It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2005, 12:57 AM   #1
(female)

AllyG HB User
Chemo as Treatment

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on using chemotherapy as a treatment for MS. My uncle is 42 and his MS is getting worse all the time - he gets a relapse every few weeks now. His neuro has recommended that he gets chemo once a month for 6 months and we were wondering what the benefit of this is.

My uncle is a little nervous as chemo is hard at the best of times and he is wondering what he should expect and what the treatment will do for him.

Take care everyone.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User
Re: Chemo as Treatment

AllyG, never heard of "chemo" for MS, at least not the kind of chemotherapy they give for cancer. What sort of drugs? Are they referring to IV steroids or something?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2005, 04:13 AM   #3
(female)

AllyG HB User

I really dont know. Neither does he - he tends to let his wife get all the info and do the talking.

I think it might be the same type of chemo as they said he will have virtually no immune system - not great for someone with MS.

They did tell him that it is supposed to work quite well in progressive cases. They told him about a woman in a wheelchair for sometime who was walking after the chemo treatment and you can only get one course of treatments (1 a month for 6 months).

He's very confused and nervous. The last few years have just been getting worse and he'll do anything to get back to his old self. He's lived with it for almost 20yrs but now its getting bad - a worry for the rest of us in the family with it!! Will we be the same?

Old 09-01-2005, 05:04 AM   #4
(female)

revlcb HB User

I've heard of using chemo before so I did a Yahoo search "chemotherapy MS treatment" this is a snipet of what was on the first site...

"The rationale for the use of chemotherapy to treat MS stems from the fact that MS is considered to be an autoimmune disease. An abnormal, heightened immune action of certain white blood cells mounts an attack on the myelin of the central nervous system. Destruction of myelin—the fatty sheath that surrounds and insulates nerves—causes nerve impulses to be slowed or halted and produces the symptoms of MS. Since administering chemotherapeutic agents diminishes the numbers of white blood cells, it should theoretically slow down or halt this autoimmune destruction."

The site goes on to tell of the reactions/precautions and such. Interesting.

Old 09-01-2005, 06:25 AM   #5
(female)

Barbbelle HB User

Hi! So sorry that your uncle is having such a hard time. I did the chemotherapy drug Novantrone for a year and a half due to repeated relapses. It is an IV chemo drug that they also use for some types of breast cancer. I was given the IV once every 3 months for 5 doses. It drops your white blood cells and seemed to definitely stop my MS train. I was taken off of it because my white count wasn't recovering between the 5th and 6th doses. This may not be the same drug that they want to give your uncle, but I wanted to give you the name of it so you can do your own search on it. Novantrone has a lifetime dose restriction due to the fact that it can be hard on your heart. They would do a muga scan before the first dose and periodically throughout the treatment.

Best of luck to you and your family!!

Old 09-01-2005, 07:11 AM   #6
(female)

AllyG HB User

Thank you so much for your information.

I know he has to go for a week of tests etc to make sure he is good condition so perhaps it is the same drug. I will do some more research on this and check some web-sites.

Thank you very much - I must say this is a great web site, i've gotten so much info and advice from you all in the past.

God Bless.

Closed Thread