It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2005, 11:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User
Questions: meds/diagnosis age/alternative treatment

so i'm posting this because i'm curious about a couple things. first, ive read its better to get MS early. before age of 35, and other one said 25. makes prognosis better. is this true? and if so does anybody know why and what is better about it? second, with the medication they give you, i here there's side effects to it, like flu symptoms, but things ive read say the side effects diminish the more you use the drug. is this true? and third, what is everybody's take on alternative medicine and helping MS.. has anybody tried that or heard anything positive about it? thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User
Re: Questions: meds/diagnosis age/alternative treatment

I was 23 (nearing 9 yrs ago) when I was DXd. Yes, I've heard its better to be younger but I think it depends on the person. I am not on any of the CRAB drugs and do not plan to any time soon. I am treating my MS through acupuncture, Chinsese herbal therapy, nutrition and yoga.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
(female)

orngcrayon HB User

I am 21, diagnosed relatively recently. I've never heard that prognosis is better when you're young. It doesn't change the rate of progression. On average, people slip from relapsing remitting and into secondary progressive in 10 years. So the difference for me is, I would be slipping into progressive forms at 31, whereas someone diagnosed at 45 wouldn't until 55.

So, it's not something I've heard. And I work in a field that researches and educates about chronic illnesses, including MS.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

ic.. yeah i don't get it, most of the stuff i've read on MS speaks about age and younger is better.. maybe because they're more phsycially capable of dealing with it, or the disease won't be as advanced right away.. whooooo knos.. oh, and sunshine, how is it going using herbal treatment and acupuncture? is the treatment working where u can still be active and function pretty normally? and what does the herbs claim to do? slow the disease, or actually fight it different than the medical drugs? because i know a chinese medicine guy in Los Angeles whos really good.. why haven't u used the CRABs ? and would u recommend pursuing the herbal route instead, or on top of the drugs? thanks

Old 10-19-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Sco24,

One thing I have learned about MS is,is that it does not discriminate against age.It's a terrible disease and a lot of treatments depends upon a persons life style.What is good for one may not be good for others.I do not take the crab's at this time,that is my choice at this time in my life.The side effects of these meds and others soley depends on an individuals body chemistry.
As for age,I was told I had Ms at the age of 33 and I ignored it,I had been recovering from a terrible failed back surgery and honestly thought the surgeon was covering his butt.I have been hit hard this time,I showed no signs of MS until 10 months ago And I've been knock for a loop.I wish I would have pursued the diagnosis back then.
I take zanaflex for chronic muscle spasms,folic acid to help damaged nerves and I started pin point therapy today.After one treatment I had control over my left arm.I'd love to try yoga,but sitting down and crossing my legs then trying to get up wouldn't be a pretty sight.I keep positive,I've learned limitations and I stay away from stressful situations.
Talk to your DR. find out more about each drug, educating yourself and listening to your body can be your best bet.

Toni

Old 10-20-2005, 09:45 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

curious11 HB User

I think the question of age and prognosis may have been speculated at one time. My brother was diagnosed 9 years ago when he was 17. His (our) neurologist was surprised to see such a young active teenager coming down with this disease. He consulted with a mentor of his who "had seen more MS patients than God" as he puts it, and this neurologist told him that in his experience, patients diagnosed young have a better outcome usually. My brother has been living attack/ symptom free for about 6 years now. So who knows what plays a role in that, but everyone is different. As my neurologist was telling me this story about my brother, I expected him to give me hope in that same sense as I am only 20 years old. But, he didn't say I was better off for being so young. So... just like anything else... every case is different, as is every individual. The course of the disease will run different in everyone, as me and my brother are night and day with this disease!

Old 10-20-2005, 02:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

yeah i would agree.. but the more im reading, the more i'm believing that alternative medicine is a positive way to go. obviously with something like this everything can help. but even western medicine agrees that this disease probably is caused by some kind of virus exposure, genetics, and other environmental conditions. i hear that if u do take the alternative medicine rout, it is expensive, and takes a long time of persistence and patience.. not to mention u have to change ur whole diet and lifestyle.. i think its definitley something to look into along with keeping up with western medicine and ur normal docs.

Old 10-20-2005, 03:24 PM   #8
(female)

revlcb HB User

I totally believe that natural remedies can help with just about every disease known to man. But, I also believe that modern medicine has it's purpose.

If and when I get a dx, I plan on combining the two healing modalities. Likely Copaxone w/acupuncture, reflexology, some herbals and such.

Lots of homework ahead. In the meantime, I'm going the natural route but no sx relief yet.

Lisa

Old 10-20-2005, 10:19 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

yeah there's a chinese medicine guy in Los Angeles who's really really good. if anybody wants to get info on him let me know.. my neighbor basically got her life saved by him.. western meds couldn't figure it out, she was like 80 lbs and couldn't eat anything, really sick.. but the doc helped her and now shes fine. of course chinese therapy is constant, and really for the rest of ur life u'll have to keep up on it. especially when it is prescribed like LA chinese doc does. but yeah, he helped my bro too, when docs couldnt figure out what was wrong.. some thought he had chrons disease, but turns out hes fine.. got herbs, changed his diet dramatically, and as long as he sticks to it, he's good. so there's definitley something to it, i think it really boils down to staying with it, since a lot of people drop out, think its not going to work, get lazy, etc. because the herbs u have to take every day. and the therapy is a lot as well.. but hey, with this chronic disease if this can help why not do it and keep u active ur whole life. let's hope it does that.

o and lisa, what kind of alternative therapy are u doing, and herbs? are u seeing anyone in particular or just buying them off the shelf in like natural stores and such?

Last edited by Sco24; 10-20-2005 at 10:20 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Closed Thread