It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User
WHEEEEE! Roller Coaster

OK, I don't want it to seem terribly inappropriate that I am very HAPPY right now, so I need to explain. My last set of blood tests were looking for something very ominous (and rare). So I have kinda stayed away, this was not the place to discuss it. Well, I just talked to my neuro and she is now working on confirming a dx of MS as my LP was in fact positive (something about an additional test she ordered - I didn't catch it all). And while my lesions are small, I have 6 of them (brain). So she is trying to tie it up with clinical stuff. In other words, I am happy (RELIEVED) to be back to now probable I guess, MS.
So I guess I've been on the right board after all.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User
Re: WHEEEEE! Roller Coaster

Well honey...I don't know whether to laugh or cry! I think I'll just thank God that you have a diagnosis and keep on praying for you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

LAUGH! It is GOOD for us!

Old 08-01-2005, 10:20 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

shellymay HB User

lilc,

You are the first person that I have spoke with that's LP was positive. I believe that the neurologist will ask me to do that next. I am afraid of doing it and also what makes me think that it will show anything when nothing else has shown up in any other test. How long have you been having symptoms before something showed up? I bet that you are happy and relieved to finally know what is wrong. I am going to through a party when they finally figure out what is wrong with me.

Michelle

Old 08-02-2005, 03:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

Michelle, it really is a relief. I have been feeling not well for a couple of years, but started having vibration/numbness March of this year, went to a doctor in April. I have several other symptoms that are not debilitating, so I know I am incredibly blessed to have found a neuro like mine who wouldn't give up! I know what you mean about throwing a party!
Don't be afraid of an LP, just follow the advice of your Dr and the folks here, it really isn't a horrible thing at all. And keep your chin up, know that you have people here who care and will listen and pray for you.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:02 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

shellymay HB User

lilc,
I really enjoy talking with you. It does help to know that there are people like you to talk to and do care and pray for you. Thank you for everything. You make my days easier to get through. I'm still scared about the LP but I will listen to you all. One question, is the LP anything like an epidural? Thanks for all your support!!!

michelle

Old 08-02-2005, 11:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

I was told all sorts of horror stories before my LP (from "helpful" friends, of course). It was really a simple procedure -- just lie still and let the doctor do his/her thing! I didn't even need pain ki9llers afterward. And I guess it was positive -- I was told it was "consistent with someone who has MS."

Last edited by Lisa_P; 08-02-2005 at 11:39 AM.

Old 08-02-2005, 12:01 PM   #8
Inactive

ImL8 HB User

Michelle.....Not to worry about the LP! It's not so bad......Several people had told me about the horrendous headache that were caused by having a LP, but the doctor that did mine, told me to make sure I stayed flat on my back for 24 hours, which I did, and didn't have a problem.

As for the epidural.........I've never had one!

Old 08-02-2005, 12:51 PM   #9
(female)

djpihavems HB User

lilc,
Welcome to the world of being official. They used just the same words with me "consistent." I am very, very lucky, in that I have benign MS. I barely ever have symptoms. During one neuro appt, I let myself get optimistic. I said to the dr, maybe I don't really have MS. You know what he said?

If I had to write a textbook about MS, I could use you as the subject.

So, there you have it. It is possible to have textbook MS, with a "consistent" LP, and still lead a wonderful, active, fruitful life.

I told him he could write the textbook, as long as I got my cut of the profits. He didn't think it was as funny as I did. Doctors... geez.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

djp, watch that neuro, you'd BETTER get a cut$$$! (They take themselves SO seriously sometimes!)
Michelle, I think I did the childbirth thing before they did epidurals (1975), but I heard there is a tube of sorts used for epidurals. The needle for the LP is almost as thin as a hair, I'm betting recovery is easier from the LP.

Closed Thread