It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 07:52 AM   #1
(female)

Peanutsmom247 HB User
I'm Seeing Pink +

I don't know what the heck is going on with me. On top of the other symptoms I have, a couple of months ago my vision got wierd. I could swear I had stuff on my glasses because everything looked like it had a film on it, but glasses were clean. Also, for a few minutes at a time, things (especially white things) took on a light pinkish color. This has come and gone from time to time since.

Yesterday I had a good day. Maybe I was in front of the computer too long, I don't know... Anyway, about 5:30 I suddenly got a terrible headache between my eyes. I can't tell if its in on top, inside, or behind my eyes. An hour later I took a relaxing hot shower. Well, I guess that was a big mistake. When I got out I was so dizzy! I tried to go about my night and ignore it. I hate talking about what's going on with me because my poor boyfriend can't take it. He gets so stressed about me because we don't know what's going on. Other times I think he thinks I am making it all up (going bonkers). He's an ICU nurse and so, bless his heart, he thinks he knows everything. He is extremely knowledgeable, but he refuses to think it's anything neurological...

Okay, I'm off topic. Anyway, I was so dizzy. I fell in the kitchen. I fell over my daughters bed after I leaned down to kiss her good night, stood back up, and began to walk away. I fell into the wall in the bathroom. This is kinda' worrying me because I've never gotten this dizzy before. Also, as this happened, all my sesory stuff started going crazy. I had heavyness and tingling in my legs. Also really bad pain in one area of my left leg. My head felt like it was crawling... To top it all off, I started seeing that pink hue on everything again.

Does anyone else see pink or wierd stuff? Sometimes I can't tell what is wrong with my eyes, I can only tell that I'm not seeing normally. I don't know if it's better, worse, or what. Stuff just looks far away or wierd... I already have eye problems (I was born with cateracts and developed nystagmus as an infant).

If I get too much dizzier I should probably go to the hospital, especially since I don't have a dx for anything yet. I just hate to go... They're so mean to me! I haven't been in over six months, but whenever I would go for the pain (my first symptom), they pretty much figured I was there for pain meds. I even refused pain meds once. the doctor was such a jerk. He said "yeah, you might have MS. You probably need an MRI." bla bla... He wouldn't order one, though! He said he didn't have access to that (right... what kind of idiot do you think I am? You're in a freakin' hospital). So he was going to send me on my way and then I did ask for something for pain, and he told me, "I can't prescribe narcotics." What??? I wanted to challenge him and say "wow, what did you do wrong that they took away your privelidge? All doctors are supposed to be able to do that." What a jerk - So I don't want to go back. THen again, something bad could be going on... They could give me a dx....

Thanks for letting me share.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
(female)

Peanutsmom247 HB User
Re: I'm Seeing Pink +

Okay, I'm going to the hospital. I am just getting worse... I'll be sure to let you guys know how mean they were to me LOL .

Old 02-04-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
(female)

iluvsiamese HB User

Hope you're feeling better. He probably wouldn't order up a MRI because they usually leave that to the neuro's. But not being able to prescribe a pain med... I've never heard of anything like that. I would have asked to see his medical credentials, lol. Anyhow. You really need to get in to see a neurologist. Emergency rooms aren't a lot of help. Short term quick fixes yes, chronic problems are another thing entirely.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User

yes i have had that happen about 2 weeks before my bout of ON.. only the weird glow stuff i was seeing was Purple and Blue not Pink.. ( still have it happen even after getting the IV roids for it but it is far less now) the blurry vision is def something to worry about i mean they are your eyes.. dont let them just brush it off as nothing! i was also very dizzy.. if you can get yourself to a good opthomologist ( not just a normal eye Dr) or even better a neuro-opthomologist.. i mean i am probably wrong ( and i hope i am) but if it is the start of ON the sooner it gets taken care of the better..

Old 02-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
(female)

Peanutsmom247 HB User

Thanks guys.

What is "ON?"

