hopefully by tomorrow it will be even better. Since yesterday I feel myself falling into a slight depression. i was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and never cried or got emotional about the news. and now I feel helpless, I hate that I have spent the better part of the last month at the hospital getting all kinds of tests. I think my neuro ran every single one and she said this is the end for awhile, so i should be happy, but I am not. I hate that at my age (30) I have to deal with this. I am sick of it. I am assuming this is a normal phase in accepting it, but I just feel so low right now. Has anyone else gone through this and did it last long. I want my life back.

also, i have a 7 year old son and we have decided its best not to tell him anything right now as he is very young and wouldn't understand. I don't want him to worry and I know he will, anyone with kids who could offer some advice? I hate lying to him and telling him i am perfect, even when I don't feel so hot.

Thanks.

Old 07-28-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
(female)

LaDeeDa HB User
Re: spinal tap

Hey Jenny,

Glad you got thru the tap with relative ease. The after affects are typical and a nuisance, but you're on the back side of this whole thing so that's a plus.

Sounds like you're going thru a grieving period right now which is only natural. Yes, some things in your life may change, but you will start feeling better and life goes on.

As for whether or not to tell your child? My DH and I never said anything to our kids when they were small. In fact, they only found out a few years ago when one Christmas they were whispering to Dad, 'wow, Mom's really been drunk a lot lately!' Apparently my balance issues that I thought I was controlling so well were much more obvious to those around me than I realized.

DH came and told me it was time to fill them in. After all, they were in their 20's by then. My DS did the guy thing: shrug and try not to think about it and maybe it'll go away. Eventually he addressed it. My DD cried and cried. When I told her she wasn't helping me one bit, she snapped out of it. She got educated, informed, and became a major organizer and team captain of her company's MS Walk team, collecting donations in excess of $50K in just a couple of walks.

They're both fine with not having been told and say it probably was harder on me than on them finding out when they did. So for that they felt bad for me, not themselves. I would do it the same way assuming my sx progressed the same (slowly).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread