It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
(female)

JacquieW HB User
Question I need a mans perspective!

I am new to this message board but I feel that I am in good company. Unlike most/all of the other people on this board I myself do not have MS, I am the wife of an MS'er. My husband was diagnosed with MS June 2002. He has been on Rebif ever since he was diagnosed.
We were just recentley married and want to start a family a.s.a.p. We were wondering if the Rebif could affect a baby or if it would affect my getting pregnant. It was suggested that he stop his medication 3 months prior to trying to get me pregnant. I just don't know how or if the Rebif could affect me or any possible babies since I am not the one taking the medication directly.
I would like to know if any of the men out there went through the same thing with their wives and if they did stop the medication. Any and all suggestions would be a welcomed sight. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2005, 09:25 PM   #2
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User
Re: I need a mans perspective!

Hello Jacquie and welcome!

I'm one of those who doesn't have MS - my mother and daughter do.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to get the information you need from the people here. Besides, I don't know that I would fully trust an unknown Internet user with such an important question and answer. What you should do is call Rebif's MS LifeLines toll free number and ask them directly.

Congratulations on your recent marriage and best wishes as you start your new family.

Take care,
Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2005, 10:03 PM   #3
(female)

StephMA HB User
Re: I need a mans perspective!

Hi,

I'm the wife of a man w/ MS too. I visit this board sporadically. It doesn't seem that lots of men post here. It's true that MS is more common among women, but I also think that women are more likely to reach out and support each other through this type of forum.

I would ask your gynocologist to research the Rebif or, like Jewel said, call the rebif manufacturer directly ... but I would ask the person on the help line to send documentation and have your doctor review it.

We had infertility issues ... I had trouble getting pg and when I DID get pg, I had trouble staying pg. I do not believe our issues were directly caused my husband's MS. We did some infertility testing and minimal treatment but the stress of having to "perform on demand" was incredible on him and it did affect him and some of our testing and treatment was occassionally postponed or delayed due to stress. We gave up treatment fairly early and adopted. Then we went on to have a surpise pregnancy and by applying what we learned in early failures, I stayed pregnant.

I wish you and your husband both the best as you build your family. ((hugs))

Closed Thread