It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2005, 11:09 PM   #1
(female)

MyThreeGirlyGir HB User
Self Diagnosis.....

[ Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board. ]

Well I've been feeling "weird" for a few months. But I hate doctors (have issues) and think @ 23 years of age, I should be pretty h ealthy. But a friend of mine was diagnosed w/ MS and I remember (this was about 4 years ago) some of her symptoms were the same.... now my biggest hurdle is talking to the doctor. I should have never looked it up. I know I shouldn't have. Now my brain is going 100mph, I don't know WHAT to think, maybe it's all in my head? I don't know.... if anyone has any insight, an email would be great [ please read and follow the posting rules - no emails ] These are my symptoms

Optic Neuritis Blurred vision, eye pain, loss of colour vision, blindness this one being blurred and eye pain
Also, I have found I am having a hard time reading. Near or close. Words jump, or bunch together or blur real bad

Muscle weakness - partial or mild paralysis
This being the MAJOR part. There are times I get SO weak or SO stiff, I just plain out can't move. If I sit too long, or when I wake up int he morning. I'm only 23 I shouldn't be like that YET! Although bad bones do run in my dads family

Spasticity Loss of muscle tone causing stiffness, pain and restricting free movement of affected limbs
I think this touches w/ above

Dysarthria Slurred speech and related speech problems
This minorly... or just trying to find a word. It can be a TOTALLY stupid word, but I can't think of it for the life of me

Muscle Atrophy Wasting of muscles due to lack of use
Spasms, Cramps Involuntary contraction of muscles
Yup! Charlie horses, they feel like. Quite painful

Restless Leg Syndrome Involuntary Leg Movements, especially bothersome at night
BAD on this one! I had this when pregnant w/ my middle daughter, but it went away totally when she was born. It's back

Paraesthesia Partial numbness, tingling, buzzing and vibration sensations
My legs and arms. They are going numb quite often. Daily, I'd say
[
B]
Intention tremor Shaking when performing fine movements[/B]
I am a very hands on, crafty person. I can barely handle detail work anymore

Vestibular Ataxia Abnormal balance function in the inner ear

Vertigo Nausea/vomitting/sensitivity to travel sickness from vestibular ataxia
Some of these scared me when reading them... b/c I am like WOAH that's me too :'( I have been car sick the last 4 times we've traveled

Speech Ataxia Problems coordinating speech, stuttering
No stuttering. I'm fine typing, totally fine. But when it comes to talking, lately, I have been @ a loss for words. I can't remember what I was saying or why, so then I can't finish my thought. The words just won't come

Some of these are embarassing, but I trust you have all been here....., so bear w/ me or scroll past.

There have been days when I don't pee at all. As in 24 hours. I drink like normal

Frigidity Inability to become sexually aroused
I am a nympho... anyone who knows me, knows that. If I'm not doing it, I'm thinking it or talking about it. All Andy used to have to do is TOUCH me and I was raring to go. Now.. absolutely NO libido. None at all. I CAN reach orgasm. But only thru oral sex or self masturbation. That's the only way This is NOT normal for me

Constipation Infrequent or irregular bowel movements

I thought maybe it was my gall bladder surgery. But I was told it'd make me go MORE. I can go upwards of 4-5 days w/o a BM. Then when I do go... it's not "normal"

Depression

I battle w/ myself on this one... there are times I think I am, times I think I'm not :-/ I'm stubborn about admitting medical things....

Cognitive dysfunction Short-term and long-term memory problems, forgetfulness,
slow word recall this was mentioned above. Also, I can't remember. Like the other day I could NOT remember what color my room was, growing up. NOW I know my dad painted it "pepto bismol" pink when I was SIX, it was that way until I moved out @ age 16. Another is I couldn't remember WHERE the bathroom was in my house or what color it was-I was @ Menards thinking what flooring would look best. Things don't come to me until about an hour later, but it's not like I can SAY anything, Andy (husband) would be sending me to the nut house!

Mood swings, emotional lability, euphoria
Worse than ever. I can get TOTALLY ****** @ anything and everything. Then BAM next time, it's funny. This is another major one

Anxiety
Here we go again... admitting. I *think* I've been having panic attacks. Just minor ones, but ones nonetheless and I'm NOT a highly anxious person. I'm pretty easy going

Aphasia, Dysphasia Impairments to speech comprehension and production
Touched on numerous times... this is a biggie for me too. I thought I had brain damage or something Seriouslly... as stupid as that sounds

Fatigue
Just all together weird sleep patterns. Like now, it's 1a.m. I haven't been to sleep since 3am yesterday. That's when I woke up. (so 22 hours of up time)Othertimes I DRAG to stay away until 8pm!

