It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2005, 04:20 AM   #1
(female)

tiarah HB User
light flashes

I have been reading a lot of posts that say people have double vision. I don't think I have ever had double vision. I did have a bout of optic neuritis in '97 and since then I have light flashes out of my peripheral vision. When they first started it used to scare me because it seemed as if someone was coming up along side of me. I finally got used to it. I went to a neurologist who did a bunch of tests in this dark room, can't remember what the tests were called. They did an MRI, it was fine. They said it was migraines. I didn't buy it and still don't as I have never had headaches. The light flashes have continued. They are mostly in my right eye but my optic neuritis was in the left eye. Does this make sense? Is this a sign of MS? Has anyone ever heard of it? Again, I have not yet been diagnosed so I am just wondering. Now it seems that my vision in my right eye is a little weaker, even with my glasses on and my left eye has been my weakest all my life. I went to my "wonderful" ophthalmologist the other day as I had pain in my right eye, and he said my vision is the same as it was in '97. I DON'T buy that at all either. It just seems a bit weaker and I would think that I would know if my eyes were weaker, especially as I work on a computer and have to pull the screen closer to me to see it. LOL. It's not age either, as I am ONLY 38. LOL.

Last edited by tiarah; 07-31-2005 at 04:24 AM. Reason: adding more information

Old 07-31-2005, 04:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User
Re: light flashes

tiarah, I sometimes have light flashes. I don't get headaches either, but having had some close friends that got migranes I was concerned when I first had the light flashes. I did some research and learned that you can get a migrane of sorts without pain that can cause lights and/or shapes to flash. I have found that if I take 3 advil when it starts it goes away pretty quickly. Worth a try, maybe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2005, 04:58 AM   #3
(female)

tiarah HB User

Hmmmm... now, if this the case, couldn't the "migraines" that they say I have be the reason for the "white matter changes with demyelination" on my MRI. Don't they say that migraines can cause things like this on MRI's????

Old 07-31-2005, 05:06 AM   #4
(female)

marion06095 HB User

Tiarah, I know exactly the symptom you are talking about. You are right. At first the flash of lights in my peripheral vision startled me. Now, though, I am getting used to it.

Lilc, I know what you are talking about, too. They are called “silent migraines,” and they are not painful. These shimmering, brightly colored light patterns are more in the regular area of vision, and their usual duration is around 30 to 40 minutes. I have had only a few silent migraines, and it has always been at a time when I am very busy. When I get them, I sometimes wish I could go into a dark room and enjoy the show. I find the visual effects to be absolutely fascinating!

Tiarah, I, too, have a “wonderful” (rolling eyes!) ophthalmologist. He tests my eye pressure every 3 months for glaucoma. I have been complaining to him for at least three years about ON symptoms. I have done the same over the years with several other “wonderful” ophthalmologists, complete with second opinions. Each and every one of them told me that they found nothing wrong with my eyes, and told me not to worry about it. All I can think is that these doctors are not properly trained to respond appropriately to our symptoms. My current ophthalmologist would even get annoyed with me when I pushed the point with him. All I can think is that if they had taken my complaints seriously, I would have been diagnosed years ago, and perhaps I’d have more of my vision now.

P.S. – I am in “probable MS” limbo.

Old 07-31-2005, 05:47 AM   #5
(female)

tiarah HB User

Marion, do you still get the light flashes in your peripheral vision???? It's ongoing for me. Maybe a few days in between there is nothing but then it comes again and it's whenever, day or night. I am also finding that I am getting sensitive to light. If I go outside it bothers my eyes, I need to wear sunglasses. Is this something that I should be concerned about? Is it an MS symptom??? Sensitivity to light?

Old 07-31-2005, 06:41 AM   #6
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Hi,
I agree with the others that it sounds like Occular Migraines. I've had one myself and I do not have MS. A lot of people with and without MS get these migraines.

Take care,
Julie

Old 07-31-2005, 07:07 AM   #7
(female)

Rya3 HB User

I myself am still in limbo but I have had an occular migraine and I have also experienced the flashing lights in my peripheral vision (they are called phosphenes) Sometimes During the night it is like a switchboard going off behind my eyelids (like a visual pins and needles). They are very different for me than the lights and wavy hallucinogenic things that happen with an occular migraine. At the moment I think of the two things as being in different camps but I could be wrong.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:30 AM   #8
(female)

thnkpos HB User

tirah,
for yrs i have been sensitive to light, and couldnt understand y i could never go without sunglasses, and if the sun is going down and i take my sun glasses off its still to early and i have to squint, so i have to put them back on, i get the flashes also, but to be honest i didnt ask about the sensitivity to light once i was told it was ms, i figured thats y. but i will mention it next time, and im sure i'll get a well it could be....... lol

Old 07-31-2005, 10:31 AM   #9
(female)

marion06095 HB User

Tiarah, Yes, the peripheral vision lights happen every few days. I think it probably happens more often, but I don’t notice it so much any more.

As for this being a sign of MS, I just don’t know. I am very new to all this, and I have an appointment with an MS Neurologist on August 16. I’ll try to remember to ask him.

Last edited by marion06095; 07-31-2005 at 10:32 AM.

Old 07-31-2005, 11:43 AM   #10
(female)

cshellz HB User

Hi Tiarah:
Just to jump on the boat here-I too have had the flashes (scotomata?) peripherally and in middle. I have a hx of migraines--yea a neuro told me that he disagreed with last neuro of dx of MS--saying the migraines were causing the markings on mri--in his opinion. I have both "classic" (omg horrible kind) of migraines and also something called "migraine sin-migraine" where you get the flashies (for me like a camera flash's gone off making a blind area) and no pain--sometimes nausea or queasyness some not...... All in all much better than classic "sick" migraines.
Also opth told me that I may be more sensitive to light (always have been--takes long time to adjust after exposure to bright light...) and cause migraine type stuff b/c I am light skinned and blue eyed--?? Don't know if this helps any--Feel better soon...good wishes

Old 07-31-2005, 03:54 PM   #11
(female)

tiarah HB User

Cshellz, you don't have MS then???? Did your MRI say demyelination?? I would be happier if this was because of migraines. I have these light flashes all the time, perhaps a few days in between. I hate them but I am used to them now.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:48 PM   #12
(female)

cshellz HB User

hi Tiarah...
I do experience the migraines as I said--thankfully not as often as when I was younger. As for the MS--thats where it get confusing for me. Different Drs have said differently : the first said the mri I had (#1) showed white matter, scars and he felt it was early ms. I went home and cried... Was re checked a few year later--more scarring--white marks on mri #2. But the other office test (provoked whatchamacallit? sorry...) were not conclusive--so the second neuro says that the mri results are found in people with significant migraines or "..in old people.." (thanks--gives me something to shoot for huh?). He felt I should wait and be tested again "in a couple of years.." That was about 5 yrs ago.
As the few problems I've had have not been worth the hazards of the drugs--I've just plugged along and not been re-tested. But the last few weeks I have had more/greater probs. so I am thinking about checking it out further.
I see another post about the migraine connection--don't know if she meant that all people with "migraine damage" then go on to get ms....or what
Thanks for writing--good luck with the flashies...

Closed Thread