It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2006, 04:45 AM   #1
(male)

KFXrider88 HB User
What Does MRI with contrast show?

Hey, I just went to the neurologist and she wants me to get a MRI with contrast. I had a MRI before but she wants me to redo because they didn't use contrast last time. SO what is the contrast supposed to show that the MRI without contrast doesn't show? and does anyone know how long a EEG takes to do? thanks for any info, i really appreciate it!

Old 07-24-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: What Does MRI with contrast show?

An MRI with contrast shows active abnormal processes going on in the brain.

An EEG depends on if its sleep deprived or not.The sleep deprived took me about 2 hours.The a wake one was about 40 minutes.

Hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2006, 07:21 AM   #3
(female)

MarissaC8 HB User

I was told that the contrast helps them see the lessions weather active or inactive, but they will be able to see the difference in the active vs. the inactive areas.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
(male)

KFXrider88 HB User

HEy, thanks for the replys! What are lesions? does the MRI with contrast show abnormal levels of neurotransmitters as well?

Old 07-24-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
(female)

MarissaC8 HB User

Lesions are scar tissue. MS is when the Immune system attacks the myelin (the fatty coating that protects the nerves in the central nervous system) during an attack the contrast will show the difference between an active attack and what is left behind (scar tissue) during an attack it will not all be scar tissue yet.

Picture your body like a computer. If you take peel away the plastic covers of the computer cords there are metal wires on the inside. With the wires exposed they can short circuit. You can put electrical tape over the exposed wires, but they will not be the same. That is a lot like our nervous system. But the immune system exposes our wires that causes us to short circuit per say. I know not the best example, but that was how I demonstrated it to my daughter. I hope you under stand a little better. Check out the national MS society. They have a ton of helpful information.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
(female)

Chintzy HB User

I have had numbness off and on for years and had mri years ago with no ms diagnosis. Had other numbness lately in temple area and eye area. Mri with and without contrant last month. Radiologist report doesn't say ms but am worried about what the neurologist report says. I am to see my md soon. The MRI report says (Scattered hyperintense foci involving the cerebral white matter which are nonspecific though may represent possible demyelination. or chronic microangiopathic changes.) Anyone know if this could be ms? Thanks for any help.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
(female)

hkholwerda HB User

Below is exactly the definition provided by NMSS [url]www.nationalmssociety.org[/url]
Take a look at the info. Good luck and stay postivie, MS is not the end of the world

MS is thought to be an autoimmune disease that affects the central nervous system (CNS). The CNS consists of the brain, spinal cord, and the optic nerves. Surrounding and protecting the nerve fibers of the CNS is a fatty tissue called myelin, which helps nerve fibers conduct electrical impulses.

In MS, myelin is lost in multiple areas, leaving scar tissue called sclerosis. These damaged areas are also known as plaques or lesions. Sometimes the nerve fiber itself is damaged or broken.

Myelin not only protects nerve fibers, but makes their job possible. When myelin or the nerve fiber is destroyed or damaged, the ability of the nerves to conduct electrical impulses to and from the brain is disrupted, and this produces the various symptoms of MS.

Closed Thread