It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
(female)

Moussie21 HB User
Question Researching Meds...

Hey Everyone...Thanks to everyone who responded to my post last week. It helped me tremendously...I am trying to keep a positive attitude through all of this, can't say it is easy though ..Anyway, I go to get all the information kits on the 4 meds that I have to choose from...I have until Aug. 31st, and then I let the Neurologist know which one I have selected...(too bad these aren't prizes/gifts that we are selecting) hahaha...Anyway, was wondering what most people take, and how it affects them. I see a lot of people take Avonex. I like the idea of only taking it once a week, but the thought of it having to go into the muscle makes me think twice. Just curious of which med is most easiest to deal with. Thanks for any input..Take Care, and Good Luck to all....

Old 08-01-2005, 10:22 AM   #2
(female)

beachlover247 HB User
Re: Researching Meds...

I just started taking Avonex last Fri. My nurse said it needs to go into the upper thigh area only, so to rotate legs each week...and inj. sight, too. I put an ice pack on the area for a couple of min. and that needle went in smooth as silk. Reallly didn't hurt much at all. I don't know how I'll feel about that this Fri. tho!! And the next, etc. LOL I wouldn't let the muscle thing determine my decision though. It wasn't that bad. More psychological than anything. From what I understand, everyone reacts differently to the meds, so you may not be kept on whatever you choose, depending on how your body reacts. Good Luck, I do wish we did get a prize....maybe it will be feeling better!!!! That would be the best gift ever!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2005, 11:20 AM   #3
(female)

Shirley7 HB User

I started taking Betaseron injections in June 2004. One year later, I had new MRI's showing no new lesions, and no new progession. Neuro wants me to continue with the Betaseron. At this point giving myself a shot every other day is all a part of the warfare against this MonSter. By the way, Betaseron is a subcutaneous (sp) injection. I give it to myself at night before bed along with either ibuprofen or tylenol. All a part of my normal routine now. Good Luck in your making a decision.
Shirley

Old 08-01-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
(female)

Katie M HB User

I've been on copaxone for almost 3 full months. The daily injection is not all-together enjoyable, expescially being that they tend to sting a great deal. I compare it to being stung by a very bad bee. The up side is that is basicly the only common side effect. I'm some what needle shy, so my husband gives me my shot every night before bed. I can't really say if it's helping or not, but I'm going in for another brain MRI tomorrow. I'll know more when I get the results.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:43 PM   #5
(male)

Royal HB User

Hi Moussie,

I've been self-injecting Avonex for years and years and have remained stable with no attacks. Had some side effects (mainly a temporary worsening of MS) early in therapy. This gradually lessened and lessened to the point where I no longer have any side effects at all and look at self-injecting Avonex as little more than minor inconvenience.
Prior to starting Avonex I tried Betaseron but had to quit after just a few doses due to bad side effects. My sense is that all of the CRAB drugs are about the same in terms of how well they work. (I'm sure others will disagree with this however.) Dosing and side effects seem to be what differ the most.
After reading this you are probably thinking that I am an Avonex proponent. Not really, as I know others on one of the other drugs and are doing well on them.
Best of luck on your treatment decision.
- Roy

Old 08-02-2005, 06:37 AM   #6
(female)

djpihavems HB User

Hi there,
Wow - big decision. The realistic questions are...
Are you afraid of needles?
How often do you want to shoot?

The Avonex needle is BIG, and it hurts. I took it for a few years, and never got past the side effects. But, it is only once a week.

The Copaxone needle is teeny, weeny. But, the shot is every day. I have been taking Copaxone for three or four years now. The way I see it, there are lots of annoying things I have to do every day. And if I can survive a bikini wax, I can do anything!

Old 08-03-2005, 04:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

The needle is thin, though.... The nurse who trains you has you practice on an orange with a dummy kit -- it really DOES feel the same! And the only pain is a bit of *****ing when the needle goes into the skin -- which is why they have you put it in fast -- almost like darting. You will feel it going deeper into your leg, but it won't be painful.

I was fine with the injection for the first several months, then I started developing a real discomfort with it and had my brother do it for me about 60-70% of the time.

I did a rotation of two leg sites, my arm (the needle is only inserted half-way there), and my hip (the company doesn't recommend the hip site because it's close to a nerve and may cause problems if you miss, but I never experienced problems) on each side. You have to have a partner to inject the arm and hip sites, though. My nurse said it would cut down on scarring because no site was injected more than once every eight weeks.

Last edited by Lisa_P; 08-03-2005 at 04:37 AM.

Closed Thread