It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

lestoby HB User
Facial Numbness

What does facial numbness feel like? If you have this symptom, can you please describe.

I have always had a heavy pain feeling in my eyebrows where it feels like they are enlarged and falling down and I have to constantly keep lifting them back up (hard to describe).

And now, I have been having an intermittent throbbing / pulsating (like a wave or thump) feeling between my cheek and jaw - right about the level of my back molar on my lower jaw. It was hurting a few days ago, and now it is just a "sensation". Initially, I thought I was coming down with a possible earache (like the ear / sinus was draining into this point), but I have no other symptoms, nor does it feel like a toothache.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Old 03-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
(female)

rhondabuzz HB User
Re: Facial Numbness

Hi Lestoby

I've had some facial numbness and to me it feels like a heaviness and kinda like how u'r face feels after it's mostly back alive after a dentist appointment. It started out with a slight tingling in my cheekbone area...from there on out it's been numb off and on.

About the ear thing...i too have a weird thing in my ear(s). Mostly in my left ear. It feels like my ear is "draining" at times..and sometimes like how they feel when they get stopped up when u have a cold...but it only lasts a min or less. The draining feeling is the same way...only a min or less...but often enuf that it's annoying.

Hope this helps even tho it's not really what u were lookin for! Good luck and i'll keep u in my prayers.

rhondabuzz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
(female)

1Thes518 HB User

Hi, I have not been diagnosed with anything yet, but do have facial tingling. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like soda bubbles! The right side of my face, from under eyes, down to jaw feels like a gentle "bubbling" tingle. In addition, I have a harsher sensation, that feels like a hair in my face, and it runs down from my eye, next to my nose. It feels like someone is dragging a string down my face. Hope this helps.

1Thess518

Old 03-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

Oh my. I've never replied on a thread about facial numbness, but the last hour of my work day today I kept trying to get the hair off my face beside my nose. After about 15 minutes of trying I realized it was a little touch of numbness.
I remembered that I've had the "problem" before, just didn't realize what it was. I wouldn't call it "facial numbness", just a small, slightly numb spot.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Life4Fun HB User

Lesto and Rhonda,

It's so funny you should mention this ear sensation. I have been having that a lot in the past year or so. To me it feels like when you (ok, sorry but this is gross) sniffle in really hard and your ear feels like it's stopped up like when you are on an airplane or going up or down a mountain. Sometimes I have to blow my nose or just swallow or yawn to make it go away. It's like equalizing pressure when you are SCUBA diving. I thought this was just a weird thing like I had a cold or even when I didn't have a cold, but seeing a few people post about something similar tells me that it must be the MS. On ocassion, I notice that one of my ears will just feel like it's got pressure and some slight ringing, but it goes away quickly. Have any of you read about an MS patient having hearing loss? I have not, but now I am going to worry about it.

Now WHAT in the world could cause this to happen to us?

And about the eyelid thing. Maybe I have watched too many reality TV shows about plastic surgery, but I have been thinking that I am just getting old and my eyelids need a lift (not that I would EVER have the nerve to go under the knife for it). I will sometimes just take my index finger and lift my lid at the brow just the smallest amount and it feels like I can see better and like my eyelids are so much lighter. I have been wishing for special invisible tape that could do the trick! haha But maybe there is nothing related to sagging eyelids at all and it's just another thing to have to deal with for me.

Frannie

Old 04-01-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
(female)

KAREN B HB User

I HAVE HAD MS FOR APPOXIMATELY 6 YEARS AND HAVE HEARING LOSS IN BOTH OF MY EARS. AS FOR THE NUMBNESS IN THE FACE... JUST IMAGINE YOU GETTING A NOVACANE SHOTS IN YOUR FACE.. THAT IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING THIS PAST MONTH OR SO.. HAD TO HAVE NUMEROUS SOLUMEDROL SHOTS TO GET IT BACK TO NORMAL SO I CAN ACTUALLY SCRATCH MY ITCH IF I HAD ONE. WHEN MY RECENT RELAPSE HAPPENED I LOST ALL HEARING IN BOTH OF MY EARS FOR ABOUT 10 SECONDS.. I WAS WEARING A HEARING AIDE IN MY RIGHT EAR AT THE TIME AND WENT FOR A HEARING TEST AND NOW MY LEFT EAR IS AS BAD AS MY RIGHT EAR. I SWITCHED EARS WITH MY HEARING AIDE AS MY INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER THE COST OF A HEARING AIDE AND I CAN ONLY AFFORD TO PAY FOR ONE AS THEY ARE ALMOST 1500.00 EACH. BUT I ASKED MY NEURO ABOUT IT AND SHE SAID MS DEFINATELY CAUSES HEARING LOSS IN MOST PATIENTS.
I WOULD RECOMMENT EVERYONE TO HAVE HEARING TESTS DONE FREQUENTLY.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL

Old 04-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

lestoby HB User

Wow, I never knew about MS related hearing issues.

I still say my family does not speak clearly and mumbles, because if I ask somebody else near me, "what did they say?', ther person says, "I have no idea, it sounded like gibberish".

So, its not my hearing, it is their speech problems. LOL

Old 04-01-2006, 05:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

I recently revisited the MS Society website and did notice they mention hearing loss in some patients. I too live with someone who mumbles and it drives me crazy, but I do think my hearing has changed. You know the question, "If you had to lose your sight or your hearing, which would you choose to give up?" No question for me, I would give up sight. I just don't think I could live without music...

Old 04-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
(female)

orngcrayon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life4Fun
Have any of you read about an MS patient having hearing loss? I have not, but now I am going to worry about it.
I posted just a couple of days ago about a neck/ear problem I've had since my dx. I do have hearing loss in my right ear related to my first MS attack. Most of my symptoms went away, but I'm told the hearing loss is neurological and permanent. Anyway, you can read my post from before if you want to learn more. This isn't one of the more common symptoms, but it definately happens.

I have this pressure sensation you describe - thats actually how I found the hearing loss.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:59 PM   #10

zander67 HB User

look into trigeminal neuralgia it is a nerve disorder characterized by the following:

eye pain and electric shock eye pain
false feeling of tooth ache
false feeling of ear fullness or ache
pain betweeen lip and nose slightly toward cheek
upper jaw pain radiating toward ear
neck pain top of head pain, feels like jack hammer through top center of skull
feels like too much work to eat
feels real bad !!!!!!!!
not as common in beginning ms but does happen

Last edited by zander67; 04-04-2006 at 09:00 PM.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:53 PM   #11
(female)

TamCazz HB User

Hi
I am new to the site, and recently diagnosed. I also experienced intermittent hearing loss in my left ear - but this was one of my first symptoms of MS. Ultimately, I ended up with left trigeminal neuritis. I've been on Baclofen and Depakote for this ever since.

For the past year, I've had numbness in my face, hand, leg, etc...all on the left. When I touch my face, it feels like I'm wearing a latex glove. I've lost my sense of taste, as well.

This past month, I was on Solumedrol IV for ON. I experienced the same type of hearing disturbance in my right ear, but also heard what sounded like church bells, which I didn't have on the left. I can totally relate to the mumbling! I can't understand anything anyone says to me. I feel so bad asking people to repeat themselves.

Tammy

The following user gives a hug of support to TamCazz:
rissie (06-30-2011)
Closed Thread