Uhthoff's Symptom Increase in severity of symptoms with heat

I feel slightly more "out of it" when in heat. I can't focus. And I become VERY stiff. Also, after a hot bath/shower

Sleeping Disorders

Okay... now that that's off my chest. I feel kind of better to get it out. Kind of ****** b/c soem of that stuff said scares me. Badly. Kind of nervous, b/c I don't feel I'll TELL my doctor. I am definately mentioning the stiff body, speech and sleeping problems though (along w/ my ear!!!)

Am I crazy? I know everyone says "talk to your doctor" and if I had a doctor that I LOVED like I used to... I would. This lady is nice, Andy really likes her. But they are small town, kwim? And it's my primary physician, so w/o referal, I'm not covered to see anyone else

I'm bad w/ going to the doctor. I hate it. Because it NEVER turns out good. And I don't awnt Andy mad at me for "lying", but he saw my great grandma, my grandma, and now my mom as she is following in their footsteps. Something is ALWAYS wrong. That's why I hate doctors, prescription companies, taking meds, etc.

Ugh... I'm gonna shut up now Sorry for doing this....

Last edited by moderator2; 08-09-2005 at 03:40 PM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - no emails

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 11:28 PM   #2
(female)

beachlover247 HB User
Re: Self Diagnosis.....

Hi My3Girly,
I know and understand how much you probably hate Dr.s and their tests,costs, etc., but unfortunately it's part of getting treatment? Whatever you do have, you need to find out what it is, no matter what. I know, believe me I know, it's not easy, but it is important for you and your future with your family to seek out medical advice and get whatever meds that may help you. My prayers are with you. Please keep us posted as to what you decide and how you're feeling. Take care, Sue

Old 08-09-2005, 03:45 AM   #3
(female)

kimber lee HB User

you accually have all these symptoms? how long has this been going on? yes i would say only from what your saying that you do have ms or possibly fibromyalgia, but it sure sounds like ms too me, you have described every symptom to the tee. get some help girlfriend its gone too long untreated if you want treatment, if its money that your worried about then go to the county hospital and tell them you dont have aqny money or inssuusurence, they cant turn you away, go into the emergency you will get immdiate help there, may take some time but i would do it. good luck, kimber llee

Old 08-09-2005, 05:36 AM   #4
(female)

MyThreeGirlyGir HB User

This has been going on, off and on, probably 2-3 months.....

I have insurance. It's not that. Don't have money... but my insurance covers most everything. I'm just scared to say it, what if I DON'T have it?

Yes... I have all of these symptoms. And I tried explaining them, so they made a bit more sense in laymans terms.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-09-2005 at 03:49 PM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - no emails

Old 08-09-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
(female)

sparkle27 HB User

I totally understand where you're coming from. I should never have looked up MS either! Yeah, the symptoms fit, but if it's partly health anxiety (believe me I know all about that) your cognitive and speech problems coould easily be stress related. I'm just speaking from a personal experience, and there are many other conditions and diseases that could fit your symptoms. See a good neuro...I am tomorrow. It doesnt sound fun, but maybe you can get some relaxation or an answer. Something.

Kristen

Old 08-09-2005, 11:01 AM   #6
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Hi,
With all of the symptoms you have listed, there is no doubt that you should see a doctor. Here is some advice that was given to me about how to approach your doctor when you think something is wrong:

Give the new neuro a concise list of symptoms. It wouldn't hurt to actually write a list of bullet points and take them with you. I do this when I go to either my GP or my neuro.

Try to be unemotional or at least as rational-sounding as possible. Don't give anyone a reason to think you're psycho-somatic. Female patients are especially at risk of having this happen to them.

Let the neurologist do his work, i.e., don't walk in there and say something like, "I think I have MS." They really don't like it when people do that. And don't tell the doctor that you looked up MS on the Internet and that your symptoms seem to match. If a doctor thinks you've self-diagnosed via the Internet he is going to look for a way to prove you wrong.

Don't expect an immediate answer. MS is difficult to diagnose. Few people get a quick verdict one way or the other. It can be an extremely frustrating process.

Your ultimate goal should be to find a doctor you trust, and then to listen to what they tell you, even if the answer is "I don't know yet." It's a real balancing act, because ultimately only you can make the decision as to whether you'll believe your doctor.

Please let us know what happens.

Take care,
Julie

Last edited by Jewel2; 08-09-2005 at 11:11 AM.

Closed Thread