It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2005, 04:22 AM   #1
(female)

melaus HB User
the MS diet book by R.L. Swank

Has anyone read or heard of anyone one on the MS diet. I am a healthy 45 y/o. Living with MS for over 7 years and have been on the strict "Swank diet" for 2 years. It really is working for me as I have got no worse since I started the diet, although I would Love to talk to anyone with hints or feedback.
Cheers,
Melody

Old 07-29-2005, 06:37 AM   #2
(female)

thnkpos HB User
Re: the MS diet book by R.L. Swank

hi, i cant answer anything about the diet, but im curious if while on the diet, are u taking any of the crab drugs? im considering going on the swank, but i really hate to be told i cant have something , but if it works its worth it ....
thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
Inactive

ImL8 HB User

I do have the book, but I had quit eating red meat some time ago, and there are a lot of things in the book that I don't do! But am glad that it's working for you!

Old 07-30-2005, 03:30 AM   #4
(female)

melaus HB User
Smile Re: the MS diet book by R.L. Swank

Hi Thnkpos,
No I'm not on any meds. I have refused as I wanted to try natural ways before I started and as it has turned out so far, I'm doing better than I have in years. That's not to say that I wouldn't use meds if I got any worse.
The swank diet has been modified by a local doctor here ( Perth Western Australia) who has had MS for several years. The Book is
"Taking control of MS" by 'Prof. George Jelinek'.
He has really researched all, including all the meds..and advises on all.( It's more strict than the Swank diet) I could not have kept things together in my life if it were not for his and the Swank books to give me some direction. Even if you dont go on the diet do read the Prof. Jelinek book. Great insight..... Boy thats a real lot sorry...didn't mean to ramble on...
Cheers...Keep well

Old 07-30-2005, 05:27 AM   #5
(female)

beachlover247 HB User

Hi,
I'm Sue and I live in Texas, all mylife, I'm48, 3 kids, married and work full time, except in summer. I was dx in "93 and have been on no meds....but in the beginning, saw a couple, husband and wife, who were docs in China, then moved here and got med degrees in US, so they had both philosifies. They were VERY big on diet. Sooo, I cut out as much bad fat as possible and sugar. They said sugar really increases chances of candida which reaks havoc on you bod. I stayed as true to that diet as I could for long time, but it's hard. I've always tried to watch my weight, so that was big motivator in itself. I have a huge weakness and that's my chardonnay wine(sugar). Hey, we have to have a few pleasure, right? Anyway, have coasted along last 10-11 years with no ms problems. Very end of June I've had a really bad exacerbation, so new neuro started me on 3 days of solumedrol iv and Avonex. Just hope and pray the sm eases the symptoms as I'm due back at work soon. I have not personally seen the Swank book, but I want to check it out. Hope it continues to work for you. I'm sure it doesn't hurt. I can bet you he doesn't list wine in "okay" list....LOL. PS I'm holding off on that now, of course. Sry....I'm a rambler too.

Last edited by beachlover247; 07-30-2005 at 05:30 AM.

Old 07-30-2005, 05:32 AM   #6
(female)

kozzleme HB User

iwas dx in 1985 there were no meds then swank got me through ) raising 2 children active children i did have episodes (extreme loss of balance vision etc) but ten days of steroids and swank would put me upstraight not total recovery there was always some loss in 1999-2000 went on disability 2001 i started on avonex have had no episodes still do low fat diet with some cheating i went on disability, no children at home, am always researching vitamins minerals,
now take short walks ,clean my home,go to the mall, i do use a walking stick for balance my first thing in the AM is a prayer that when i sit up iam not to dizzy after all iam a brunette not a blonde
from kozzleme age 60

Old 07-31-2005, 07:49 AM   #7
(female)

thnkpos HB User

melaus,
im glad the diet is working for you, what were u'r symptoms? any now? you didnt ramble that was good information what was u'r mri like initionally? many spots? few spots? spinal spots?
curious, thank you

beachlover,
i can ask you the same questions, i see that u'r avonex went ok, good news my med is in the fridge, to start 2 wks

take care

Old 08-03-2005, 01:39 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

_Jane_ HB User

I am on this diet and can see some improvment. The only side effect is that you loose weight and for me it's a bonus! In 3 months I lost about 20 lb and feel great!

Old 08-04-2005, 12:26 AM   #9
(female)

melaus HB User
Wink Re: the MS diet book by R.L. Swank

Hi Sue, Sorry to hear that the diet hasn't stopped your latest attack, but hey...It may have been worse it you had not been watching the fats and sugars.
YES!!! In the "Jelinek book" (taking control of MS) he states that low to moderate comsumption of RED wine is great as one of the best antioxidants. His book continually talks about how important antioxidants are to control the oils in the body from going rancid. I take heaps of omega 3 and 6 oils and do look forward to my couple of glasses of red every now and then...(more now than then) I too used to drink white wines but have switched to red over the past couple years because of the good they do for the old bod.

Kozzleme: the same book has wonderful info on Vits & Minerals we need.

Thnkpos:Yep my MRI is a mess. Multipel on brain , optic nerve (left) & spine. 75% has been numb but Haven't regained any feeling in hands..do everything by sight.(slow at typing now) I'm Not working in the past year had to shut my business. ( Iam 45y/young) Think I'm really lucky to still be able to do things although it takes forever...

Cheers and stay healthy..
Melody

Last edited by melaus; 08-04-2005 at 12:43 AM.

Closed Thread