It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
(male)

BlueJay67 HB User
Question Twitches and Tingling

Hi all,

I'm wondering how many of you experience twitches and whether you find them related to your MS. I started with this about 15 years ago, around the time that I'm thinking the MS started. My muscle twitches are small and random. They come and go. Today I have one that has been all day long on my lower left jaw. At the same time I have some tingling around the outside of my left eye, not on the eyelid, but farther out. I get this tingling sensation in the pattern of my beard sometimes as well. The twitches can be anywhere. For a year I had a twitch on and off that was coming from an abdominal muscle. It was so odd. Every time I mentioned it to a doc, though, they would just dismiss it. I didn't mention it to my neuro, but was just thinking about it now since I had a bad day with it. My right thumb was twitching around a lot today, too. Anyway...I'm curious. Anyone else experience either of these as related to MS?

Jayson

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User
Re: Twitches and Tingling

i wish i could give yo a simple yes or no answer but i honestly dont know if it is MS related or not... i also have the twitches in random parts of my body but mostly in my arms or neck.. they can last from a few sec. to an hour for me.. they dont hurt but they do feel really weird..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
(female)

Peanutsmom247 HB User

I don't have an ms dx, but I have those twitches randomly throughout my body all the time. My boyfriend (an RN) insists that they're normal. At the same time, I've done a lot of reading about them, and some web sites say that twitches in the eyelids, thumbs, calves, and maybe a couple of other places are normal. However, persistent twitching in other places is not normal and indicates some type of neurological illness. Now, again, my boyfriend says that this is not true because muscles are very particular and differing levels of just about anything in your body can mess up the communication between nerves and muscles.

So... there you have it . Probably not wondering any less than you were before haha. Maybe do a search about it on the net and see what you come up with. My neuro. did ask me about it quite a bit, but I guess he's ruled out the problems he was looking for that may have been related.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Life4Fun HB User

For what it's worth, because we all experience different symptoms and events with this disease, I will give you my 2 cents.

I notice that I twitch a lot in my right hand, but mostly when I am overheated. I asked my neurologist about this during a visit and he said it was attributable to the MS. It is not painful and not really annoying at this point. I have had some other twitches, but again, they are not bothersome. I used to get twitches in my eyelids, but that was before the diagnosis or any thought of MS. Perhaps it was related.

When I moved to Argentina a year ago, I fell down on the sidewalk 5 times within the first 4 months. I blamed it all on the uneven sidewalks, but when I saw the neuro a few weeks ago during a bad relapse that caused me to fly back up here, he said that this being clumbsy is related to a few lesions that he saw that have cropped up recently and showed up with the MRI with contrast -- they were enahncing.

So, while I hate to put everything that happens to my body on the MS, I am thinking that it probably is. It's too bad I was so stubborn because it's likely this relapse started when I moved. It was still summer in March, April and May and it most likely brought it on. I should have found a neurologist immediately and gotten checked so that I could have gotten on the IV steroid treatment, although I would not have liked to have experienced that in Argentina. The standards of medical hygeine are not what we are accustomed to here.

I would say that if you have things that are happening that you can't explain, or that bother you physically, or that you worry about, that it's well worth seeking medical advice.

One thing I don't see people write much about on these boards is the MS Society or the organizations that help patients on the medications that they are taking for MS. I called the MS Society during the big relapse that put me in the hospital and ended in the MS dx and they were very kind and caring and helpful. It doesn't cost anything and they are there for to help. If nothing else, they listen and understand and have referrals if you need one for good doctors in your area.

Frannie

Closed Thread