It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
(female)

janis317 HB User
Neurological dermatitis

Hi all, I am new to this board and I hope you can help me. My mother has MS. She was diagnosed in 2000. Physical thereapy & her medications (as well as a mule-level stubborn attitude of" I'm not going to let this beat me") has helped her a great deal. At the moment, she seems to be experiencing a new symptom. There are little white fluid filled bumps on the backs of her hands . (mostly on the right had which is odd becasue most of her weakness occurs on her left side & she is right handed.) They are about the size of a large pinhead, & turn red after they pop. She says they don't itch but they hurt a lot. after she get so many, the skin starts to peel, making her hands raw as well. She saw a Doc at family Urgent care & he said it was Neurological dermatitis (the bumps do seem to be spread out along the nerve) . He gave her oral Cortizone & it cleared up but since then (June) it's happened three times & she can't take any more Cortizone. He also gave her Triamcinolone ointment, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. Has anyone else had this symptom or know a treatment that might help? She had an apointment with a Dermotoligist, but not till the First of September.
Thanks!

Janis

Old 07-30-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

shellymay HB User
Re: Neurological dermatitis

janis317,

Sorry to hear about your moms problem. Does she happen to have Raynauds Disease? That is where her hands turn white, red, then to blue? With Raynauds Disease, which goes hand in hand with an autoimmune disease, can make sores on your hands and they can also open up and peel back. It's because the circulation is not good. Look into it!! I hope this helps!!

Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2005, 08:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

Yes, I have that exact thing. It does hurt a lot!! I've not treated it at all except to make sure that, once the little blisters have broken, to keep my hands moisterized with a good lotion like Eucerin.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

For years I've been getting those little bumps/blisters, but mine itch. I always called them a "heat rash" because I get them when it is hot weather. Mine tend to be on the sides of my fingers, and I'm noticing now that my left index finger, where I've had them the most, seems sort of calloused. Haven't had any this summer, but every summer for several years prior.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
(female)

blestbaby HB User

I was reading your posts and have not found many people with this condition. My husband was diagnosed with this 7 years ago. It's still as bad as it was then. Doctors tell him to stop scratching but they'll have to knock him out first. He has tried steriods: oral, creme, and this really cool (and overpriced) tape. Initially it looks like it might do the job then it all comes back with a vengeance. The biggest thing we found that works was going to the beach but we live in backwoods, MS. When we spent 2 weeks in Florida several years ago and he started to REALLY heal and not scratch. Somewhere between the salt and sun it was working but we haven't been able to duplicate our 2 weeks since then with work, kids and life interrupting my plans.
The part of his neurological dermatitis that is different from yours is his is on his legs, arms, and stomach (not so much the last two). He's not been diagnosed with any other illnesses except high cholesterol and occasional poor circulation in his legs. At this point he's tired of doctors and doesn't go except to his annuals to get his cholesterol meds renewed.
This is probably too much of a post but if any of you have some ideas let me know.

Reply Reply