It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2005, 05:45 AM   #1
(female)

tiarah HB User
MS and pain

I went to my eye doctor the other day because of pain in my right eye and i have been bothered by one of his comments. I have pain in my eye and thought that perhaps the optic neuritis had come back. He said it hadn't but he also told me that with MS there is NO pain. I have not yet been diagnosed and am waiting for my appointment on teh 4th. He is an ophthalmologist. He first diagnosed me in '97 with optic neuritis. When I told him that I had an abnormal reading on my MRI he told me "well I could have told you that years ago". I did not know that optic neuritis is the first sign of MS. When I asked him why he didn't he said "why would I make you nervous, it's been 8 years and you are now getting symptoms. Well that is NOT true. I have been dealing with on and off symptoms for MANY years but just basically poo-pooed them away thinking it was other things as when he sent me for an MRI back then it was normal. Is he right in not telling me? When I asked him if the results of "small white matter changes with demyelination" could be something else he said no. Isn't there a chance this could be something other than MS? Aren't there supposed to be "lesions" on teh scan? Shouldn't the word "lesion" be on the results? Please explain this if you can. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2005, 07:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User
Re: MS and pain

My first reaction...come to think of it, my second through 100th reaction to yor doctor's comments and behavior are to dump him and find someone less arrogant. I don't MEAN to be harsh, but I think he is insensitive and that is the last thing you need. You should have been told all of these things all along.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2005, 08:01 AM   #3
(female)

kchs1 HB User

And Tiarah Trust Me, I'm Living Proof!! For Some There Is Excrutiating Pain With Ms!!!

Old 07-29-2005, 08:06 AM   #4
(female)

tiarah HB User

Oh Kelly, you're not being harsh, it takes me a little bit to figure things out for myself, but I was thinking the same thing. I thought that I should have been told this before also and am furious that I wasn't as I would never had self diagnosed myself for so many years. I will find another doctor. Thanks.

KCHS1, I KNOW that there is pain with MS as my cousin has it also and I know he goes through pain too. I just don't understand how a "doctor" could make statements such as that. Obviously, not well educated on MS.

Old 07-29-2005, 08:10 AM   #5
(female)

kchs1 HB User

Your Right, And As Kelly Mentioned I'd Get A New Dr. Asap!!!

Old 07-29-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
(male)

lifeishumbling HB User

I am not a seasoned MS patient - only diagnosed 6 months ago and even I know of all the pain with MS.
So an actual doctor (not a voodoo guy, but an actual medical doctor) said "there is no pain with MS". What a dummy!
Sorry for being so brutally honest, but you have to call it like it is......

Old 07-29-2005, 03:15 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Natatude HB User

find a new neuro,,, is he older???? cause my first neuro was probably in his 60's and he said there was no pain with MS and i was like ok u need to go back to school buddy! my new neuro,, also told me that at first but he is young probably 40,,, if not younger,,, and after going to more classes on it and everything he changed his tune! and now gives me pain meds.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:59 PM   #8
(female)

tiarah HB User

No, it wasn't a neuro who said it, it was my eye doctor who treated my optic neuritis. Yes, he is older, late 50s early 60s. How often would I have to see an eye doctor anyway?

Old 07-29-2005, 04:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

I only saw the neuro-opthalmologist when my internist and neurologist felt it necessary. They made that determination based on the nature of my complaints. I'd still find someone else if I were you, even if you only have to see the guy once a year.

Closed Thread