It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 05:12 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

mrs.confused HB User
this is getting old part 3

well hubby went to dr. today. they said that it is never related, they put him on amitriptaline( not sure of spelling) elivil. if he is no better in 2 weeks they are sending him to a neurologist. starst taking it tomorrow night. dont know if it will help or not. I started to get him to put him on neuroten. still the same old thing. I WISH I COULD DIE!!

Old 07-28-2005, 07:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User
Re: this is getting old part 3

Hi Mrs. C - When my odyssey toward diagnosis began, I too was given Amitriptyline for pain. It helped *me* hugely. I still use it as needed. I would suggest he take it around 6pm..or two to three hours before bedtime. It *should* help alleviate the pain enough to help him sleep and by taking it a while before bedtime, he should be able to avoid most of the associated sleepiness that can come with that med.

Refresh my memory: have the docs done an MRI, LP or EP's? I got the med to help me cope with pain while I awaited testing. If they have not done those tests and you want MS ruled in or out for peace of mind and so you can develop a game plan and get on with life, you should insist to the docs. Remember: you're not paying them to ignore you! THEY work for YOU.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2005, 06:18 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mrs.confused HB User

not yet that is what he is doing too. they are sending him to a neurologist in 3 months. long wait huh? oh well just have to tough it out . part of life i guess

Old 08-05-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
(female)

susara HB User

i am sorry to hear about your husband. it must be very hard for you. hang in there.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:09 PM   #5
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Hi Mrs. C,
I'm really sorry to hear about your husband's situation. Like KelliD said, Amitriptylene can really help with nerve pain. It also helps with falling asleep. Hopefully that will help him with the long wait to see the neuro. He's not alone in the often slow diagnostic process.

Honestly, I'm concerned about you as much as your husband. It's obvious you feel a lot of despair about his situation and life in general. That is such an awful feeling - I've been there. I want you to know that we're here for you. You might also consider seeing a counselor to help you process all that is going on in your life. You're carrying a big burden right now and it is very difficult to do that alone. I hope that you read this and feel the concern I have for you - I'm not judging you at all, I'm just very worried about your emotional health.

Take care and let us know how you're doing, okay?

Julie

Old 08-06-2005, 12:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

Now is the time he needs the testing done. What normally happens is by the time you get into a neuro the symstoms have subsided and they don't think you have any probs.
Its terrrible to have to wait so long. Have you called around to other neuros to see if their waiting list is shorter. I hope the elavil helps your husband. Good Luck to you both.

Old 08-06-2005, 05:18 AM   #7
(female)

gyrl293 HB User

Hey Mrs. C
Elivil Does work .....it's also pretty safe as far as drugs go which is a good thing now a days. It will take a little while to build up in his system though depending on the srtength of his does maybe a week or so. Don't give up or in we are here with you. Most of us are going through the same thing ........

We are your shoulder to cry on......Thoughts and prayers for you .....

Mari

Old 08-06-2005, 08:08 AM   #8
(female)

beachlover247 HB User

Hi Ms. C,

3 months is absurd to wait for an appt.! Is there no one else? I can't remember where you said you live. Like others have said, things can subside in that amt. of time. You need to take care of yourself, too. Your hub needs you now, but it's very hard to sit by and watch someone suffer. Remember, we are all here for you when you need to vent. Personally, I find the Bible to be of great comfort. Not trying to preach, cause even tho I've always gone to Church, I never read my Bible like I should have. Always too "busy". I've read more this last month and it really helps. Just don't give up...look up. Love, Sue

Old 08-06-2005, 11:26 AM   #9
(female)

vlynncurtis HB User

Mrs. Confused,

I take amytrippline for facial numbness and to help me sleep (this was a sort of unplanned side benefit for me). I take 75 mg. per night and it does help.

VC

Closed Thread