It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
(male)

JackBeam HB User
Heavy Limbs & Shortness of Breath

I'm experiencing episodes of heavy limbs and shortness of breath. Episodes of each are usually exclusionary of the other...i.e. when I'm suffering with shortness of breath my arms and legs feel fine...when I'm experience limb fatigue my breathing is fine.

I don't experience weakness...it's really more of an annoying muscle fatigue, sometimes in the arms, sometimes in the legs.

Absolute strength is always there, but if I do something repetitive with, say my arm when using a hammer against a nail, my arm will start to fatigue...badly.

This started happening 10 years ago, at which point I had nerve conduction tests and a brain MRI...bot of which came up normal.

Now, fast forward 10 years and the frequency and severity has increased this past month.

My questions...

Is this MS?

I don't think it's ALS since my understanding is that ALS symptoms do not come and go, rather once an affected area debilitates, it doesn't recover.

Thanks for any help. There are a lot of great people here.

Last edited by JackBeam; 05-06-2006 at 09:46 AM.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

shellymay HB User
Re: Heavy Limbs & Shortness of Breath

I have the same exact thing!!! Some days are worse than others and it can also happen at different times of the day. What I mean is I can wake up feeling fine but later on have the muscle fatigue. I also have the shortness of breath. I have not been diagnosed with MS but something is definitely going on. Just thought that I would let you know that you are not alone!!! Hope you get to feeling better!!

Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
(male)

JackBeam HB User

Thanks for replying. Hope you feel better, too.

Whether these symptoms are MS or not...it's troubling to me that I may very well have to live like this for the rest of my life.

I'll go for months at a time with no symptoms, feeling great thinking perhaps this time I'm finally over 'it'.

Only for a relapse to throw a bucket of cold water bringing me back down. Last 3 or 4 weeks have been particularly annoying. It's tested my relationship with my wife, and it's particularly upsetting to me if it affects my play time with my son. I hate telling him that I can't go out to play.

Of course, the worst part is not knowing what's happening.

I had bloodwork done last week and everything came back normal. I'm seeing my family doctor this week and I'll be asking him to set me up with a neurologist and start a new round of MRI and other tests.

I'll be sure to chronicle my adventures here.

Old 05-07-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

shellymay HB User

Keep in touch and let us know how you are. If you need to talk just let us know that too!! This message board is awesome. It's nice to talk with others going through the same thing we are. I'm going to see an eye doctor Tuesday to see if he sees anything. Sometimes eye doctors can see MS before a neurologist can. Good luck with your family doctor and be persistent. You know your body better than anyone else!! Stay in touch!

Michelle

Old 05-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
(male)

JackBeam HB User

One thing I have never experienced is numbness or tingling...which I think is a common but not certain MS symptom. Correct?

Anyway, today I feel like total crap. Woke up with nausea, my legs felt lethargic and now my right arm feels heavy.

I've changed my diet substantially last month. No more coffee, and I'm slowly cutting out processed food.

This bulls**t has gotta stop.

Closed Thread