I went to the hospital. Labs are perfect. I had a CT done. That was negative. Good news. However, CT's are generally used in the diagnosis of MS, are they? I think they were just checking for brain bleeds/tumors, etc...
They told me to get back to my nuro. ASAP. Will see him Wednesday.

Old 02-04-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutsmom247
Thanks guys.

What is "ON?"

I went to the hospital. Labs are perfect. I had a CT done. That was negative. Good news. However, CT's are generally used in the diagnosis of MS, are they? I think they were just checking for brain bleeds/tumors, etc...
They told me to get back to my nuro. ASAP. Will see him Wednesday.
"ON" = optic neuritis sorry i forget not everyone knows the litte abbreviations we use sometimes..

i thought MRI was used more then CT.. nothing ever showed up in my CT but that was a few years ago so maybe not enough damage had been done in my brain yet to have it pick it up..

Old 02-04-2006, 07:52 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

StephanieAnne HB User

Peanutsmom

So glad to hear that you are ok, sorry that you had a bad time of it.

I had a thought, the hot shower, I love hot showers, but now with MS, I find that I break out in hives if I take a hot shower, so I take a warm shower, I find that MS and heat area enemies. Maybe that was enough to get things stirred up in you today.

Blurry vision, I have that frequently, went to a Opth he said everything looked good, he also told me that ON will make colors look muted, or duller than what they usually are, so that is something to keep in mind.

and yeah MRI is better than a CT scan for MS diagnosis, I think that because the cost of a MRI, that unless the provider [the hosp or er dr] knows that your ins will cover it, they are more apt to have you go to your neuro to get the MRI done.
The er will probably send a report to your neuro, but I would write down all your symptoms/problems so you don't forget all that you went thru.

Glad to hear that you are home
Steph

Old 02-04-2006, 11:04 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

lestoby HB User

When they didn't know what was going on with me (my first attack was very sudden and unexplained) they started with the following tests:

1. Blood Test - result was normal
2. CAT Scan - Showed an infarct in my occipital lobe - this was done about two weeks after my attack
3. EKG for Heart - result was normal
4. Vascular Test on my R Calf (had extreme pain) at ER - about 3 weeks after attack - result was normal - I actually started having a burning feeling in my R calf down to my toes 6 months prior to my attack (another early warning sign). I always thought it was from the way I sit at my computer with my legs propped up on my desk.
5. MRI - Finally scheduled 4 weeks after attack - showed 2 lesions in white matter of occipital lobe
6. Finally saw a neuro - 5weeks after attack - most of my severe symptoms had resided - he claims - "I don't think you have MS" - I was able to pass most of his little tests at that point, except for the heel/toe - I couldn't even begin to do that test.
7. Opthomologist - 3 months after attack - I saw him 3 years ago for the same symptoms (which were an early warning sign of MS, but I didn't know this) and he was unable to diagnose ON without doing more expensive testing - referred me to an ENT. I am that 1% female population who was born color blind, so the color-blind test was rather pointless in determining MS. However, my blind spots had increased since my last visit 3 years prior. Another sign of MS.
8. ENT - 4 months after attack - sent me for a SINUS CAT SCAN = had sinus infection in one sinus cavity and a 12mm osteoma in my left frontal sinus cavity. This also showed up in my initial CAT Scan, but nobody bothered to explain what an osteoma was (bony growth). Everybody more concerned with the "infarct" at that time. ENT now wants to monitor this problem on top of all my other problems. Apparently osteomas can grow.
9. MRI - 4 months after initial atack - wanted to squeeze this one in before my $2500 deductible rolled over to a new year - no changes from initial MRI.

Today - I sit and wait for another attack - deal with my symptoms - keep a positive outlook and try to get myself back to the "old me". However, a half hour at Wal Mart the other day seems to have wiped me out and increased the pain in my calf for the past 3 days.

So....... to answer your question - "Yes", a CAT scan just might show something if you have lesions.

Good luck on your journey throug "Limboland" I know how it is to just want to be diagnosed with something, just to feel validated.

