It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
Can this be MS? how does a MS Flare up feel like?

can anyone explain to me what a MS flare up feels like, i wa sin the ER a few weeks ago and teh doctor insisted on doing a spinal tap, i refused since he didnt explain to me why he wanted to do it, anyway when i came home a friend told me that he might have been looking for MS, anyway i am so scared that i didnt get an MRI, but i realy would liek to know what it feels like, these are my symptoms below, by the way I have hypothyroid/hashimotos and they seem to hae alot of the same symptoms as MS

1-numbness/tingling when i try to sleep, the side i sleep on gets numb and i have to switch sides

2-numbness/tingling on arms/face/top of head

3-alot of dizziness-lightheadedness

4- 2x in 6 months i woke up not being able to see from one eye for about 10 seconds

5-really bad acid reflux

6-fatigue

7-migraines

by the way about 5 months ago I had a spine MRi done to check for a pinched nerve and that was normal, and 2 weeks ago the doctor in the ER did a catscan which was also normal, i am so scared of having MS since i already am dealing with so much with my thyroid condition that is out of control and a few years back i had myxedema coma awhich i almost lost my life, and now with teh acid reflux being so bad that it burned y throat and i couldnt eat for 3 months and just started eating last week again, but zi am worried and have that MS in the back of my head, any input, please let me know what a flare up feels like that way i can at least know more about MS Thanks a bunch

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User
Re: Can this be MS? how does a MS Flare up feel like?

Why were you in the ER?

Old 02-01-2006, 03:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh one more thing I want to add when i was 16 (now i am 31) I had a strange thing happen to me, I was walking and out of the blue I felt this intense pain come from the back of my head down to the back of my leg and i passed out for about 5 minutes or less, the ambulance came and took me to the hospital and they could not find anything but this was so long ago i a not sure if tht could be MS its never happened before.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi i went to he ER because since i hadnt ate solid foods for 3 months because of the extreme acid reflux, and was living on ensure and went to the ER because i was dehydrated, anyway i also had lost vision in one eye when i suddenly woke up with a bad migraine, but the doc really wanted to do that spinal tap, but he nevr really explained why.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
(female)

Sharon Grace HB User

JennyVee - So sorry to hear about the ordeal you are going through. Regarding your question on what an MS attack feels like, I can only tell you that it is different for everybody. Some people go numb in arms or legs, some lose vision (Optic Neuritis) some can't walk, some lose different bodily functions (bowel or bladder or difficulty swallowing) some lose balance and equilibrium. That is just the short list. MS symptoms and flare-ups manifest in many, many ways. which makes it a huge challenge to diagnose. Usually, a good Neurologist will take lots of tests including brain and C-spine MRI to look for lesions along with other nerve conduction tests. Usually, a spinal tap is done toward the end of all other testing to confirm a diagnosis, if need be. Since MS can mimic so many other diseases, doctors must eliminate several things before an accurate diagnosis can be made. I suggest you find a good Neurologist, preferably one with experience in dealing with MS and you can begin the journey toward answers. I wish you all the best on this journey - Sharon Grace

Closed Thread