It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Tabby111 HB User
10 THINGS THAT WORK. Please read.

Suffered an M.S. attack past winter. Had small symptoms past 7 years. (Lived in denial until recently faced with monster)

In case this helps anyone else, I want to share the following things that I’ve done to completely regain my good health.

1) Stretch spine

a) Hold any stretch that alleviates compression of the vertebrae joints (anything that resembles the fetal position)
b) Specifically; (for all three, keep head forward to also stretch neck)

1) Touch toes lying on your side in bed, hold for at least 10 seconds
2) Do a pike stretch—sit with legs straight in front of you, lean forward as far as can, hold for at least 10 seconds
3) Exercise ball slide technique— This stretch alone instantaneously eliminated the numbness in my arms:

Very slowly (entire stretch takes about 20 seconds, it will stretch entire spine while the ball also supports it; from lower back all the way through neck) Start by sitting with your lower back supported on the side of the ball. Legs should be bent at a 90 degree angle to the floor and have feet flat on floor. Remember to keep your head forward during this stretch (your body should look like the letter C). You want your vertebrae joints slightly in a stretch apart, not in compression. Slowly roll forward until you have slid down almost sitting on the floor. (Use a wall in front of you to help stabilize balance and speed.) As you slide down, the ball will slowly roll back creating a very nice massaging effect on your back. (Have someone hold the ball more stable from behind if this is a problem) As the stretch reaches your upper back, reach behind your head and grab each side of the ball, just so you can control the speed when stretching your neck. Gently finish stretching your neck against the ball—you should nearly be lying on the floor at this point (And feel great!)

c) If you have lower body muscle spasms, twitches, or vibrations; lower back nerves may be compressed and need above mentioned stretching (the same with spasms in upper body; caused by upper spine compression especially in the neck area)

2) Massage spinal muscles

a) Gently use fingertips to rub muscles on either side of spine from neck to tailbone (if can reach do it yourself, or get someone to massage them for you)
b) The reason: alleviates knots in muscles or simply tension that can constrict nerve signals and/or blood circulation to outer extremities.
c) Do them (stretches or massages) at night to relax for bedtime or anytime during the day if you are able to do so (in the middle of a meeting at work or at home with kids) look down and reach back with your hands and massage your neck muscles for a few moments at a time.

3) Supplement Digestive Enzymes

a) Just recently (by taking a multi-enzyme supp.)
I experienced tremendous muscular strength, stamina, and the disappearance of any joint pain (which I didn’t know was a problem since it had persisted so long—the past 20 years—it seemed normal to me)
b) Supplement multi-enzymes that break down the macro nutrients: Protein, Fats, and Carbohydrates. My supplement includes the following enzymes:
1) Pancreatin
2) Amylase
3) Protease (from papaya fruit)
4) Bromelain
5) Papain
6) Pepsin
7) Lipase
8) Cellulase

4) Sunshine on skin (to make Vitamin D in skin)

a) Get 20 minutes of mid-day sun on skin 5 to 6 days a week (if near the equator, it can be any hour of day)
b) If overheating is a problem, use ice pack on head and chest
c) Do not shower or bathe for 2 hours after sunning
d) Do not swim in a chlorinated pool for 2 hours after sunning (washes off body oil needed for Vitamin D synthesis in the skin)

5) Calcium**Calcium**Calcium

a) Eat foods high in calcium. My favorites: hard cheeses (block cheddar), steamed broccoli, dark red kidney beans, yogurt—w/out aspartame (Avoid Aspartame, all NutraSweet products and Sacharrin) —eat plain yogurt and add a little honey instead)
b) Avoid excessive use of diuretics like all sources of caffeine that contribute to serum calcium loss through excessive urinating. Enjoy them in the minority, once or twice a week.

c) Avoid sodas with phosphoric acid. It alters your phosphorus-to-calcium ratio (should be nearly equal, 1:1) needed to regulate many functions in the body. Consuming extra calcium will NOT correct the ratio.

6) Rest

a) Get enough rest and REM stage sleep for cells to regenerate (avoid artificial substances that wear on the Central Nervous System or at least cut down on them)
b) Find ways to relax and reach vivid-dream level sleep.

7) Fat in diet

a) Get around 30-40% of total calories from fat calories--NO less and NO more
b) Your brain and vital organs properly function on sufficient fat in your diet
c) Vitamins A, D, E and K are fat soluble and are needed to maintain good health

8) Vitamin C

a) Eat foods high in Vitamin C since your body cannot make it and must have it. We must consume it in our diet.
b) I recommend supplementing 500 to 1000mg of Vitamin C per day. I’ve experienced great benefits from supplementing it (ask me for details). Other sources say to take higher doses, however; be advised, a March 2000 medical study report concludes that high doses cause hardening of the arteries. So, take some, not extra.
c) Vitamin C consumed at the same time as food sources sufficient in protein and iron promotes formation of red blood cells and hemoglobin needed to carrying oxygen to cells—significant in M.S. when it comes to brain cell oxygenation.

9) Supplement Vitamin B-12

a) Need Vitamin B-12 for healthy nervous system function
b) Need Vitamin B-12 to form myelin and proper immune system function
c) I take a supp with all Vitamin B’s: B1, B2, B3, B6, and B12’s along with biotin, pantothenic acid, liver powder, and brewer’s yeast

10) Water

a) Drink with thirst—drink water only or crunch on ice
b) Fill 60-70% of each meal with water-enriched fiber (any raw fruits or raw vegetables)
b) If you give up sodas or alcohol or anything that works artificially on the Central Nervous System, you will naturally crave what 70 percent of your body needs—water

The most significant thing for me is doing the back stretches and neck massages, as it permanently gave me back feeling and function in my arms and hands. The stretches also immediately stop any muscle twitching that I do still get from time to time (especially after sitting or jogging—both compress the lower back)

I hope the 10 things I've outlined above bring relief to anyone else with this very painful condition. It's common stuff we may have all heard of, but if you're not currently doing it, give 'em a try for at least 3 months. I've had a full recovery (just the muscle twitching remains which isn't painful, just annoying, and goes away by stretching) I hope it works for you too.

Last edited by Tabby111; 06-18-2006 at 06:49 AM. Reason: added info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread