It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
(male)

timhall124 HB User
Diabetes / MS like symptoms - advice

I wondered if anyone can advise me, I was diagnosed with diabetes 10 weeks ago. My blood sugar levels are now stabilised but in the past 4-5 weeks I have begun to experience some neuro symptoms. Slight numbness / tingling on left hand side of my body / numbness and stiffness in both hands in the morning and minor pins and needles sensations. The left of my face seems very slightly numb. They are very minor sensations and don't really hurt. I get tightness in my calfs and hamstrings as well. I play lots of sport and when I'm busy at work I don't notice any of it. In the evening or when I'm relaxed it's more noticeable and seems to be accompanied by trembling.

Is this diabetic neuropathy or could it be MS?

Old 08-02-2005, 08:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User
Re: Diabetes / MS like symptoms - advice

It could be diabetic neuropathy. I am a Type I (juvenile) diabetic as well as having MS. diabetic neuropathy tends to be periphiral in nature (numbness, pins & needles in the feet and hands) there seems to be a causal link between MS and diabetes, although it sounds like you have Type II diabetes. Type I and MS are both auto-immune in nature. However, they are beginning to write about a third type of diabetes that people in their teens to forties are getting that is a bit confusing because it has characteristics are both types of diabetes. they refer to it a Double Diabetes.

i wouldn't jump to any conclusions yet but i would see a doc and mention it. be cautioned that they will surely blame it on diabetes. ask them if facial numbness is typical of peripheral neuropathy...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
(male)

timhall124 HB User

Thanks for that. They are not sure whether I'm type 1 or 2 but I control it with diet and exercise. The symptoms all started straight after I stabilised my blood sugar levels which makes me think it's more likely to be related to that.

I have been told that when you stabilise your levels from a very high blood sugar count, it can take months for your body to get used to it and during this period you can experience all sorts of reactions / tiredness / numbness etc. Did you experience this?

I take it you are implying that facial numbness is not associated with diabetic neuropathy?

Old 08-02-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

If you are controlling with diet and exercise, it's Type II. Facial numbness is not usually associated with diabetes but you're right, things could just be out of whack.

Closed Thread