It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2006, 07:59 AM   #1
(female)

Traya HB User
One side of body fell asleep..????

I've been having ms-like symptoms for 10 years now. During that time I've gone through many periods of days or weeks where I'm so fatigued that just getting up and showering in the morning is enough to make me want to go back to bed. I've also become very accustomed to the tingling/vibrating sensations in my body, occasional numbness in my face (esp. chin) and feet, burning sensations in my arms and legs, and sudden severe stabbing pains in my arms and legs that literally take my breath away, but then are gone instantly. But then I'll go through months, or even up to a year once or twice where I feel wonderful. I have an MRI coming up in August.

But the thing that really made me nervous recently is that I woke up in the middle of the night, sleeping on my left side, and my entire right side from my toes to my face was 'asleep'. I got up, and had a hard time walking, it was as if I had to get the circulation going, and it took a few minutes. Until I fell asleep again my right cheek continuted to tingle. The whole episode really unnerved me. Is is possible to fall asleep on your entire side? Or does this sound like probable ms? Any ideas would be appreciated. Oh, and btw, my doctor and neurologist say my symptoms are absolutely not sounding like a tumor... (and if anyone things it sounds like that, please don't share it with me, as I don't think I can cope with extra stress right now! ) The only thing they're thinking it might be is MS.

Thanks for listening...

Traya

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

shellymay HB User
Re: One side of body fell asleep..????

I'm sorry that you are having these problems!! I know exactly what you are going through though. My feet stay numb all the time and are ice cold and blue. I have trouble with balance and I also have sensations in different parts of my body that feel like when I touch it that it has been burned or something like it is real sensitive. I see floaters all the time. I could go on and on. I understand that it is unnerving to not understand what is going on. I went for multiple MRI's and diagnostic test last year and the year before and was told that everything was normal. I was thinking that maybe I had a brain tumor and that was really upsetting me. I'm sure that you are fine. Are you having any other symptoms besides the numbness or body falling asleep on one side? We are here for you if you need to talk. Isn't this message board wonderful!!!! I will pray for you!!

Michelle

Old 05-02-2006, 06:12 AM   #3
(female)

sooty HB User

Traya, I get the burning and tingling sensations and the stabbing pains which are horrible, when it was really bad I got Gabapentin (Neurotin) which really helped. I had a 'dead' arm recently which awoke me and was very scary, but I don't know if this is related or not.

I think the main thing is that you are getting an MRI, then the neuros will be able to say what's next after that, you may have to go for lots of tests which all takes time and there is lots of uncertainty. I've had two MRIs, evoked potentials, blood tests, and lastly an Lumber Puncture, all over two years. August seems a long way off, can they move this sooner? Anyway, 'while you wait' read up on what you can and post any worries or questions on here (that's what I do!) Best wishes. Sooty.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
(female)

Traya HB User

I know, I'm feeling like August is a long way off! I'm on a cancellation list, (me and probably 150 other people!) so I guess there's a small chance of getting in sooner. Here's another question... if something is going to show up on an MRI, will it show up regardless of whether I'm having symptoms at the time of the test? (does that make sense...?)

And Michelle, yes I've had other symptoms as well. I from time to time (not often) feel like the soles of both feet are burning and this past year I've had trouble with my eyes, minor blurriness and trouble focusing, although I've attributed that to normal aging, especially since eye problems are hereditary in my family. There are other things too, but I can't think of them right now.

Thanks for your words of encouragement both of you!

Traya

Last edited by Traya; 05-03-2006 at 06:44 AM.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:49 AM   #5
(female)

Sashi HB User

Lesions should show up reguardless of if you're having symptoms or not...
But August?! Yeesh...the MRI I had only 3 or 4 days after the neuro refered me. The results only took 2 or 3 days to get back.

Maybe I just got lucky?

Closed Thread