Old 02-05-2006, 07:18 AM   #9
(female)

Peanutsmom247 HB User

Punkdizzle,

I have a question for you. When you talk about seeing a colored "glow" is that like a glow around an object, or is it like wearing glasses w/ that tint? For me, It's like my glasses are tinted slightly pink. Also it happens for about five minutes and then goes away. Then it happens again later. Does this sound like what you're going through?

You're right about my eyes being important. It's wierd that she didn't even look in my eyes at the hospital last night. Anyway, I'll go to see my opthomologist this week. I need to make sure everything is okay.

Take Care

Old 02-05-2006, 07:24 AM   #10
(female)

Peanutsmom247 HB User

StephanieAnne,

Thank you very much for writing to me. I have noticed in the past that hot showers make the pain worse, but not always. I think you're right, though, because the dizziness set in really bad with the shower that night. Then it worsened with my shower the next morning. Ugh- I'm afraid to go get in there now because I already feel terrible. I guess cold would be better?

This so sucks because i have SO much homework to do. How am I ever goign to read and stare at the computer to get it done? LOL- I'm preaching to the choir on this one, right?

Thank you for the suggestion to write everything down. Someone here recently posted a list she (she, I think?) made of her symptoms. I think I'll do the same. I'll also write up the problems I had this weekend. Plus, the hospital gave me copies of my test results. Actually everyone was so very nice this last trip. It was like going to a different place!

I'll keep you guys updated. If you think of anything else to share, just let me know .

Take Care

Old 02-05-2006, 07:32 AM   #11
(female)

Peanutsmom247 HB User

Lestoby,

Wow, thank you very much for sharing with me. Well I guess it's a good sign then that my CT was normal.

****"Good luck on your journey throug "Limboland" I know how it is to just want to be diagnosed with something, just to feel validated.
"*******

You are so right about this. The main problem I have right now is that I'm afraid that my boyfriend and my family will think I'm faking, making it up, or just crazy. I even started to doubt myself. Then I thought, "okay, what is going on is not fun, and I'm certainly not getting babied or anything- in fact it's causing me a lot of problems in my personal relationship." Therefore, if I were making this up, I probably would have stopped a long time ago once it wasn't beneficial! I'm tired of feeling like crap. It's just terrible that we find outselves doubting our own sanity just because "they didn't find anything." Well, I guess we need to look somewhere else....

Old 02-05-2006, 08:37 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutsmom247
Punkdizzle,

I have a question for you. When you talk about seeing a colored "glow" is that like a glow around an object, or is it like wearing glasses w/ that tint? For me, It's like my glasses are tinted slightly pink. Also it happens for about five minutes and then goes away. Then it happens again later. Does this sound like what you're going through?

You're right about my eyes being important. It's wierd that she didn't even look in my eyes at the hospital last night. Anyway, I'll go to see my opthomologist this week. I need to make sure everything is okay.

Take Care

i guess the glow i see is a bit different then you... it is not like a tint where everything has the colored hue to it..

let me see if i can explain it and have it make sense(it is really odd and i have a hard time putting it into words)..

say i am looking at something that is actually the color Blue or Purple like a plastic cup, if i look at it with only my unaffected eye it looks normal.. if i close my unaffected eye and look at it with the "ON" eye it looks as if the cup is lit up with neon and it glows like a neon sign would glow (very intense color).. everything else around it looks normal... this only happens with the colors blue and purple.. my optho and neuro both say it is from the ON damage.. it may or may not clear up in time..

i also was getting flashes of colored light (all the colors of the rainbow) in my vision before the ON went into full swing (loss of vision, intense pain)... the flashes looked like a little fireworks display and only lasted for a split second at a time..

hope that all made sense..

Old 02-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #13
(female)

Peanutsmom247 HB User

Punkdizzle,

Yes, that made perfect sense! Actually, that fireworks thing happened to me. The other night I was lying in bed with my eyes closed. Okay, I confess, I was meditating. Anyway, when I opened my eyes, I saw a dark blue spark. LOL- until now I thought it was something spiritual . It could have had something to do with the darkness... Now I'm thinking it might have something to do with what's going on. That was a few nights ago, so I wonder if it was right before I started having these problems.

Closed Thread