It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2005, 08:35 AM   #1
(male)

jennypash HB User
Copaxone

Hi All. I am in the process of starting copaxone injections. I am just waiting for the medication to arrive at my house. I got this injector thing yesterday from the company. Its spring loaded or something. I am scared to death of a daily injection but if it is what i need to do to battle this, then I will do it. My question is - do any of you know about this injector or use it? I would think it would make it eaiser than putting the needle in yourself - which is how I assumed it was done. Also - how has copaxone worked for you?

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2005, 08:41 AM   #2
(female)

djpihavems HB User
Re: Copaxone

In my opinion, the auto injector just hurts more. If it is the visual of the needle that upsets you, then you might need it. But, it doesn't make the shot itself any easier.

I know it's hard to believe at first, but you will get used to it. And honestly, doing the shot every day actually makes it easier. I used to take Avonex and the buildup between shots made me a basket case.

It just becomes part of your daily routine.

Some advice... make sure you take the shot out of the fridge a few hours before you use it, so it can come up to room temp. Don't shoot into the fronts of your legs. It hurts and leaves bruises. I don't shoot into my arms either, especially in the summer when you want to wear sleveless. The tummy and the butt are the easiest places to shoot. Learn how to do the shot yourself, so you don't have to depend on someone else to always be there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
(female)

Katie M HB User

Hi, I've been on copaxone for 3 months. I've never used the auto inject, but have it handy just in case. It looks alittle complicated to me. I would love to get to the place where I can give my own injections, but my husband gives them for now. In all truthfulness, I not sure I will ever be able to do it on my own. The shot may sting and welt some, alot like a bee sting, but for me, it doesn't start untill about 5 sec after the shot itself is over. I've never found the needle to be painful. The belly and butt is definatly the easiest to tolerate in my opinion also. I've never had any other problems from copaxone then the bee sting feeling. I wish you luck.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:01 AM   #4
(female)

painsucks HB User

Hi Jenny,

I've been on Copaxone for 5 months now. I use the auto-inject thing every day because I really didn't want to have look at the needle when I poked myself with it! I messed up a couple of shots early on, like I forgot to pull the red cap thing off the injector so when I pushed the trigger all the medication just squirted into the bottom of the injector, nice huh?! But now I'd consider myself a pro, it only takes me a couple of minutes to prepare and give myself the injection each day. I do it at night, part of my getting ready for bed routine. I actually take 5 of the shots out of the refrigerator at a time and put them in my little blue packet and keep them in my bathroom medicine cabinet. This way I don't forget to take it out of the fridge every day. But on those days when I do forget, I've got a funny method of "microwaving" the injection...I put the syringe under my boob! I guess gravity and old age are good for something sometimes! Everyone has already said, the hip and the tummy are the best sites, hurt the least and don't leave lumps or bruises. My legs always seem to bleed and bruise and my arms get lumps so I don't like to do it there. I do think the Copaxone is helping me, I haven't had a really bad flare up since March and that for me is a very good thing! You'll get used to doing this, it will just be like brushing your teeth after a while. Hang in there and keep us posted on how you do. Good luck.

Closed Thread