It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
(female)

beachlover247 HB User
SolMed treatment #2 not so smooth

Okay, I got everything ready to give myself my second treatment. First you flush your pic line with saline, then hang the bag, etc, etc. It was supposed to only take 1 hour...it took 2 hours. Then you flush again. When I was going to flush...it hurt my arm where it goes in. She said it's NOT supposed to hurt and if does to stop. So I stopped and we called her. She said don't worry about the flush and the heparin...she'll be out tomorrow to fix it. That probably means re-sticking it. Yuckkkkk! Just thought I'd let you all share my pain. Sorry. Does this mean all of the medicine went somewhere other than my vein???? Weird??

Old 07-30-2005, 05:11 PM   #2
(female)

tiarah HB User
Re: SolMed treatment #2 not so smooth

You poor thing. I'm sorry you're going through this crap. How in God's name do you do this by yourself? Do you have someone that can help you? You will get through it, just think, by this time next month you will be a pro at it and you know how fast time goes!!!!! I'll be thinking of you!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2005, 10:40 PM   #3
(female)

Sharon Grace HB User
Re: SolMed treatment #2 not so smooth

So sorry to hear you're having a rough time. I went through my first SoluMedrol treatment in April. I had to do it twice a day for five days. The first line the nurse set up was in a vein in the back of my left hand. It wasn't painful doing the SolMed or the flushes, but it got in the way a lot trying to do daily chores. After three days, it came undone and a new line had to be set up. This time the nurse put it in my right forearm. This one hurt. The iv going in hurt and the flushes before and after were painful too. I swear I didn't think I was going to get through it. My husband was so sweet and was my cheering section! Also helped to have this board to share my misery. It is a nasty treatment but it will be over soon. Hang in there as best as you can. We are here to cheer you on. Are you going to do the oral steroid treatment when this is over? I did it for three weeks. The steroids deplete your potassium so try to eat bananas or other potassium rich foods and drink lots and lots of fluids. Hope tomorrow is better - Sharon Grace

Old 07-31-2005, 05:49 AM   #4
(female)

beachlover247 HB User
Re: SolMed treatment #2 not so smooth\day 3

Hi guys,

Can't thank you enough for your feedback! I NEED IT! Can't believe I was able to sleep last night. Guess it was that 1/2 a xanax I took. My doc said take only if needed....well, after yesterday I NEEDED! This morning I'm shaking like a leaf or worse. I suppose that's the solmed? Awful! Yes, Sharon, they said that I would be taking a taper off dose...but don't know how long. It didn't come with the solmed supplies, so suppose Ill find that out in the am. I talked to my sis last night on the phone....she's an RN but doesn't live close by. She thinks it's really awful that we're left to do this on our own. I can't see worth a flip, the nurse put it in my right arm (I'm right handed but she said it had the better vein), plus, she said if anything goes wrong, then you have to wait for them to come out. For what we pay, even with insurance, she said she thought it was awful to leave someone who already doesn't feel good to do something so unfamiliar to themselves. Anyway, she felt like the cathater probably got kinked somehow or pushed against the vein wall. Mine is in the underneath side of my forearm. My sis said that is the most tender part of the arm and that she usually places ivs in the top part of the forearm. We'll see where this nurse puts the next one this pm. I hope this is all worth it!! Thanks again for all you suppot and well wishes. I want to hear how all of you are doing!

Closed Thread