It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2005, 12:55 AM   #1
(female)

chocolate chip HB User
Question Permanently hot feet .... is this MS?

Hi everyone

Does anybody else here suffer from permanently hot feet - particularly in the evenings and through the night?

Thanks

Old 07-30-2005, 03:25 AM   #2
(female)

tiarah HB User
Re: Permanently hot feet .... is this MS?

YES!!! I do, and I am constantly putting lotion on my feet to try to keep them cool. When I tell my husband to feel them he says they feel normal, that they don't feel hot. Hmmm.... wonder what it could be??? I haven't been diagnosed as of yet, waiting for neuro appointment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2005, 03:43 AM   #3
(female)

chocolate chip HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiarah
YES!!! I do, and I am constantly putting lotion on my feet to try to keep them cool. When I tell my husband to feel them he says they feel normal, that they don't feel hot. Hmmm.... wonder what it could be??? I haven't been diagnosed as of yet, waiting for neuro appointment.
Hi again tiarah.

Funnily enough I just posted a reply to your question about the various symptoms you're currently suffering and I suggested that it might be a disc problem in your spine. The reason I am asking about hot feet is because I have been diagnosed with both MS and a lumbar disc problem, but I'm still not sure which symptom belongs to which disease.

I'd be really interested to know what your Neuro finds and what s/he tells you. Do you have any idea when you might get an appt?

Old 07-30-2005, 05:06 AM   #4
(female)

beachlover247 HB User

Hi Chocchip,

I'm Sue and I was dx. with "probable" MS in '93. Said they couldn't say for sure til I had another flare. My 3rd child was only 6 mo. old, married, and working full time. It started with double vision. Talk about devastated. I had another flare with my left leg and balance about 6 mo. later. So all in all, dx took only a few months. The "probable" ms dx only about 2 mo. Both flares were treated with oral steroids and resolved completely. I've gone 11 beautiful years with virtuallly no symptoms except for minor fatigue. I was excited to be off for the summer (work in the schools), then boom go the eyes, balance , numbness in face, mouth, throat, etc. One thing that was driving me nuts was sensitivity to temp. My hands felt cold all the time, yet like you said, others said they felt fine. I couldn't stand to get anything out of the fridge! It's all nerve based and effecting how we perceive it. Weird how the brain works. I think that's why the docs take so long to give an educated guess. As for me, I didn't start on ANY med until yesterday. Had my first shot of Avonex, the one my doc suggested. Felt decent til the middle of the night. Had achiness and chills. Got up and took tylenol and feel better. I hope this helps. My internest had told me that since i was not having exacerbations (this past years) why take the meds until he felt more confident in them. Other people i talked to disagreed. Like my neuro. said "I would have probably done the same thing, so don't beat yourself up". Sry this is so long. Like one of my nurses said yesterday, " you really like to talk?" Of course I was very nervous and tend to talk more when I am and also had LOTS of questions. Kind of made my husband mad. How dare she say that...LOL Take care

Old 07-30-2005, 05:31 AM   #5
(female)

chocolate chip HB User

Hi beachlover,

Thanks very much for the reply. I appreciate you sharing your story with us and I quite understand why you think temperature sensitivity is connected to nerve damage due to MS because it makes perfect sense!

To be totally honest though, I'm curious about people who have hot feet specifically, but you could well be right that it's all to do with MS.

Anyway, thanks for your reply and I really do wish you all the best. You certainly seem to be maintaining your positivity and curiosity, and I find that's more than half the battle!!

All the best,
C-chip.

Last edited by chocolate chip; 07-30-2005 at 05:33 AM.

Old 07-30-2005, 06:30 AM   #6
(female)

tiarah HB User

C-chip, I have my appointment this Thursday the 4th and I will certainly let you know what they say. I don't have a diagnosis at all and am anxious about finding out what is going on. I didn't really thing that hot feet were related to MS. I thought it was just me. It's been for about a month now. I have to write these things down for myself to remember, as I will forget. All of my symptoms that I have had on and off through the years I just put aside and attributed it to this and that. Now, if this IS MS, then I know there are due to one specific reason, not the multiple that I had self diagnosed myself with. I will let you know for sure though.

