It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
(female)

cshellz HB User
for Sunshine --a Q? about tx. Thanks!

Re: Has anyone tried Alt. tx--like acupuncture?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh Sunshine...
thanks for shedding some (sunshine--er) on the subject!
I kind of had the feeling that tcm deals more with chi than actual disease like western med. From what I've heard--they check and find the root cause and treat that not just the problem (ie:if you have IBS western give you a pill: TCM finds 'why' you have that problem and where it is coming from--??)
Don't know if thats right--.?
Anyway, you mentioned that if I did get dx finally--that the acupuncturist should NOT use any "standard tx formations" and be careful not to overload my system--Can you explain please? Is that the "needle placement" (as in formation??) or herbs or??? So what you're saying is that your acupuncturist studied and treats your individual symptoms--not the "standard disease of MS?"
Sorry for the long question--but it sounds like you've really been helped and I figured that even if the Dr.s (western) were not agreeing on what it is I have--I still want some relief! I am sooo tired of being treated like a hypochondriac! Even if it's NOT MS (which I doubt--but) and it is fibromyalgia or whatever--It is STILL MESSING UP MY LIFE FOR NOW! Life is too short to put up with this when I can at least try to get help---right?
Besides, I'm afraid that if they do finally dx me officially--my health ins will go way up (esp if we move out of state and have to get new ins ) and then the dr. won't be really pleased that I won't just "accept" certain treatments and drugs. I agree with your baseball bat & mosquito theory---with lots of things!
Thanks for taking the time to help--much appreciated
PS...just started a TaiChi class--hoping it will help: Yoga is getting kind of difficult some days--oh well, We carry on ...

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2005, 07:42 AM   #2
(female)

revlcb HB User
Re: for Sunshine --a Q? about tx. Thanks!

Quote:
Even if it's NOT MS (which I doubt--but) and it is fibromyalgia or whatever--It is STILL MESSING UP MY LIFE FOR NOW! Life is too short to put up with this when I can at least try to get help---right?
I so agree.

I'm not versed in the pratice of Accupunture although I do understand the theory. I am a Reiki Master. You may want to try this along with the Accupunture. I have found that Reiki does alleviate my sx.

Also being undx to date, I do meld the traditional medicine (to treat some sx) with the alternative and have found a balance I can live with while going through Limboland. If I physically overdo it, I can use Reiki energy to relax me so that my body can heal itself more quickly.

Best of luck, Lisa.

Old 08-29-2005, 08:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User
Smile Re: for Sunshine --a Q? about tx. Thanks!

Sorry, I was off line all weekend. What I mean by standard treatment formations is that in acupuncture, there are certain points that are major meridan points and a lot of times, practioners use those points to boost chi. Those major meridan points tend to a little too aggressive for a disease like MS that can be aggravated so easily...

Typically, acupuncturists will use a symetrical needle formation, meaning if they put a needle in one hand, they will put a corresponding needle in the other hand in the exact same place. Treatments of diseases like MS or Lupus will often involve an asymetrical treatment, meaning they will use a point on one side of the body but not use the same point on the other side BUT it will be one that relates to and supports the other needle point.

It is a complicated system and I can only speak about what my TCM practioner has done or recommended. He is treating me more like someone who has Lupus and this is because I am also a Type I diabetic, so my disease pathology acts more like Lupus. And this has been successful so far.

As far as herbs are concerned, the ones I take are geared towards boosting energy and alleviating fatigue as well as stabilzing my digestion. I would often swing between diaherrea or constipation. Never normal...

Other things I take herbs for are eye problems, ON and nystagmus and I've had good luck getting relief from both those eye symptoms.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
(female)

cshellz HB User

Thanks for the reply---will print it out and take with me when I get the appt.
Very Kind---good to have someones opinion who's been there...

Old 08-30-2005, 07:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

Good luck and keep me (us) posted!

Closed Thread