It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User
For Tiarah - Migraines/White Matter

Hey Tiarah!

It is my understanding that prolonged migraine events -be they painful or not - can definitely cause the scarring on the white matter known as MS.

What happens physically to make our neurological conditions jump from migrainous to the "disease" known as MS, I have no idea!! Wish I COULD figure it out!!!

Old 07-31-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
(female)

tiarah HB User
Re: For Tiarah - Migraines/White Matter

Well wouldn't that be great!!!! What about the demyelination????? That would be so wonderful if it was just a headache issue. It's the strangest thing though as I have never ever had a migraine and I rarely have headaches. THanks Kelli for the info!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
(female)

tiarah HB User

Wait a minute, I just reread what you wrote. You mean, that the scarring from the migraines is what MS is???? Or causes the MS???? I'm confused now. I thought that you meant that it might not be MS it could be migraine scarring. What is it that you meant? I seem not to be able to understand things that quickly lately, LOL. I'm driving my family nuts!!!! LOL.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

From what I gather...and I'll ask my neuro so I can post with more information..migraines can cause the scarring that becomes MS or is part of MS. I don't understand it myself.The scarring is from demyelination..which can apparently be caused by repeated prolonged migraines.

When demyelination occurs, your neuro pathways will repair themselves repeatedly until..like picking too much at a scab...a scar is brought on by demyelination.

I don't think I am making sense...LOL! It is late and I am beat. I am SO tired I forgot all about Avonex injection. Ugh!

Old 08-01-2005, 03:06 AM   #5
(female)

tiarah HB User

well for me then that would make sense. They never said anything about "lesions' just the white matter changes with demyelination. So, perhaps that is what it is for me, migraine problems. Keep fingers crossed. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-01-2005, 08:47 AM   #6
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Hi,
It is my understanding that although there may be an association between increased migraines and MS, they produce different types of lesions on the brain. I've never heard of migraine lesions converting to demyelinating lesions. I would be very interested in any information on this.

I have read that there is an increased rate of vascular or migraine headaches in people with MS.

Take care,
Julie

Old 08-01-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
(female)

tiarah HB User

Okay Julie, please, tell me, what you are saying is that white matter changes can be caused by migraines, but NOT demyelinization? I am so confused right now!!!!

Old 08-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #8
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Yes, that is what I have read. Migraines can leave discrete lesions in the white matter, separate from demyelinating lesions. For example, a person with chronic migraines, but definitely NO MS could have lesions on their brain caused by the migraines and not have anything to do with MS.

Until KelliD mentioned it, I have never heard of migraine lesions converting to MS lesions. That's not to say it can't happen - I've just never heard of it.

By the way, simply ageing can cause some discrete white matter lesions. There are so many different things that can cause white matter abnormalities. The neuro and radiologist have to look at the whole picture (no pun intended) of the films, clinical observations, and medical history to sort it out. We used a neuroradiologist to read my daughter's films.

I hope this clarifies what I was trying to say. I really don't ever mean to confuse anyone - health problems alone do a good job of that!

Take care,
Julie

Old 08-01-2005, 09:41 AM   #9
(female)

tiarah HB User

Julie, thanks for the info. LOL, don't worry about confusing me, it's really not that difficult. I guess i just have to wait until Thursday to see what is really going on. You have said that aging does cause some of the white matter changes. I'm 38, does it start at my age or is it more in teh elderly??

Old 08-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #10
(female)

rachel4123 HB User

HI all. I was told my "white" lesions are from past migraines. I went to the neuro complaining of dizziness/imbalance problems. He did MRI and it showed 20 spots, which in his opinion are from migraines. I am 33, I have had a few brutal migraines in my lifetime. We are still trying to rule out MS, but he doesn;t think I have it, based on passing other tests such as neurological exam and evoked potentials. However I do go back in a month for follow up. I am still not convinced I DON't have MS. Neuro thinks I have a vestibular neuritis that is causing the balance issues. Hopefully this is all it is, still need to follow up.

Closed Thread