Old 07-30-2005, 07:40 AM   #7
(female)

chocolate chip HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiarah
C-chip, I have my appointment this Thursday the 4th and I will certainly let you know what they say. I don't have a diagnosis at all and am anxious about finding out what is going on. I didn't really thing that hot feet were related to MS. I thought it was just me. It's been for about a month now. I have to write these things down for myself to remember, as I will forget. All of my symptoms that I have had on and off through the years I just put aside and attributed it to this and that. Now, if this IS MS, then I know there are due to one specific reason, not the multiple that I had self diagnosed myself with. I will let you know for sure though.
Hi again tiarah,

Thanks for the response and good luck with your appt on Thursday - I'll keep an eye out for your postings next week to see how you get on. It might well be worth remembering to ask your Neuro about spinal disc problems too because you never know .......

Good luck!!!

PS. By the way, I can highly recommend something to relieve the hot feet which works quite well. If you can find a product somewhere in your area called 'Chillerz' then you can purchase a sheet of re-freezable mats which will enable you to create somewhere conveniently cool to put your feet while you're relaxing. Good luck.

Last edited by chocolate chip; 07-30-2005 at 07:55 AM.

Old 07-30-2005, 08:38 AM   #8
(female)

Filipinone HB User

Chocolate Chip;

I was diagnosed with MS in June 04 (my neuro said Benign MS)and I'm not on any medication as of yet.

I've noticed that I have the hot feet issue. My office at work (for the summer) is extremely cold, so I usually wear a sweater to keep my upper body warm, but I've noticed that I do like the cold weather for my feet.

Then the story is the exact opposite when I get home, as the thermostat is set for like 70-75. When I go to bed, I'll get under the covers with my feet sticking out of the covers. I know this sound really wierd, so please forgive me.

Both areas, at work and at home, most of the time my feet are sweaty and clammy, I'm guessing due to being overheated. BUT IT'S JUST MY FEET! It is frustrating...

Thanks for re-posting this. Does anybody have any kind of solution for this?

Lisa (Filipinone)

Old 07-30-2005, 09:05 AM   #9
(female)

chocolate chip HB User

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your response. Your symptoms sound similar to mine. Did your Dr say if hot feet is to be expected with MS? As you will see from the posting to 'tiarah' earlier, I recommended a good ice pack to rest your feet on when sitting - I recommend a make called 'Chillerz' in particular because it allowss you to cool feet down without having to put them in water.

Before I worked it out for myself, I used to have my feet in a bowl of cold water all evening if I was at home, but that only caused cracked and bleeding feet from being wet so often. At least the ice packs are dry and don't cause such problems. Hope this helps relieve things a little.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:25 AM   #10
(female)

Filipinone HB User

Chocolate Chip;

I haven't seen my neuro since my diagnosis in June of 2004. When I was there, I asked him about pregnancy and MS and he indicated that by no means should I take any of the CRAB drugs if I intend to get pregnant. So I haven't been back to my neuro from the MS drugs, NOR am I pregnant YET!

I guess I'm just stubborn. Since my symptoms are so minor, I've just been dealing with them, kinda the same as Beachlover had posted. I will check the internet for Chillerz, I'm just worried that since this only really is an issue when I go to bed, as my office and home are cold to begin with, that I don't want anything that will wet the bed while cooling my feet down.

Now I do have a doctors appointment scheduled next week for my appendix/ulcer. I don't know which/what. I've had really bad pains in my abdomen, that I do not believe are MS related.

Thank you for the Chillerz idea.

Lisa

Old 08-02-2005, 05:54 AM   #11
(female)

chocolate chip HB User

Hi Lisa,

Just a tip about the 'wetness issue' with the Chillerz - it does tend to cause a certain amount of condensation, but if you wrap it in a t-shirt or thin towel, it should take care of any excess 'run-off'...... if you know what I mean.

The main thing is that it will bring instant relief and allow you to sleep much more easily.

Anyway, good luck with your Drs appts. I hope it all goes well for you and that you discover what your various symptoms are due to. And good luck with your quest to become pergnant!! That will be SO

Good luck,
Choc.chip

Closed Thread