It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2006, 10:32 PM   #1
(male)

steerpike HB User
Possible MS? Post-infectious MS? Advice?

Hi.... I've been having MS/CFS symptoms for the past 1.5 months. Interestingly, I had a chronic sore throat and fatigue previous to the development of neurological symptoms. I'm 27 and Male.

Symptom-wise, I've been having tingling/post-exertional weakness in the upper body (hands, arms, trunk, face, teeth, lips), cognitive problems, and extreme fatigue. So far, I don't seem to have any 'true muscle weakness'... I can push and lift things well enough (after, the muscles involved feel very spent); no abnormal reflexes; and no sensory loss (I can still feel pin pricks at all locations). The weakness/numbness is also symmetrical-- kind of feels like my body has fallen asleep.

Cognitive problems: after any exertion, the world tends to take on an odd appearance, and I feel slightly removed-- almost like being drugged. My short term memory is typically affected. Generally, after walking several blocks, I start to fall asleep on my feet.

Does this sound indicative of MS? Anybody with similar experiences?
3 emergency room doctors have told me I've got post-viral syndrome. Still, it seems to wax and wane, especially when antibiotics are involved. Stress tends to make it much, much worse.

I'm seeing a neurologist in 10 days.... lots of worry until then, I guess. Any advice? I've also seen a Lyme doctor.... he's given me 6 weeks of Biaxin, in case nothing else turns up at my neurology appointment. Lots of blood work to be done too-- tick diseases, hematology, B12, etc.

(my Cbc, esr, c-reative, c3c4, diabetes, kidney, liver, thyroid, electrolytes were all ok).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User
Re: Possible MS? Post-infectious MS? Advice?

Hi, I'm glad that you are going to see a neuro and I'm sorry to hear you are feeling ill. These symptoms are indicative of MS but there are also indicative other other things. It's good that they are testing for many things and eliminating some. When I was "coming down" with MS, an emergency room doc also told me they thought it was post-viral syndrome. I've also had the experience of anti-botics making things worse.

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Old 07-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #3
(male)

steerpike HB User

Hi Sunshine,
Did you have an infection previous to your diagnosis of MS, I'm just curious? I've had an awful sore throat for the longest time along with generalized malaise-- interestingly penicillin seemed to clear up the sore throat (doesn't do much at the moment though.... maybe because it was used too often). On the whole, this thing-- neurological symptoms included-- has been going on for about 6 months. Now that I'm off penicillin, the sore throat seems to be coming back.

I'll really hoping that the neurological stuff is infection related and will go away after my 6 week regimen of biaxin. Who knows? It could turn out to be MS too, conincidentally.

I'm really hoping that international stem cell research continues unabated.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
(male)

steerpike HB User

Hi.... I thought I'd been forgotten. Thanks for the attention.

Good news: I had an MRI this week... although the results aren't back yet. I'm not sure whether I should be hoping for lesions or not ;( My nerve conduction tests were normal.... haven't had a spinal tap or EMG yet though.

I haven't been having a particularly bad time of it lately.... I just stay at home and play on my computer, etc. I'm mostly fine provided I don't over exert myself. Luckily my parents are helping me out a bit. Still, I occasionally worry I have something worse than normal MS.... i.e. malignant, Marburg variant MS or ALS.

Bad news: The MRI cost me $900 (I live in Canada and if you don't pay, you wait 6 months). My arms and legs seem to be getting progressively weaker. My sore throat seems to have returned as well. Plus the cognitive symptoms aren't exactly great... I feel spaced out (after exertion) and occasionally stutter.

I've decided to start Lyme antibiotic treatment.... I haven't tested positive or anything, but hey it's worth a shot. I've heard that some MS'rs actually have Lyme or Chlamydia or Mycoplasma infections.... not all, but some.

Biaxin and Plaquenil. Should be fun for the liver.

I've also been giving the holistic stuff a try lately, with Curcumin, digestive enzymes, green tea, fish oil, B12, etc; these have all been medically proven in a number of rat studies. The regimen seems to help the buzzing/numbness, but not the weakness.
Could be worse, I guess

Closed Thread